(Archived) Using Evernote Login in Skitch App

johntdavis

Hello,

I'm a longtime Evernote user and am very excited to start using Skitch. I downloaded Skitch.app from the Mac App Store, but I can't figure out how to use my Evernote credentials to log in with it. I can use them fine on the Skitch website, and have even begun uploading pictures. I cannot figure out how to use the same login information in the Skitch app. Whenever I give the app my username, it acts as though I'm trying to set up a new account, and if I click "Personalize ..." it acts like I'm trying to set up a new "anonymous" account.

I'm guessing I have to wait for an update to the Skitch app. Or am I doing something wrong?

Try this:

Go to Skitch Preferences>Share>Skitch.com . Delete the anonymous user, add your account details, then restart the app and it should be linked to the online account. If that doesn't work for you, please file a support request.

Try this:

Go to Skitch Preferences>Share>Skitch.com . Delete the anonymous user, add your account details, then restart the app and it should be linked to the online account. If that doesn't work for you, please file a support request.

Hello,

Thank you for the response. When I try to add a new account as you suggest, it just asks me for an account name ("location name"), and doesn't let me put in a password. After restarting, it still acts like I'm using an account name it doesn't recognize. Am I still doing something wrong? It seems like it should ask me for a password at some point.

I will go ahead and file a support request.

I have wasted a ton of time with this and filed a support ticket. I love Evernote and have been a premium subscriber for 16 months. I trust Evernote and use it and love it.

re: Skitch - It just doesn't work at the moment at all. It really needs a fix, if it is to carry the Evernote brand name

the log in is a mess (in the mac app) - in fact, the app looks amazing - but in many ways a lot of the usability needs redoing. It is just messy and wrong! you really need to rethink Skitch. it could be brilliant (and much of it already is) but the bad bits are really bad and need be redone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heather,

I'm really excited about Skitch becoming part of the Evernote family and, like @matthewkupon, I'm happy to wait until Skitch is all fixed-up before using it.

I've tried to set it up as @johntdavis tried to but have encountered the same problems. I downloaded Skitch for my Mac and registered on the site at the same time with my Evernote username. But now, when I try to set that as my account name in the Skitch Mac app, I click the "Personalize my Account" button in the Share tab in Preferences but that takes me to the Skitch.com site Personalize Profile page where my user name is set to "unnamed-ur5e". When I try to change it to my Evernote account name, I'm told that name is already taken.

I think all that needs to happen is that you allow us to merge our Skitch account with our Evernote account. Is this going to be possible, do you think?

Looking forward to using Skitch with Evernote!

Chris

i had the issue of not being able to login using my Evernote account like some other users.

it is probably just an early integration issue with Evernote, but think I solved the login issue. (until Evernote comes up with a better fix)

here is how i fixed it.

1. take a screen-shot/grab

2. click Share

*. Skitch will try to upload, but since no account has been setup, it will pause and ask you for your Evernote/Skitch credentials.*

3. enter your Evernote credentials

4. it's working now...give somebody a hug :)

that said,

1. I would love to see an option to Skitch-a-Window/App...like ScreenShot Plus does (Dashboard app)

2. an auto-save (like a temp save to Downloads or "User Set Folder" would be nice...would hate to do some work and then you lose the Skitch over some crash or accidental close of the app

8)

i had the issue of not being able to login using my Evernote account like some other users.

it is probably just an early integration issue with Evernote, but think I solved the login issue. (until Evernote comes up with a better fix)

here is how i fixed it.

2. click Share

*. Skitch will try to upload, but since no account has been setup, it will pause and ask you for your Evernote/Skitch credentials.*

4. it's working now...give somebody a hug :)

that said,

1. I would love to see an option to Skitch-a-Window/App...like ScreenShot Plus does (Dashboard app)

2. an auto-save (like a temp save to Downloads or "User Set Folder" would be nice...would hate to do some work and then you lose the Skitch over some crash or accidental close of the app

8)

This way worked for me :)

Re: Using Evernote Login in Skitch App

by eloyramirez on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:43 am

here is how i fixed it.

2. click Share

4. it's working now...give somebody a hug

@eloyramirez: I want to give you a hug! Thanks for saving me a ton of frustration! Evernote/skitch team: fix this ASAP! People need to be able to log in from the Mac app in a simple way.

I guess maybe the alternative is to create a skitch account and then link it to evernote, but what a pain...

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Using Evernote Login in Skitch App

by eloyramirez on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:43 am

here is how i fixed it.

2. click Share

4. it's working now...give somebody a hug

Yep, worked for me too. Thanks ever so much for posting this solution!

Unfortunately, those steps didn't work for me. I tried a number of variations as well, same problem - setting up the Skitch account doesn't want my Evernote (or Skitch) credentials. I'm not getting prompted for them as described - I just put them in the email / password fields in the Skitch account setup (the only place for them) and when I try to share, it fails. There's gotta be an easier way.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.

it doesn't work

There is potential with this app, but hit needs a lot of work, a lot of simplification and a lot of refinement before I will look at it again. It's not about money. I am happy to pay for apps when they work properly. It's about the user experience, which, in this case, is frankly a bit *****.

Archived