(Archived) Evernote acquires Skitch!!!

• Level 5*

Well, this is proof that Evernote can, and will, change its corporate mind about just what the scope of Evernote app should be. A few members of this forum routinely respond to a lot of feature requests that (paraphrasing) "Evernote doesn't and shouldn't do that. If you want that feature go somewhere else. Evernote is just for notes.".

It seems pretty clear to me from the blog post that Evernote plans to add some image editing capability to Evernote:

For years, one of our most requested feature areas has been related to improved handling of images and annotation capabilities. Our users take and share millions of photos and screenshots already, but the experience isn’t as good as it could be. We debated about whether to add the improved functionality into Evernote or build a separate app to handle it. Finally, we decided to do both.

Well, this is proof that Evernote can, and will, change its corporate mind about just what the scope of Evernote app should be. A few members of this forum routinely respond to a lot of feature requests that (paraphrasing) "Evernote doesn't and shouldn't do that. If you want that feature go somewhere else. Evernote is just for notes.".

It seems pretty clear to me from the blog post that Evernote plans to add some image editing capability to Evernote:

For years, one of our most requested feature areas has been related to improved handling of images and annotation capabilities. Our users take and share millions of photos and screenshots already, but the experience isn’t as good as it could be. We debated about whether to add the improved functionality into Evernote or build a separate app to handle it. Finally, we decided to do both.

Girl, please.

I'm sure it will be incorporated "soon"...

• Level 5*

It seems to me that they have said that Evernote isn't going to do image editing. Instead they have bought a 3rd party app and will integrate with it.

Skitch could have done this themselves before, or any other image editing app for that matter. I haven't seen anyone say that Skitch functionality is going to be built into Evernote - just that they will be tightly integrated and share logins.

You still can't edit your images with Evernote.

The other main promise was to have Skitch eventually available on every platform that Evernote is available on.

I had some difficulty understanding the business case for this acquisition, especially with Skitch immediately becoming a Free app. Think I finally understand it. One more way to generate and keep new users by buzz. The freemium model's success depends on keeping users long enough to get them addicted.

• Level 5*
The other main promise was to have Skitch eventually available on every platform that Evernote is available on.

I had some difficulty understanding the business case for this acquisition, especially with Skitch immediately becoming a Free app. Think I finally understand it. One more way to generate and keep new users by buzz. The freemium model's success depends on keeping users long enough to get them addicted.

It's probably also cheaper to buy an existing image editor and do some simple integration than it is to build one from scratch. It's pretty clear that Skitch planned on supporting more platforms (they didn't start building the Android client yesterday), plus they open up Evernote to the existing Skitch community.

Remember 1/2m Premium accounts is supporting 12m users - they are only converting a relatively small percentage but are still making money.

The freemium model's success depends on keeping users long enough to get them addicted.

I'm not sure if that's Curtis Mayfield or Steppenwolf I'm hearing in my head.

As I mainly use the Windows desktop client, image editing is no big deal; for the web client, which I use occasionally, this could be helpful, but ultimately this has minimal impact for me. .

Same here. On Windows, I use both Jetscreenshot & Snagit. But it would be cool for the web & iPhone versions...!!!

It's pretty clear that Skitch planned on supporting more platforms (they didn't start building the Android client yesterday),

Oh, I don't know. It couldn't have been that hard to implement, right??? :D

Archived