(Archived) Trash Sync?

I played around with the beta for a bit and noticed something. I normally don't use the web sync but I thought I'd play with it a bit. I imported a few PDFs into the Windows client. I then noticed how much space each was using and deleted two of the three PDFs. Then I did a sync. I was surprised that the trash is synced between the online & local clients. I'm sure this is working as designed, but I question the wisdom of this. In my case, I used several megabytes against my monthly upload quota that I wasn't expecting. To me, "trash is trash" and I can't see why I would want to waste bandwidth or quota space or time to synchronize notes I deleted.

I was happy to find out that notes created in a local folder and then deleted are not synchronized.

Maybe there should be an option to disable the trash sync?

Thanks,

Randy

We synchronize the trash, because you may have created a note on one client, synched it everywhere, and then put it in the trash on another client. This action needs to get synched around to notify all of the other clients what has happened. This is the same behavior you'll see for a "Deleted Items" folder in a mail system like Exchange.

We plan to add a warning when you sync with new items in the trash, however.

Emptying the trash will permanently remove notes, so I'd recommend doing this if you really don't want a note.

If I create a note in my desktop client, and then sync it, it goes to the cloud. Then, if I delete the note on the desktop client, it goes into trash. Let's say I don't empty my trash before synching. Then, next sync, the trash gets synced, so the cloud knows that note is to be deleted, and then move the cloud version of the note to the trash as well. So far so good.

But what if I empty the trash before synching? Then, there is no note anywhere in my desktop client, but the web still has its copy of the note. Your argument for synching the trash makes sense, but extrapolating it to this example implies that the note still exists in the cloud, because the web version has no way of knowing to delete that particular note. In fact, it sounds as if the note would be considered a "new" note, and then be synced again to the desktop version.

Now, I've just run a test. I create a note on the desktop. Then sync. Note appears on web. I then delete the note on the desktop. Then empty the trash. Then sync. The note is removed from the web. So, really, your argument that the trash is needed to tell the web what to delete doesn't hold in this situation. There must be other information, that we don't see, that updates the web as to what notes to delete?

Think of your client as queuing up a set of operations between synchronizations. When it syncs, it asks the service to perform these operations. (This is exactly how mail clients work with IMAP or Exchange when "offline").

So if you put a note in the trash and then sync, your client asks the server to put that note in the trash everywhere.

If you permanently delete a note on the client by emptying it from the trash on the client, your client asks the server to permanently remove it when you sync.

Thanks for the response. I figured that it was working as designed but with a 40mb quota on the free accounts somebody could be surprised to find out that they've used more of their quota than they thought. The warning would be nice.

Thanks,

Randy

Thanks ... there will be a warning in the next version of the Windows client if you make a note and put it in the trash before you sync.

The client also warns you when you hit 50% quota, so no one should get to 100% without some indication.

Archived