(Archived) Silly question? Or not?

NightStalker

Idea

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but is there a "rules" type scenario related to tags, whereby one can set up a rule that a particular tag causes a note to be moved to a particular notebook, for example?

So, say I have a whole pile of notes, all tagged as "Music stuff" for example, and I decide I have enough to set those up as a separate notebook. Is there any way I can set it up so that ANY note that gets tagged with the "Music stuff" tag automatically gets added to the "Music" notebook? And also the possibility of having a note in more than one notebook - for example if a note had TWO tags (eg "Music stuff" and "Christmas concert") could it be added to TWO notebooks?

I guess that would need the option to be attached to each tag- rules to be set for each tag. Is that already there and I've just missed it? Or if not, is it something that could be considered?

Bit like Mail.app rules, but attached to each tag?

12 replies to this idea

We did discuss at one point very very very early on the possibility of "smart tagging" - but that was too close to data mining for our sensibilities, so it was not implemented.

However, if you use a "tag" based heirarchy (as opposed to Notebooks) you can certainly have multiple tags assigned to the same note.

• Level 5*

Rule based auto-tagging would be very helpful, something akin to Outlook or Gmail's. Never heard of any plans to implement this, though -- I've suggested it myself. Might be a great 3rd-party addition.

You may not need a separate notebook for your music stuff, since you can always filter on that tag to isolate those notes, plus other criteria to narrow things down.

Notes appear in one notebook at a time. You might want to look into using note linking, though.

• Level 5*
We did discuss at one point very very very early on the possibility of "smart tagging" - but that was too close to data mining for our sensibilities, so it was not implemented.

Hey, if it helps me to mine my own data, you know, 20 years from now, how bad would that be??

Hmmm - not sure about the data mining bit.

What I had in mind was something similar to iTunes, whereby there is a master library (in EN's case - the master notebook) with EVERYTHING in it.

And the other notebooks would be like the Playlists in iTunes - they contain basically just pointers to the items in the "Everything" notebook.

Or is that basically just duplicating what tags already do?

Just dangling a thought bubble out there - smart tagging? tag rules? Not sure what it could be called, but I think you get the idea....

:D

I don't see how smart-tagging is data-mining unless you mean aggregating content across accounts or aggregatomg across share pernissions to implement smart-tagging. If you're talking about analyzing or counting keywords in my account for smart-tagging, as long as only my information is used for my account and the data isn't stored or shared any differently from the way the notes are stored in my account, I don't see a problem.

I would find it marvelous if Evernote would include some automatic content classification system á la DevonThink.

Archived