(Archived) Feature Request: Better Handling of Non-Text Items

DreamingMacaron

Idea

Hello everyone,

I've been using Evernote for a few months and mostly love it, but there's one kind of big problem I have with it: how the interface for creating a note isn't very friendly to things that aren't text.

It's a little hard for me to explain exactly what I mean but I'll try. Say you have a note containing a combination of images and text. Evernote handles it like a text editor such as MS Word would, with regards to how the note is formatted. So if you copy an image into a note, it's like copying a block of text: the image will retain the same justification, etc. and you get a little blinking text cursor at the end. Even if you have a note with multiple images and no text, Evernote treats each image like a character of text in how they "sit" next to each other, so the formatting of the note isn't very pretty. I haven't really used audio notes, but there seems to be the same problem there, with Evernote handling it text-editor style. I hope all of this makes sense?

Anyway, I guess what I'm suggesting is this: Evernote shouldn't be a glorified text editor, it should have a nicer way of dealing with all kinds of data. Maybe for notes with lots of images but no text, some kind of gallery thumbnail view? And for notes that are made up of a single image, maybe something like how Yojimbo works?

Well, let me know what you all think, or if what I'm trying to get across is unclear at all. Heh.

4 replies to this idea

I think you're being quite clear here. I only have one followup: a gallery thumbnail view wouldn't necessarily fix the higher level formatting you're looking for from note editing, correct? It'd just be another way of viewing a note with a high level of images, or audio, etc. I suppose it depends on your use case here. Are you looking for more editing options (like Word's image options, like position, wrap text, crop, etc) or are you looking for a better way to view a note chock-full of images?

Sorry for taking so long to reply back! ^^;;

Are you looking for more editing options (like Word's image options, like position, wrap text, crop, etc) or are you looking for a better way to view a note chock-full of images?

The second one. I guess I'd also like to see the text formatting toolbar in each note be optional because of that - if my note only contains images, I don't need the toolbar for setting the font size, font color, justification, etc.

A gallery thumbnail view wouldn't necessarily fix the higher level formatting you're looking for from note editing, correct? It'd just be another way of viewing a note with a high level of images, or audio, etc.

Something like that. Well, it's just an idea, I don't know if it would really work. I leave that up to you guys who actually know what you're doing. :)

Archived