(Archived) Evernote for MacOS 3.0.0 Beta 4

dlu

Idea

Hello People of Evernote on Mac,

Based on feedback and some recently added polish, we are squeezing out a Beta 4. There are improvements and fixes to the favorites bar and fullscreen mode. If you've enabled Beta updates, click on "Check For Updates..." from the "Help" menu or visit http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/pr ... 169166.dmg

I know, I know, there are still issues: the clipping shortcut , searching for a phrase, feature X that Windows already has, fullscreen mode only has one view?! and oh-so-many other things aren't done yet. Please bear with us.

If anything new arises, do let us know.

thanks!

55 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
I also sense that Evernote really shies away from putting scads of options into its programs (a la MS Word or Firefox, say); feels like a conscious attempt to avoid UI clutter. .

I agree that for some reason Evernote doesn't seem to like to provide it's users with options.

But I disagree that it need be "UI clutter." A reasonable number of choices under a preferences/option menu doesn't really add clutter. You don''t see it unless you want to. For those that are happy with Evernote making every choice for them, they need never go there.

But it feels more oppressive, arrogant to me. As if Evernote always knows better. It's been proven again and again, no one person or company has the corner market on "what's best", no matter what the size.

I appreciate good leadership, and innovation. I also appreciate a company who listens to their users.

I am nto sure what causes this problem but often when I close Evernote to minimize it to dock icon, I cannot maximize again. The only way to get back to Evernote is to use the clipper icon and add new note or restart Evernote. There is a maximizing problem.

That sounds unusual. I'd suggest going through customer support.

__

Regarding the search explanation, the favorites bar does replace that. Thanks for the feedback about still wanting to see the search terms and number of results returned. Will incorporate that further on.

About the toolbar styling, we appreciate the feedback. It is most likely that we will stay the course with our current look and feel.

I am nto sure what causes this problem but often when I close Evernote to minimize it to dock icon, I cannot maximize again. The only way to get back to Evernote is to use the clipper icon and add new note or restart Evernote. There is a maximizing problem.

That sounds unusual. I'd suggest going through customer support.

It's always behaved that way for me (always = since I first started using Evernote, towards the end of last year). I just make a point of using cmd + H, to hide rather than minimise, then curse when I forget. The cmd + H works, the cursing doesn't help a lot :lol:.

Edit - I hadn't actually tried anything other than hiding for ages, but having written this, I thought I'd better check it, and it seems to be working fine now.

• Level 5*
Regarding the search explanation, the favorites bar does replace that. Thanks for the feedback about still wanting to see the search terms and number of results returned. Will incorporate that further on.

Well, I'm very sorry to hear that.

The Search syntax is very complicated and hard to use, beyond a simple full text search. Often users are confused or unsure of how Evernote sets word boundaries.

If you don't show us the search explanation we will have no way of knowing whether or not we have entered the correct syntax.

Can you share with us the rationale for eliminating this critical piece of information?

About the toolbar styling, we appreciate the feedback. It is most likely that we will stay the course with our current look and feel.

Arrggghhhh - no, say it ain't so?

May I ask - WHY? What do you people have against colour? Why is grey the new black? Just because Apple have done it in iTunes and Lion etc - it doesn't mean you have to do the same.

Why don't you show some fortitude and individuality, and keep the colour (or bring it back)? Or at least make it an option?

The code for both is obviously still in there - in Snow Leopard, the coloured icons are still there in the latest version, but running the exact same version under Lion turns everything grey.

So - given that the code for the coloured icons is still in there - why NOT make the icon colours an option? Instead of having the code in EN that recognises whether it is running in Snow Leopard or Lion, and adjusting itself, what would be so hard about leaving it to the user to choose? Why do we need Evernote to make the decision for us? Same with the default view in Full Screen mode - give the USER the option.

Life is all about options - especially for Premium paying customers.... who may have referred large numbers of others to join the EN Premium users already.... you really shouldn't be looking to piss us off like this.!

Just by way of extra feedback - my wife, who is also a Premium user - HATES the grey even more than I do. And women make up half of your customers. Don't piss THEM off either!

I think the gray icons look great!

Well, I'm sorry to differ, but I fail to see how bland grey icons look great - but then that's a matter of personal taste. I also dislke grey carpets, walls, and ceiling in the room, along with grey furniture.

And as I and others have said already - the colour was the branding of Evernote - and still is on every other platform. Not to mention the use of colour in icons adding to their ease of use.

But - surely, the simplest answer is to MAKE IT AN OPTION...?

I'd be very happy to let you have your grey icons, as long as I could choose not to.

• Level 5*

I think it's pretty clear from the existing app and how it has been developed that Evernote are unlikely to offer multiple options for things like icon colour. I think that they are trying to preserve as simple a code base as possible and adding this kind of user configuration adds dev and QA workload not just now but in every single future release.

Given that dlu has said that they are going to stick with what they currently have, any further discussion is probably flogging an already dead horse.

In the end, the user has to weigh up whether disliking the colour of the app icons is enough to make him look for an alternative application, or whether the ever increasing functionality and platforms are good enough reasons to stay.

Yup - point taken. In the grand scheme of things, the icon colour probably doesn't matter, except that it takes away the "branding" and character of the app.

However, the point I was making was that the code for BOTH types of icons is already there. Coloured and grey. Evernote 3.0.0. Beta 4 running under Snow Leopard has the coloured icons. Same program running under Lion - grey icons.

And while the dead horse probably shouldn't be flogged any more, given that the code for coloured icons is there already, why NOT make it an option? Why let the application detect Lion and decide - on our behalf - to go grey?

• Level 5*

I'd guess because eventually SL support will go away and then so will coloured icons altogether. There is a big difference between programmaticaly selecting the icons and allowing the user to chop and change at will and on the fly too.

We probably won't do different options.

While the code for two different icons is technically there, we don't have any sort of theme picking framework. And yes, at some point Snow Leopard will become old news. So um, pretty much what metrodon pointed out.

• Level 5*

I would tend to let Evernote worry about its own branding and character. I also sense that Evernote really shies away from putting scads of options into its programs (a la MS Word or Firefox, say); feels like a conscious attempt to avoid UI clutter. On the other hand, if were a usability problem, then that would be something else altogether.

Is it my Evernote installation or you aslo have this problem?

• Level 5*

Really this horse has now been flogged to death - please can we leave it alone.

JMichael, if you want to carry on the discussion please PM me - although I think you still owe me a response from our conversation in your previous incarnation.

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but EN keeps changing the notebook selection. I have "all notebooks" selected, I create a new note (cmd + N) and EN switches to displaying my default new notes notebook instead of "all notebooks" so when I move the new note that I'm currently working on to the appropriate notebook, it disappears from view and I have to go and re-select "all notebooks." It gets very irritating after a few times.

We do this because by default, a new note belongs to your default notebook. We try to make the notebook you're viewing, consistent with the notebook you're working in. We switch you out of All Notebooks because you can't create a note under "All Notebooks"

I hope I'm making sense

Thank you, yes it does make sense. I need to find a new way to create notes, then, so they don't disappear half way through setting them up.

I think the reason I've only found it a problem recently is that I've been cutting and pasting from Safari. Once the new extension appears, that will probably sort it out.

• Level 5*
We do this because by default, a new note belongs to your default notebook. We try to make the notebook you're viewing, consistent with the notebook you're working in. We switch you out of All Notebooks because you can't create a note under "All Notebooks"

I hope I'm making sense

dlu, it does make sense in some respects, but in others it causes confusion.

Here are some considerations for leaving the setting at "All Notebooks":

1. [*:26om09jb]That's the way EN Win works, and has worked for some time.
    [*:26om09jb]Many of us use something like "Inbox" as the default notebook for new Notes.

• [*:26om09jb]This is just a temporary, transient notebook until I get around to "filing" the note in the correct NB
    [*:26om09jb]I may be working on a Note in a NB other than "Inbox" when I need to quickly create a new note
    [*:26om09jb]I it very inconvenient to have to switch back to either "All NB" or worse, find the NB in the panel and click on it.

[*:26om09jb]If the current NB filter is not "All NB" or the default NB, then I'd suggest switching the filter to "All NB" when you create a new Note.

• [*:26om09jb]However, that's just me. I'm sure that different people would have a different preference for this.
    [*:26om09jb]This is where, IMO, having a preference setting would be the ideal solution

I almost hate to say this for fear you will change the EN Win behavior, but IMO it is very important for EN to behave consistently across all platforms, unless there is a compelling OS/UI reason to do otherwise.

So whatever final decision you guys make, make it so across the board.

Thanks for listening.

Great update guys! It's great to see your embracing Lion so well. Evernote's Mac division always seems on the forefront.

I especially like the different take in Full Screen mode instead of just blowing up the app like a lot of people are doing.

I've gathered my thoughts and written about it here - http://istudentreview.com/2011/08/your-external-brain-v3-0/

About what kind of ETA are we looking at? There have been some good bug fixes so far. Beta 1 in full screen mode used too much CPU but that is much improved now.

Hi evryone

i use Evernote on OS X Lion 10.7.1 and i encountered a bug i think. Reinstalling, getting the latest Beta and rebooting and so on didn´t worked and since i couldn't find this issue listed somewhere i dare to post it here. Ok now the problem:

In Snippetview (the other views seem unaffected) if i scroll the text of a note further than its actual size, than first it seems fine but if i let go(when these bounce back should occur like in mail) or scroll back the view for the text gets messed up. It seems that the last visible Pixels get stretched down the entire view or it goes blank.

I hope u know a trick to solve this or the description helps u fix it. I really like to work with Evernote on the MacBook and syncing with my iPhone. And I'm happy to see how fast u are adapting to Lion.

Ah and btw i like the grey buttons ;P

• Level 5*

From memory, this is a bug that can only be fixed by deleting all your data and re-downloading it. I'd suggest you contact support to confirm and to receive detailed instructions.

From memory, this is a bug that can only be fixed by deleting all your data and re-downloading it. I'd suggest you contact support to confirm and to receive detailed instructions.

hmm ok i guess deleting all notes and syncing would just dlelet everything on the server uh? ok submitted ticket thanks for the advice

hmm ok i guess deleting all notes and syncing would just dlelet everything on the server uh? ok submitted ticket thanks for the advice

Delete the app including the database, not the notes. Do a clean install and sync; it will fix this issue.

Like the beta just been using it over the last few hours, think i can even handle all the grey :) though i have to admit anyway of bringing back the "usage" monitor so you can see it right there with out having to click on it to see how much you have used.

Its a small thing but would be nice as one less click ;)

• Level 5*
BUG REPORT: The Search Explanation Panel is Missing in EN Mac 3.0.0 Beta 4.

It used to be in the same location as the new Favorites panel.

In ver 2.2.3, it could be shown by View > Show Search Explanation.

Please fix ASAP. It is needed to make sure we have the correct search syntax.

Thanks.

Not a bug - Favourites has replaced it - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28025

But they are spelling Favourite incorrectly.

Ok, ok - I know I'm harping. But this version is even "greyer" than the last one. At least in the last betas, you had the "All Notes" icon still in green. You know - the Evernote character, personality, flavour...?

Now it is ALL grey. Even that last little bit of green has gone.

What IS it with you guys (or with Apple, for that matter) that you appear to want to revert to the lowest common denominator and go GREY?

This is in Lion, I'm referring to. At least in Snow Leopard (which I have stuck with on the Macbook Pro) - all the colours are still there - green icons for "New Note" and "All Notes", the nice blue "iSight note" icon, the yellow "Email" icon, etc etc and all the nice little green notebook icons in the left pane along with the yellow tag icons.

But in Lion - EVERYTHING is G-R-E-Y-..... I think I've gone colour blind. The world is turning grey. My eyes are failing. I could save a fortune by getting rid of the great colour monitor and going back to a monochrome monitor....

AARRGGGHHHHH - bring back the colour, the personality of Evernote. Rapdiweaver can do it with their latest update to their web design program, why not Evernote?

I just want to know WHY there is this slavish move to go 'orrible, bland, GREY...???

• Level 5*

From the sound of it, they have made a design decision and are sticking with it.

Maybe you could get some coloured labels and stick them to your screen? I think that is the only way you are going to get colour back in the Lion UI.

Ok, ok - I know I'm harping. But this version is even "greyer" than the last one. At least in the last betas, you had the "All Notes" icon still in green. You know - the Evernote character, personality, flavour...?

Now it is ALL grey. Even that last little bit of green has gone.

What IS it with you guys (or with Apple, for that matter) that you appear to want to revert to the lowest common denominator and go GREY?

This is in Lion, I'm referring to. At least in Snow Leopard (which I have stuck with on the Macbook Pro) - all the colours are still there - green icons for "New Note" and "All Notes", the nice blue "iSight note" icon, the yellow "Email" icon, etc etc and all the nice little green notebook icons in the left pane along with the yellow tag icons.

But in Lion - EVERYTHING is G-R-E-Y-..... I think I've gone colour blind. The world is turning grey. My eyes are failing. I could save a fortune by getting rid of the great colour monitor and going back to a monochrome monitor....

AARRGGGHHHHH - bring back the colour, the personality of Evernote. Rapdiweaver can do it with their latest update to their web design program, why not Evernote?

I just want to know WHY there is this slavish move to go 'orrible, bland, GREY...???

Ugh. I'm not on Lion yet (thinking about it this weekend for my MacBook Pro) but I must agree. Evernote's branding is green. PLEASE do not take that away from the app!

The favorites bar is a terrific addition. Just outstanding, and consistent with Mail.app.

BTW, Evernote for MacOS Beta doesn't play well with the Maximizer SIMBL add-in. If you were like me and installed that to give Evernote full-screen capabilities prior to this Beta, you will want to uninstall it. When installed, new or opened notes in full-screen mode will go to a new space, and you will have to quit Evernote to get back to your note listing.

- Barry

• Level 5*
The favorites bar is a terrific addition. Just outstanding, and consistent with Mail.app.

- Barry

Yup, being able to put tags and saved searches up there is brilliant and now we can delete them too.

I agree, the favourites bar makes it very easy to put a notebook, note, tag or saved search somewhere convenient while you're working on it. Unlike the note links, this wasn't something I had thought about at all, but now it's there, it's extremely useful.

• Level 5*
Hello People of Evernote on Mac,

I smile every time I read this. Makes me think I'm in some 13th century kingdom. 8)

I know, I know, there are still issues: the clipping shortcut , searching for a phrase, feature X that Windows already has, fullscreen mode only has one view?! and oh-so-many other things aren't done yet. Please bear with us.

dlu, thanks for acknowledging this, and giving us some hope that you intend to address these issues.

Show/Hide Button

Also many thanks for the Show/Hide button for the Notebooks (etc) panel. This greatly helps because I don't spend much time there, and when I do it is just for a moment or two. So it is great to easily get it out of the way for viewing/editing notes. (could you give us a short-cut key for this please?)

Favorites Bar

Although full-screen is nice, the real biggie new feature is the Favorites bar, especially since it provides a very convenient, easy to use, drop-down and SEARCH for Notebooks and Tags.

Finally, a comment on the use of colors:

• [*:x8krzc9l]Please reconsider making EVERYTHING a monotone grey.
    [*:x8krzc9l]Even Apple does not make everything grey: see System Preferences
    [*:x8krzc9l]Yes, I get the point is to allow us to focus better on content rather than wrapper
    [*:x8krzc9l]But quick and easy selection of controls is very important.
    [*:x8krzc9l]We are not just reading, but we are mostly doing -- creating/editing/sorting new notes
    [*:x8krzc9l]Colors, used properly, can be a great design too.
    [*:x8krzc9l]We need colored icons/panels to allow us to quickly pick/select a control
    [*:x8krzc9l]The eye/brain identifies object much quicker by color than almost anything else, with shape a close second (think about how you identify a product you often use in a supermarket)
    [*:x8krzc9l]Finally, if you want to model yourselves after Apple, then don't be afraid to be different, even in your Apple app. Show some color. Stand out from the crowd, but do so in a meaningful and useful way.

Thanks for a great product and for sharing with us in this forum. You candor is much appreciated.

The search shortcut/focus issue (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28188) seems to be fixed - yay!

confirming that! Yay my only issue is now solved :)

And since others keep re-vocalising their hate for the grey-ification of everything, I will re-vocalise my SUPPORT for it. I much prefer the UI subtle and out of the way of my content, not to mention fitting in with the rest of my OS better. Please keep it (or make it optional if anything)

• Level 5*

Small bug.....

Add a single note to the Favourites Bar

Select a different notebook

Select the original item in the Bar

Evernote displays the correct item

Evernote sets All Notebooks

Evernote highlights the note in snippet view in my case

But....

Evernote does not scroll correctly to display the highlighted note, so I'm looking at my note but I I lose any sense of location as I can't see it in snippet view.

Obviously, I am returning my Premium account, not deploying to 50 000 users in my organisation, am completely unable to understand why you can't make this super-simple change immediately, am very angry that this bug isn't in all the other versions of Evernote, etc etc until it is fixed.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

Good, at last some progress. The copy to Evernote universal shortcut (cmd+ctrl+v) now half-works. When you use it, it brings the Evernote app to the foreground and pasts the note. That’s better than not pasting anything at all until you manually bring the app to the fore, but it still falls short of the way the app worked under Snow Leopard, which pasted stuff with Evernote app completely in the background. Now, with this Beta 4, Evernote comes to the fore, so you still have to navigate back to the app (e.g., Safari) you’re clipping from. (And lest you think I’m just nit-picking, consider that on an average work day I clip hundreds of articles from the web, and often have to do it as quickly as possible, so each mouse click you add to the process slows things down a lot and increases the likelihood of error. And that is why using a browser clipper or bookmarklet is out of question — juts too slow.)

This latest version raises hopes that maybe one day the Evernote team will get the app to work the same way it did a month ago.

Well seeing as it is a quote from the 3rd line of the first post I didn't think it would take up too much of your valuable time.

FYI, some people have a default thread sort of DESCENDING so that the latest post is on top.

Awesome :lol:

I guess next time, you should add specific instructions. :lol: Or a tut on Youtube.

Thanks.

I second that. With the latest beta version, there is no way to know the terms of the search or the number of items its returned.

• Level 5*
Good, at last some progress. The copy to Evernote universal shortcut (cmd+ctrl+v) now half-works. When you use it, it brings the Evernote app to the foreground and pasts the note. That’s better than not pasting anything at all until you manually bring the app to the fore, but it still falls short of the way the app worked under Snow Leopard, which pasted stuff with Evernote app completely in the background. Now, with this Beta 4, Evernote comes to the fore, so you still have to navigate back to the app (e.g., Safari) you’re clipping from. (And lest you think I’m just nit-picking, consider that on an average work day I clip hundreds of articles from the web, and often have to do it as quickly as possible, so each mouse click you add to the process slows things down a lot and increases the likelihood of error. And that is why using a browser clipper of bookmarklet is out of question — juts too slow.)

This latest version raises hopes that maybe one day the Evernote team will get the app to work the same way it did a month ago.

You could just use cmd+w to close the new note once you've pasted in and then click in Safari which will be just behind it.

I have to add, though, that the idea of a favorites bar is an excellent one, but needs some polish. We need a way to see what the search terms are. And why is it that each time I start the app, the default items I removed from the bar are back in place again?

You could just use cmd+w to close the new note once you've pasted in and then click in Safari which will be just behind it.

Even better, go to preference and uncheck the “bring new note to the foreground” box (under “Clipping”). So that spares me the cmd+w part, but I still have to navigate back to Safari using cmd+tab. Under Snow Leopard there was no need, as Evernote remained resolutely in the background and you didn’t leave the app you’re clipping from.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

Not a bug - Favourites has replaced it - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28025

But they are spelling Favourite incorrectly.

Sorry, but your link does NOT support your assertion.

I do NOT see anywhere Evernote states that the Favorites bar has replaced the Search Explanation.

Regardless, many of us agree: we want the Search Explanation back!

Oh, BTW, I don't think you want to start pointing out typos in a forum. You have as many/more as anyone. :D

• Level 5*

Opening post of that thread dlu says

We're also debuting a new favorites bar as a replacement to the search explanation bar.

No need to apologise.

As for the spelling, I was pointing out the fact that Favorites is the American English spelling and different to the way that most of the English speaking world does it.

I can still hear the whoosh of it going over your head.

• Level 5*
We're also debuting a new favorites bar as a replacement to the search explanation bar.

Your link was to the thread, which was 4 pages long. If you are going to cite a reference, then you should cite the specific post, not the entire thread. I don't have time, nor does anyone else, to read through 4 pages.

In any case, replacing the "search explanation bar" does not necessarily mean removing the functionality.

Do you really want to argue in favor of eliminating the search info?

Only in your dreams.

• Level 5*

Your link was to the thread, which was 4 pages long. If you are going to cite a reference, then you should cite the specific post, not the entire thread. I don't have time, nor does anyone else, to read through 4 pages.

In any case, replacing the "search explanation bar" does not necessarily mean removing the functionality.

Do you really want to argue in favor of eliminating the search info?

Well seeing as it is a quote from the 3rd line of the first post I didn't think it would take up too much of your valuable time.

I'm not arguing either way, I'm just pointing out what the Evernote team have said.

Only in your dreams.

OK :D

• Level 5*

FYI, some people have a default thread sort of DESCENDING so that the latest post is on top.

• Level 5*

Awesome :lol:

Archived