(Archived) REQUEST: Portable Version

vogelap

I can't log in to EN from work as IE8 fails every time and upgrade to IE9 is not an option. If I use portable firefox there is no problem, but I don't like using portable FF on my work machine.

I also work on family/friends boxes, sometimes without internet connection. A portable version of EN would help me out there as well.

I have searched the forums and don't see anything recent about progress towards offering a portable version. Anyone hearing any news?

Anyone hearing any news?

Nope. This is old, so you may have already seen it. But in case you missed it.

http://www.kleinfelter.com/node/247

Yeah, I had read that but the comments to the instructions aren't too promising and I really hate to jump into it (did I mention I'm a lazy toad). I'm a huge fan of PA.c and have scoured thier forums as well. EN is one of very few apps that I am willing to use that is not portable.

From my perspective, EN is a fantastic, useful tool and offering a portable version would elevate the developers to god-status. :) Thanks for the offer of help though.

• 4 weeks later...

Warning, the "Thinstall" version referenced back in October does allow one to install it on a locked-down corporate machine. However, I found that it actually installed onto the PC itself (not in Program Files, it went into the User directory structure). It also places a link in the Start Menu and puts an Uninstall entry in place for removal.

The database and program files are actually stored on the local hard drive. So corporate admins would probably skin you alive if you used this.

Worse, after uninstalling, my database was still on the hard drive.

So... Great that it can be installed on locked-down machines, but I'd advise extreme caution in use.

- AzDayton - 06/21/2012 11:14

• 1 month later...

Hello there, Evernote team.

Are you going to finally make a portable version of Evernote or allow someone from PortableApps community to do it? I have used the web based version on my company computer but they have changed security policy recently and I am no longer able to use it. I have Evernote everywhere but if you can't come up or won't allow anyone to come up with a portable version, I will have to switch to a different notetaking programme. It would make me sad, however, I need to write down notes while at work, not at some point in the future.

Let me know what you're thinking and when we can finally expect the release.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The www.portableapps.com guys have a very nice platform to install and update software. It would be excellent if you establish a partnership to include evernote inside their platform. And, of course, it would make possible for everybody that can´t install EN in work to use the application.

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Teaming up with PA.c and creating a portable EN app would be one of the most awesome things you could do. I know that everyone and there mother has a smart phone these days but it is still so much easier to have this on the computer you are sitting at wether it be at home or work. I hope you would allow PA.c members to do all the work for you on this and claim that it was your idea just to get a portable EN out there.

Thanks for listening.

• 1 month later...

Another request for a portable version.

I have no trouble adding a short note or making small edits on my phone. And the web version works, for sufficiently clunky definitions of "works." But, having a real keyboard, quick response, and Drag&Drop tagging is incredibly convenient. I'd love to put that on the thumbdrive hanging off my key ring.

If you really have written yourselves into a corner in your code base, then it sure sounds like the PortableApps.com people have done the work for you. Basically, it sounds like all you have to do is give them permission. I fail to see the down side.

Drake Christensen

• 2 weeks later...

There is no need for teaming up with anybody any more for the portable version. The working portable version has already been done here:

http://www.portablef...php?f=2&t=16544

Thread at the above address is active and regularly updated. Its about how you can make yourself a portable version. There is also a launcher that you can use with your portable package. Its an excellent solution.

• 2 months later...

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate Evernote. It's a terrific and well thought-out application, and I rely on it every day. Well worth the price for a Premium subscription, too.

Many people have already asked for a portable version of Evernote, and I will add my vote to theirs. What I do not understand is why the developers have been so reluctant to provide this product. The "official" reason given in previous threads was that Evernote is waiting for a large enough demand before investing the time in a portable version.

I find this reasoning mystifying. In the first place, this forum has demonstrated substantial demand, and if further evidence is needed, look at all the third-party attempts to make this work. And when I look at the third-party efforts, it does not appear that Herculean effort is needed to make Evernote portable.

On the one hand, Evernote doesn't offer its own portable application. On the other hand, it's not trying (hard) to quash third-party solutions.

So my question is: How about coming clean: Will we ever see a portable version of Evernote - from Evernote - and if not, what is the real reason? It can't be due to technological challenges, so it must come from the marketing department. If Evernote feels that it can't offer a portable version for marketing or competitive reasons, fine - those are legitimate reasons. I just want the real deal.

[Mod: merged this post with ongoing Portable Evernote topic]

• Level 5*

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate Evernote. It's a terrific and well thought-out application, and I rely on it every day. Well worth the price for a Premium subscription, too.

Many people have already asked for a portable version of Evernote, and I will add my vote to theirs. What I do not understand is why the developers have been so reluctant to provide this product. The "official" reason given in previous threads was that Evernote is waiting for a large enough demand before investing the time in a portable version.

I find this reasoning mystifying. In the first place, this forum has demonstrated substantial demand, and if further evidence is needed, look at all the third-party attempts to make this work. And when I look at the third-party efforts, it does not appear that Herculean effort is needed to make Evernote portable.

On the one hand, Evernote doesn't offer its own portable application. On the other hand, it's not trying (hard) to quash third-party solutions.

So my question is: How about coming clean: Will we ever see a portable version of Evernote - from Evernote - and if not, what is the real reason? It can't be due to technological challenges, so it must come from the marketing department. If Evernote feels that it can't offer a portable version for marketing or competitive reasons, fine - those are legitimate reasons. I just want the real deal.

[Mod: merged this post with ongoing Portable Evernote topic]

Hi. Evernote typically does not comment on future plans. They might have one in the works as we speak, they might be considering it, or they may never get around to doing it at any time. There is nothing they need to come clean about. Ask Apple if they ever plan to do X, or Toyota if they ever plan to do Y. As users, we naturally want to know who, what, when, where, why, and how. But, that rarely works in the real world :)

Anyhow, about the portable version of Evernote, I am not convinced a few posts on the Evernote user forum translate to widespread demand (I think Evernote thinks in terms of hundreds of thousands to millions for product development) for a brand new product they would have to not only develop, but also pay staff to update and maintain going forward. We are talking about a startup here, and the number of developers working on the successor to Halo would outnumber the entire staff at Evernote. In other words, Evernote is doing an incredible job of utilizing its resources to rapidly grow and iterate on just about every major platform. So, I wonder what financial incentive they would have to make a portable version. In other words, they may have nothing in particular against it (I kind of doubt Andrew Sinkov, the marketing guy, has a vendetta against portable).

More importantly, the API is out there. If someone sees this product as a worthwhile endeavor, Evernote will certainly not squash them -- on the contrary, it will back them up and help them get it off the ground :)

• Level 5*

@ GrumpyMonkey: Hate to say it, GM, but in the lifecycle of companies, I'd say that Evernote has grown out of its "startup" phase. They're not huge, but they are certainly established

@Bulldog: Task priorities are often influenced by marketing concerns, but it's not always a matter of "we don't want feature X", but rather "we want feature Y more than feature X". Asking for a definitive pronouncement on a feature request is fine, but I wouldn't expect such a statement to be forthcoming; it's a fast-paced world, and priorities change. What's the sense of making yourself look like a fool when you decide that you need to do something that you previously definitively said you wouldn't?

• Level 5*

@ GrumpyMonkey: Hate to say it, GM, but in the lifecycle of companies, I'd say that Evernote has grown out of its "startup" phase. They're not huge, but they are certainly established

@Bulldog: Task priorities are often influenced by marketing concerns, but it's not always a matter of "we don't want feature X", but rather "we want feature Y more than feature X". Asking for a definitive pronouncement on a feature request is fine, but I wouldn't expect such a statement to be forthcoming; it's a fast-paced world, and priorities change. What's the sense of making yourself look like a fool when you decide that you need to do something that you previously definitively said you wouldn't?

I guess. I don't know where the lines get drawn for these kinds of things, but according to Tech Crunch:

It’s official. To transition from a startup into a late-stage company that aims to be around for 100 years, Evernote today confirms it’s raised a$70 million Series D round of funding at a $1 billion valuation.  Meritech Capital and CBC Capital were chosen to lead the round because they’re the firms that can help Evernote prepare for an eventual IPO.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/03/evernote-70-million/

That is from May last year. A few days ago, Business Insider called it a billion-dollar startup.

http://www.businessinsider.com/startups-with-billion-dollar-valuations-2013-2?op=1

Of course, Phil calls it the forever start-up, so I guess there is some room in-between for interpretation :)

http://www.siliconhillsnews.com/2011/11/18/evernote-the-100-year-startup/

Rather than split hairs, though, I think it is fair to say that Evernote has taken on a lot (every major platform, tens of millions of users all over the world, Evernote Business, Skitch, Food, Hello, Penultimate, etc., etc.), so sticking another product into the development cycle is surely something they spend a bit of time thinking about, and I doubt they are bowing to pressure from the Marketing department on this one.

• Level 5*

I guess. I don't know where the lines get drawn for these kinds of things, but according to Tech Crunch:

It’s official. To transition from a startup into a late-stage company that aims to be around for 100 years, Evernote today confirms it’s raised a$70 million Series D round of funding at a $1 billion valuation.  Meritech Capital and CBC Capital were chosen to lead the round because they’re the firms that can help Evernote prepare for an eventual IPO.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/03/evernote-70-million/

The scale from "startup" to "late-stage company" seems a little, um, coarse. Me, I can't decide whether I am an infant or in my dotage. :)

My original post (which I thank the mods for moving to this thread) was based on my perception, from viewing third-party efforts, that making a portable version of Evernote is a relatively simple task. After all, if third-parties not associated with Evernote can do it more or less successfully, then how tough can it be, right? And if it's not that tough to do, and since uncounted thousands of Evernote users cannot install software on their work computers, then why not go ahead and do it? It doesn't have to support every single feature of the installed client - not all portable versions do.

Tell you what: If the EN-ers can improve the web interface to the point where it virtually mimics the installed client, I'll stop asking for a portable solution.  ;)

• Level 5*

The question is, is it worth it for Evernote to put out a portable version (or add the options to their installer), and support same, when the work has already been done by third parties? And you can add into that calculation the Evernote staffers' comments (in the linked threads) about their belief that USB sticks are not a good medium for their database.

My original post (which I thank the mods for moving to this thread) was based on my perception, from viewing third-party efforts, that making a portable version of Evernote is a relatively simple task. After all, if third-parties not associated with Evernote can do it more or less successfully, then how tough can it be, right? And if it's not that tough to do, and since uncounted thousands of Evernote users cannot install software on their work computers, then why not go ahead and do it? It doesn't have to support every single feature of the installed client - not all portable versions do.

Tell you what: If the EN-ers can improve the web interface to the point where it virtually mimics the installed client, I'll stop asking for a portable solution.  ;)

Why should EN spend time/manpower creating & maintaining something that third party devs can do pretty well (per you)? 

The bottom line is (and has been said before), EN has their own priorities. We (the users) don't know how much "ease of implementation" factors into those priorities.  I'm guessing a portable version is less valuable/ROI than it was at EN (the service) launch in early 2008 (and this thread origination date), since most people have smartphones now. 

Well, I think everyone has made their point by now. It's clear - to me, at least - that a portable version of Evernote is just not going to happen any time soon. It's not a priority for the developers, for reasons we need to respect even if we don't agree. Those of us who wish for a portable version have recourse to third parties. There's also the web client (which I hope has a higher priority on the devs to-do list.)

If I was smart, I would stop here. But no, I have to make another comment: Sometimes, users take your software in directions you don't expect.

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5*

My IT department changed our rules, and as a result Evernote is a no-no on our machines after 3 years. Really wish there was a way to make this happen!

Its killing me  having to work around my workflow I have created over the years!

Do you still have access to the web? The web client might be good enough for you to get by. It's certainly improved over the years.

Archived