(Archived) REQUEST: Portable Version

vogelap

What would happen if I copied my local ENbase's *.exb file to a USB device, took that to another PC with the PC client on it, and loaded it on there?

Dunno. But in theory you can have that second PC suck down your EN 3.0 Beta notebooks from the EN web service (I think that is the huge value proposition of the EN 3.0 web server and client suite). I also suspect you have to be careful of GUID issues. I see that every tag in EN 3.0 Beta has its own GUID (I read the synchronization log file). I think that by copying an EN 3.0 notebook you risk replicating all the GUIDs and you are asking for trouble. But I'm just guessing.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*

I second the congratulations on v4.0, but cannot wait for the portable version! Actually, I can wait because I am working at home for the next 4 weeks, so don't need the access to the full editing capabilities of the desktop version on my work computer. However, when I am in the office, I do miss capabilities and speed of 4.0 using the old Portable version. Also, when using the web version - I have to remember to strip all formatting out of the notes that I want to use, which is a little irritating.

Removing all formatting (4.0.0.2825 (106289)) seems to have some bugs in it still - font for most of the text seems to default to 28 pixel bold, with double carriage returns at the end of every paragraph. And a lot of space at the beginning of the note. Simplify formatting also does not remove hyperlinks - is there a quick way of removing all hyperlinks in a note? Select all/Ctrl-Shift-F9 does not work for me ...

• Level 5*

The 'long wait' is likely due to the fact that they have higher priorities related to 4.0's functionality. As the man said, they know there's a demand for it; they'll focus on portability when it reaches the top if their priority list.

~Jeff

Another vote for an updated portable version. Why the long wait? To have to wait for a 4.0 portable when the current portable version is 3.1 is frustrating to say the least...

What Jefito said. However, if you're so inclined, there is this thread. Please note, it's not something that's suggested by Evernote...just something other users have found that works for them. It may or may not work for you. Use at your own risk. Etc, etc, etc. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Another vote for an updated portable version. Why the long wait? To have to wait for a 4.0 portable when the current portable version is 3.1 is frustrating to say the least...

What Jefito said. However, if you're so inclined, there is this thread. Please note, it's not something that's suggested by Evernote...just something other users have found that works for them. It may or may not work for you. Use at your own risk. Etc, etc, etc. :)

EN3.5 needed .Net, EN4 does not, so, much more likely to get a successful portable app.

I'm just learning about the portable possibilities. Need to clarify my understanding:

- I download v3.1 and install to USB drive

- Run v3.1 from USB drive on a work PC and still be fully synchronized

Anything I missed?

That's it. Unless you have problems b/c of a firewall or proxy thingie. Also, if you use 3.5 or EN4 anywhere, they are not backwards compatible with 3.1 due to changes in the way the notes are created/edited. Or something like that.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Didn't have any compatibility issues, but as the database got to be over 500 MB I found that it was running very slowly.

Just accessed 4.1 using a portable HDD to which I had copied the EN directory from the C:\ drive on my home computer. After getting the location of the database sorted (make sure you have a copy of the latest database somewhere other than where you want to relocate the database to!), 4.1 runs very fast on my office computer.

I checked the registry - there are a couple of generic EN entries. Before I loaded 4.1 for the first time I went through the registry and deleted all the old EN entries - there were several for the Portable (3.1) version.

So, bottom line is that 4.1 does run from a portable HDD. It does add entries to the registry, but nothing that would be found unless you were specifically looking for it. Of course, this is just on my set-up - your IT people may have things set up differently!

I am going to set up a separate EN account with my work email address so that I can use that just for work stuff, and use it with the web version.

Have used Evernote 3.5 with the database on the portable drive, but now that I updated to 4.1, how do I tell Evernote to use the database on the portable drive? It install default itself on the C-drive.

Try this:

http://www.kleinfelter.com/node/247

I've done it, and it seems to work ok.

I've seen this before, and that is the way I would go. Just a couple of questions, does it leave anything behind on the host pc? (That is a big part of PortableApps)

If someone was to make the launcher, and maybe an installer, would they be allowed to redistribute it?

(It wouldn't be posted there without the permission of EN if they were using the installer, but I *think* online installers are allowed, as they are not actually redistributing the installer. I think for an online installer you need a zip install though.)

Scott

Proper permissions would need to be gotten from our current team, but the *right one* would be likely handled as an API project.

I am a little lost by the API comment (beyond my knowledge) but looking at the developer pages, it seems (from what I can tell) that it is not what PA.c would have in mind.

If they did it (and I would have to post there requesting it ) , it would be to redirect the installation to a folder, in which registry keys, data etc. would be contained within that folder. When run, it would moved needed files to where they have to go, and when closed it would bring that all back to the folder again (this would be done by a launcher) AFAIK anyway...

Proper permissions would need to be gotten from our current team, but the *right one* would be likely handled as an API project.

I am a little lost by the API comment (beyond my knowledge) but looking at the developer pages, it seems (from what I can tell) that it is not what PA.c would have in mind.

I mean we already have rules in place for playing around with Evernote code, under our API development agreement.

Yes, from what I can tell the API use is different to what PA.c do. Essentially they would automate the actions outlined in the kleinfelter link you gave and keep the install to a folder, as opposed to windows itself.

And from your response I gather this would not be possible then.

No, That's not what I was saying. I've been trying to get across the point that if they contact us we can probably work something out. But doing it on their own and distributing with out our permission is not cool.

Ok, I misunderstood :)

I will ask if there is anyone who would be interested.

But doing it on their own and distributing with out our permission is not cool.

That is something they will not do. The mods actively remove links when there is no permission obtained.

Legal Software Only - Only links to legal software are permitted. Links to pirated software or unauthorized modifications of closed source software are not permitted. Accounts used to post such links may be banned.

Source: http://portableapps.com/forums/guidelines

At the moment not Officially.

I start to loose my faith that there will be a Portable Evernote beyond Version 3.1 - thats a dealbreaker for me.

:)

These are two entirely different topics.

To install EN4 onto a drive, other than the boot drive (OP):

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20031&p=83646&hilit=install#p83646

Note, you probably won't be able to install EN onto a networked drive, since that's never been officially supported.

As far as EN on a thumb drive, that's still not possible, except from within 3.1

No, That's not what I was saying. I've been trying to get across the point that if they contact us we can probably work something out. But doing it on their own and distributing with out our permission is not cool.

Hi Heather. I've sent you a note via the Partnerships form on the Evernote site with more details on getting Evernote available in PortableApps.com Format. We look forward to working with you and making Evernote available portably to our millions of users!

Hi Heather. I've sent you a note via the Partnerships form on the Evernote site with more details on getting Evernote available in PortableApps.com Format. We look forward to working with you and making Evernote available portably to our millions of users!
Thanks John! I found the email and I'll have someone get in contact with you. :)

This. Would. Be. Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was actually not aware that there was a newer version - when I check for updates from within Evernote it says my version is up-to date. But now I see there is 3.5 and even 4.

So my question is can I switch from 3.1 to 4? Would it recognize the database set? Would it alter the database (in case I decide to go back to 3.1)? What are the differences really? Does v4 work for free users (I'm only using EN on my PC)? And last but not least - does v4 have a portable version? 3.1 has a portable version which I'm using from time to time when I switch my PC's?

Thanks a lot!

BTW: If you don't have a portable version you should definitely create one - it's simple: http://portableapps.com/

• Level 5*

The portable version of EN was not truly portable, because it still left some registry keys on the host computer. Not a full install, though, so you would only be detected if someone was specifically checking for any and all registry changes.

I would love to see a fully portable version of EN 4 - but the biggest problem will be the growing database that I have. It will no longer fit on the once "huge" 2GB USB drive that I have! I have had no problems with opening a v4.x database with 3.1 semi-portable except the speed is very slow in comparison with v4.x on my main computer. This may just be a reflection of the better file operations in the higher version as the database file size has grown. Further coding required to make it portable; coding = time, so I am not holding my breath.

The portable version of EN was not truly portable, because it still left some registry keys on the host computer. Not a full install, though, so you would only be detected if someone was specifically checking for any and all registry changes.

I would love to see a fully portable version of EN 4 - but the biggest problem will be the growing database that I have. It will no longer fit on the once "huge" 2GB USB drive that I have! I have had no problems with opening a v4.x database with 3.1 semi-portable except the speed is very slow in comparison with v4.x on my main computer. This may just be a reflection of the better file operations in the higher version as the database file size has grown. Further coding required to make it portable; coding = time, so I am not holding my breath.

Thank you!

Thanks - I'll check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

So there's this one big file on my computer, almost 2 gigs, which is basically the entire database. So Evernote basically downloads all of my notes into the computer it's installed on? This makes it challenging to have a single notebook one a flashdrive, with the other ones on the main computer. I thought Evernote doesn't really store the data on the computer, but streams it directly.

So there's this one big file on my computer, almost 2 gigs, which is basically the entire database.

Not "basically." It is your entire database.

So Evernote basically downloads all of my notes into the computer it's installed on?

Not "basically." EN does download all your notes onto the computer it's installed on, when you're using a desktop client (Mac/Windows).

I thought Evernote doesn't really store the data on the computer, but streams it directly.

Not when you're using a desktop version (IE Mac/Windows.) See my statement above.

This makes it challenging to have a single notebook one a flashdrive, with the other ones on the main computer. .

I would say so.

Still stuck with 3.1, waiting for the portable version. I have gone through all the portable threads, looks like its coming, maybe you'll are working with portableapps. Without sounding too rude, any ETA?

Kind regards,

Xanadu

thanks BurgersNFries

will try out http://www.kleinfelter.com/node/247, looks promising.

I don't want to run Evernote in some kind of stealth mode, don't mind if some traces are left back. My requirements are, I should be able to plug my USB drive in any of the newer Windows OS's (XP/Vista/7), be able to run Evernote from the USB, without any major dependencies like .NET, JRE (nevernote) etc, when done working leave no traces of my data (application traces are fine) and at the same time not disturb the host system, disturb in the sense cause problems, if some registry keys show I have used Evernote on this host that's fine. Hope I am not asking for much.

Thanks,

Xanadu

• 2 weeks later...

Please, please, please, please resurect a version of Evernote that runs from a USB drive. Our corporate administrators block evernote.com and don't allow 'non corporate' software to be installed on our machines. The only option I have is to use a USB version. My previous usb died and I cant find an old 3.1 version to install onto a new USB stick.

Pretty please :()

You can install 3.1 from here.

Many thanks BurgersNFries. Can't believe I didn't see that. I assumed it would be the same as the main 'Download Evernote for windows' link (which defaults to latest version).

Evernote, you listening? - We would still like an up-2-date version for usb please :()

Thank's again.

Hey there,

I know there is no portable Evernote version out there, yet, so I would like to change my database to a portable USB-Stick.

Are there any things I need to pay attention for? What happens, when I start Evernote before plugging the USB-Stick in?

I've used EN with the database stored on a USB stick on my netbook for several years. Works just fine. You just go to tools/options/general tab & move the database to the stick. I don't know what EN does if you invoke it w/o the USB stick plugged in. I think, if it can't find the db, it pops up an error dialog box informing you of this. I do know at one time, I tried to set EN on my Windows desktop to start at login. But I ran into a problem with that b/c I have my EN database stored in a Truecrypted container. So EN would start b/f I'd mounted the TC container & I'd get an error message. But no big deal problems resulted. IIRC, I just closed up EN, mounted the TC container & then reinvoked EN & all was well. I know that's not exactly the same situation, but probably close enough to call it a cigar. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

It is a long time subject discussed before. What about reintegrating a portable version in the evernote program ?

For me it would be very nice ... as I like very much portable programs and use them regularly on my portable usb disk.

What do you think about ?

Yes, please, absolutely!

I use the most recent version of evernote from my home PC, the problem is, that I use EN most often from work - using my old (3.1) portable version. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this!

Thank you so much for getting the ball rolling!

Is there any update? I've requested it on twitter whenever they make a call for podcast topics. Just wondering - and waiting as patiently as I can! :-)

Thanks,

LANCE

I think that they'd like to do it, but it's probably a secondary goal.

That makes sense. There are more pressing issues such as (1) note linking; (2) note duplication; and (3) templating.

Still, would be nice.

I registered just to add my voice to the list of requests. My access to evernote.com is blocked at work, so I can't really edit my evernote files at work, but I can use a thumb drive with portable apps. Portable Evernote would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi recently my Evernote install at work has stopped syncing... dropbox also doens't work so I'm guessing SSL connections for us have been fire walled or something.

Anyway... instead of trying to explain myself I intend to stick the database on a USB stick and take it home to sync back up to the cloud. I'm sure this will work but I have two questions.

1) Will speed be significantly reduced using a flash drive (like a sandisk datacruzer)

2) also... I think they have banned the evernote.com domain... so will my EN client stop being the 'Premium' version I pay for?

Any other work arounds are also welcome! I don't want to switch to OneNote :D

And for the record I will be encrypting the flashdrive using truecrypt.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
My access to evernote.com is blocked at work nor I can install any software on my PC at wort (it is policy) but I can use a thumb drive with portable apps. Portable Evernote would be great!

I like the evernote for the way how the notes are trackable and for tags and for the search feature. For my tasks I am using MLO application on my USB drive. Do you have any idea when Ever note would be on USB or alternativelly any suggestion what soft I could use in the mean time which would have note and tag capability?

Thanks,

Mailcom

• 2 weeks later...

I think that an portable version is a must and will also be interesting for lot of users who like to use Evernote for work. The most corporate IT-policies will not allow the installation of any third party software. So what are the other options evernote offer?

Internet platform

This works as long as you are in the office and connected to the Internet - but what is on business trips?

Android app

I use the Android app on my phone and it's nice but useless as the Search option is only available while you are connected to the Internet via GPRS or WiFi

And that's the problem - you guys from Evernote should travel trough Europe than you will learn that GPRS is quite expensive as soon as you are in the roaming mode and that WiFi is not avaialable everywhere and that it is also quite expensive.

That's the reason why I still run Evernote 4.3 from an SD card - even if it is not supported it works - it's not as stable as it maybe is if the software is installed but it works. If this option will be sometimes not possible anymore I need to stop to use evernote.... and I bet that there are thousand other users which have the same problem - coprorate computer w/o admin rights and no 100% wireless Internet connection....

Marcus

• Level 5*

I would imagine that the same kind of corporates that don't allow you to install applications or visit certain web sites will also lock down the USB port on it's computers. This is certainly my experience in working with very large multi-national enterprises.

So you have a subset of people who can't install or go to evernote.com that is made even smaller by removing those whose USB ports are locked down. I would imagine you end up with a relatively small potential user population and so I wonder how interested Evernote are in spending time and $$$$s on building and maintaing an app (or 2, windows and OS X?) for this group.

@metrodon I'm working also in a large multi national company but the USB ports remain unlocked as this option is - at least at the moment - needed to exchange larger amounts of data (e.g. hand out a presentation to a customer, price lists ect.). Maybe this has also to do with the fact that in Europe data traffic is still quite expensive :? So far I also haven't seen computers were the USB ports are deactivated - and I have a lot of contact with customers and vendors and do exchange frequently data with them over USB sticks. But I fully agree with you that Evernote has to decide wether or not a portable app make sense based on economical data. I only hope that Evernote takes the specifics of the European market into consideration...

I love Evernote and using it frequently since 2006 - and that's exact the reason why I like to have an official portable app - at the moment I have with every new build the fear that it will stop working from my SD card :shock: and as I mentioned previously all the online solutions are definitely not an option for somebody who has to travel a lot into different countries - all the roaming fees will make me a poor man....

Any movement on this? I'm an old 2.2 portable user that just moved to 4.4 and one of the other things that is going to be a problem is the webclipper. The old webclipper for 2.2 worked fine with the portable version, but it looks like the new version depends on a registered component that might keep it from working with a version packaged as a portableapp. I didn't troubleshoot it too far but I couldn't get it working when using Kevin Kleinfelter's method, with the webclipper installed in FireFox 4 portable.

• 1 month later...

Would love to see the return of an official portable version as well. We're limited in our software installs at work, but interestingly, the USB ports are wide open. And the web version simply doesn't "do it" for me...

• 1 month later...

This is what happens if I open the installer:

7OKd.jpeg

Basically it's saying "Evernote has been installed by another user on this computer before and only one user is supported by Evernote. Thus you need to uninstall the existing one and install again using Administrator account."

The fact is I do have uninstalled it (plus, even that Windows login account has been revoked). This is my office computer so I don't have access to the "Administrator" account, but the account I'm using has install privilege and I can install other applications pretty well. As a workaround I'd been using a portable build created by a third-party, but it was slow. So how can I get it installed? Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

Probably not a priority. They did rewrite the software after version 3.1, which made it more difficult to make a portable version. There have been attempts at making a portable version, but they seem to have stalled - http://portableapps.com/node/22217 tells the latest info. That thread also makes reference to nevernote.nl - it is designed to run on Linux, but it does, apparently, run on Windoze, although it has somewhat limited functionality.

I would love to see a fully portable version of EN - I find it hard to understand why it has to be so hard to work with PortableApps to make a fully portable version!

Hi all -

I'm a big fan of Evernote, as well as the Portable Apps platform located at portableapps.com.

I'm wondering if there has been any recent progress on this? I'm sure you folks at Evernote are busy, as are the people at portableapps.com.

I understand that Evernote uses .NET, which PortableApps.com doesn't rely on.

What minimum version of .NET does Evernote require? If it is within my (limited) skill set to make modify this app so it is portable, would that be welcome? Obviously, the only way I would mess with this is with your permission.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Evernote can be made portable with a quick and simple .nsi script (and ofc NSI with the killproc / findproc and registry plugin.

I'm using this method for a few weeks now and never had any problems with it.

Leaves no traces on the computer, works from any drive and has no problems with an already existing local installation (at least it shouldn't have).

A corresponding script looks like this:

;---Definitions----

!define SNAME "Evernote [Portable]"

;----Includes----

!include "LogicLib.nsh"
!include "Registry.nsh"

;-----Runtime switches----
CRCCheck off
AutoCloseWindow True
SilentInstall silent
WindowIcon off
XPSTYLE on
RequestExecutionLevel user

SetCompress Auto
SetCompressor /SOLID lzma
SetCompressorDictSize 32
SetDatablockOptimize On

;-----Set basic information-----

Name "${SNAME}"
Icon "${SNAME}.ico"
Caption "${SNAME} Launcher"
OutFile "..\${SNAME}.exe"

;-----Version Information------

LoadLanguageFile "${NSISDIR}\Contrib\Language files\English.nlf"

VIProductVersion "0.1.0.0"
VIAddVersionKey /LANG=${LANG_ENGLISH} "ProductName" "Evernote [Portable] Launcher"
VIAddVersionKey /LANG=${LANG_ENGLISH} "LegalCopyright" " 2011"
VIAddVersionKey /LANG=${LANG_ENGLISH} "FileDescription" "Evernote Launcher"
VIAddVersionKey /LANG=${LANG_ENGLISH} "FileVersion" "1.0"

Section "Main"

;---Initialize variables
Var /GLOBAL AppName
Var /GLOBAL ForegroundProcessName
Var /GLOBAL BackgroundProcessName

;---Populate variables
StrCpy $AppName "EvernoteTray.exe"
StrCpy $ForegroundProcessName "Evernote.exe"
StrCpy $BackgroundProcessName "EvernoteClipper.exe"

;---CheckForRunningInstance
FindProcDLL::FindProc "$ForegroundProcessName"
${if} $R0 == "1"
MessageBox MB_OK|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION "${SNAME} is already running, aborted!"
Abort
${endif}

;-----Saving Local Registration Data------

${registry::KeyExists} "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote" $R0
${if} $R0 == "0"
${registry::SaveKey} "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote" "$EXEDIR\Data\.LocalSettings.reg" "/G=1" $R0
Sleep 250
${endif}

;-----Importing Regkeys------

${if} $R0 == "0"
IfFileExists "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Remove].reg" "" +4
${registry::RestoreKey} "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Remove].reg" $R0
Sleep 150
${endif}

IfFileExists "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Install].reg" "" +3
${registry::RestoreKey} "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Install].reg" $R0
Sleep 250

${if} $R0 == "0"
WriteRegStr HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Software\Evernote\Evernote" "EvernotePath" "$EXEDIR\Data"
WriteRegStr HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Software\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate" "AutoUpdateCacheCurrentRN" "$EXEDIR\Data\AutoUpdate\CurrentReleaseNotes.html"
WriteRegStr HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Software\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate" "AutoUpdateCacheCurrentXML" "$EXEDIR\Data\AutoUpdate\current.xml"
Sleep 150
${endif}

;-----Launching Application------

ExecWait '"$EXEDIR\App\$AppName"'

;-----Cleaning up------

;---Wait for $ForegroundProcessName shutdown
FindProcDLL::FindProc "$ForegroundProcessName"
${if} $R0 == "1"
Sleep 250
Goto -3
${endif}

;---Wait for $BackgroundProcessName shutdown
FindProcDLL::FindProc "$BackgroundProcessName"
${if} $R0 == "1"
KillProcDLL::KillProc "$BackgroundProcessName"
Goto -3
${endif}

${if} $R0 == "0"
${registry::SaveKey} "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote" "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Install].reg" "/G=1" $R0
Sleep 250
${endif}

IfFileExists "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Remove].reg" "" +3
${registry::RestoreKey} "$EXEDIR\Data\Settings [Remove].reg" $R0
Sleep 250

;-----Restoring Local Registration Data------

IfFileExists "$EXEDIR\Data\.LocalSettings.reg" "" +4
${registry::RestoreKey} "$EXEDIR\Data\.LocalSettings.reg" $R0
Sleep 250
Delete "$EXEDIR\Data\.LocalSettings.reg"

SectionEnd

• 1 month later...

I haven't fiddled with Evernote in a while since the 2.2 days. Back then, there was a version of Evernote called portable that could be installed on a thumb drive. This was pretty cool as you could take it with you and also lent itself to being run off a samba share/Windows network drive.

I think this would neatly solve the problem of having to install Evernote on every desktop on the network and would also at the same time ensure some degree of data redundancy as the installation would be installed on a RAID NAS.

Alternatively, I'd like to have each local installation of Evernote on the network refer to a shared network drive for the notebooks. This would of course raise issues of database lock on the NAS as well as possible corruption, but I wouldn't be accessing the same notebook from two different computers at the same time.

I know that I could setup a script to back up the archive, but I was wondering if it is possible to just keep the notebooks on a RAID NAS?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jm, I too really miss the portable version of Evernote. With 16gb thumb drives costing just a few ££ it is feasible to carry around a huge evernote bundle.

As someone forced to use Windows in full lockdown the option to be able to run a non-install version of EN would be great.

• Level 5*

Search on this forum for "portable version" and you will find extensive discussion about this topic. Check out http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16132-any-news-on-the-portable-version/ for example. Bottom line is that the code for EN was completely rewritten, making it difficult to develop a portable version. The above thread contains a link to a possible way of making a portable version, although I tried to do it quickly and was not successful - but maybe that's just me.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I use Evernote on a mobile Harddrive. And I use the same database on 4 devices.

At first I install Evernote normal.

1. abord evernoteclipper.exe (taskmanager)

2. move the new Evernote directory from C:programmesevernote to the mobile divice, and overwrite the older files

I use the beta releases.

So I do not need to update the Evernote to all my Devices (Netbook, Notebook, Desktop, business Notebook)

The problem is, that I can not use the Clip Screenshot.

Where can I edit a config file to tell Evernote where the new path is?

And why is there no official portable version of Evernote for Windows?

It works. U have to modify only a few things, haven't you?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also dependent on a portable solution or no-admin-rights-required version, something like dropbox installer. There the installer will first ask for system permission, if a "no" is given, it'll continue and install it with [i guess] some features disabled. But it works very well. A fully portable ZIP file would be even better.

Many many people work in enterprises with no admin rights, locked down windows behind proxy servers. The only option is evernote web, which is wonderful, but not all powerful.

• Level 5*

a portable option for evernote on windows and the mac would be swell. i have a 32gb thumb drive that would love to hold my evernote data. this would solve two problems:

1. using evernote on machines with tiny ssd, like the macbook air--evernote downloads all or nothing on a sync, so large accounts will gobble up all of the space

2. using evernote away from your main computer

i hope they will consider rewriting the code to make this an option. evernote on the web is fine for what it is, but so limited and frustrating to use.

• Level 5*

I happened to run across this page.. I don't speak the language, so I have no idea what it says. Maybe GrumpyMonkey can translate...

Would be good to have a translation, but I would be cautious about installing something that has not been approved by Evernote ... and previous discussions indicate that is unlikely to happen. PortableApps.com would be the most likely source, but they are vigilant about deleting links to unapproved versions: http://portableapps.com/node/22217

Of course, the other alternative is to get a wi-fi hotspot, plus a "portable" device like a tablet and connect via wi-fi to your desktop ... full access with no synchronization problems.

However, for the Evernote Everywhere dream to realized, IMHO a truly portable version is an important element of the product line. But then I am not associated with EN in any way other than as an addicted user!

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

As there is no news on the portable version, I suppose this is something Evernote will never support again. I primarily use Evernote 4 which I have installed on my laptop and home PC. I still maintain a copy of Evernote 3.1.0 which is the last portable version on my pendrive and sync this online once in a while. Its a one way sync as I never change anything in 3.1.0, I just get the latest notes from the cloud to the portable version database. Now my concern is, is it okay to still use 3.1.0? Do I risk corrupting /losing my online notes when I sync the 3.1.0 client ?

Kind regards,

Xanadu

• Level 5*

I think that you're OK, as far as notes go; the ENML 2 standard used to encode notes (as described in the developer's section: http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/ENML.php) hasn't changed since late in 2007, according to the DTD. Obviously, new structures like stacks and nested tags weren't around for 3.1, so I don't know how those translate, but if your note database is coming down to you OK, then it's probably going to go back up as well. You might be running into a problem later this year, though, as Evernote authorization is going over to strictly Oauth and I don't know whether 3.1 supports that.

If you haven't looked at the web version recently, you might give it another try -- it's improved a pretty fair amount.

• Level 5*

I'd guess that Evernote thinks that making the current version(s) work the web and on most common hardware is better than creating a portable version that is bound to have to make compromises along the way; so development of an upgraded or a new version is pretty unlikely. They'd never tell us anyway. I'd be cautious in continuing to use an 'old' version - sooner or later it will fall over and you stand a good chance of losing some data in the process. By definition Evernote aren't going to issue a general warning that "this database is no longer compatible with unsupported and outdated versions" so you're only going to find out when you start to have problems. If you have the budget, a mobile access via smartphone or pad would seem far safer - and as @jef notes, there's always the web for the 'occasional' addition.

• 4 weeks later...

After years of Evernote, being tacitly approved at work, there has been a change of policy, and both the synchronisation and web access have been blocked.

This is devastatingly bad news - as all my projects are organised via Evernote - it is also the highest volume use by me - so much of the justification for the premium service.

(We are working to get this reversed, but our change control is such that breaking things is a much quicker process that reversing breakages...)

In the short term, it is not a traditional portable version I want, but the ability to make the data portable, e.g. via USB stick (trying to synchronise via a portable app wont work).

Reading the thread - this would seem to be a request for a robust database import / export, in addition to portability. (happy to hear alternative suggestions)

• Level 5

JohnG,

Technically, there is a way of using Evernote with the database file located on the USB stick. This is not recommended because of reliability concerns, however it's totally possible: just change Evernote files location using Tools/Options/<General> [Change...] button to point to your USB stick on your work and home computers, so that you can sync at home and bring the synced database to work,

Potential problems:

1. If USB stick is disconnected before or while the data is written, your local database may be corrupted. You may overcome this to some extent by disabling Write Through caching for this device, however this would negatively impact the performance and will still not help if USB stick is disconnected during writing operation.

2. USB stick may show up at different drive letter next time it is inserted which would make the Evernote files path stored in the registry invalid. You may overcome this by copying program files to USB stick: if Evernote.exe is running off the removable drive and EvernotePath registry variable has asterisk (*) character in place of the drive letter, that asterisk will be replaced with the drive letter of the device Evernote.exe was started from.

Again, this is not supported and not recommended, USB sticks are just not reliable enough to store active database files.

/Peter

Archived