(Archived) Evernote for MacOS 3.0.0 Beta 3

dlu

Idea

35 replies to this idea

Just chiming in to whine as loudly as possible about the loss of Snippet View in Beta 3. In Beta 2 it was still available, although it was only accessible by clicking the corresponding View menu item in the hidden menu bar, since the toolbar button set to switch views is grayed out.

I love the notion of fullscreen (working off a MacBook Air, here) and I'm implementing it everywhere I can, using macros/scripts to auto-full screen all full-screen capable apps. But immediately after installing Beta 3, I had to re-write my scripts to remove Evernote, since EN is all-but-useless without snippet view.

It's one thing to see new features added in a beta -- it's another thing altogether (and most maddening !) to see a basic, favorite, beloved feature just up and disappear on a whim. Snippet view gives Evernote the look/feel/functionality of a really good mail or RSS client providing one-click access to instantly view a note's content. By removing it, you double a user's need to click in order to interface with their data.

So as s much as I truly love Evernote, and have recommended it with tremendous enthusiasm to colleagues, associates, family and friends for the past year, the decision to nix snippet view, if permanent, while not exactly pushing me into the arms of a competitor, will definitely lead me to give them a second look and see what their developers are up to.

I'll say the same about fullscreen in Lion, no snippet view = useless, why on earth would you even remove that view and the others.

Why not give the choice, I bet most people think they the default view in fullscreen is useless, no way to see anything in that.

• Level 5*
Just chiming in to whine as loudly as possible about the loss of Snippet View in Beta 3.

Just to clarify, is it completely gone or missing only in full screen view?

Just full screen.

Frankly guys (Evernote team) instead of wasting your time and ours on gimmicks like full-screen mode (which we all lived happily without a few weeks ago) you should focus on restoring broken functionality, like restoring the universal copy shortcut.

Frankly guys (Evernote team) instead of wasting your time and ours on gimmicks like full-screen mode (which we all lived happily without a few weeks ago) you should focus on restoring broken functionality, like restoring the universal copy shortcut.

Agreed. It's clear that the Evernote guys all drank double servings of the WWDC Kool-Aid this year, and I know that it's more fun to develop shiny new features ... but seriously, you need to maintain the basics first, and you're not doing that. I'm really starting to lose faith. :D

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Thus far, we are only enabling one particular view in fullscreen mode. We still need to explore offering multiple views. We haven't ruled it out, but at the very least there are some interactions that arise when allowing multiple views that we still need to consider & address. You can still use your favorite views in Evernote and maximize the screen size for a similar effect. (Not quite the same I know)

We've currently been juggling both new features and bug fixes. Sorry if we're not moving quickly enough in either direction for everyone. We will be circling back to polishing the app soon. We do read all the posts in the forum, and everything in this thread I've read over multiple times and made note of. Our internal prioritization must seem a little weird to the public, but we do have a method to the madness. Promise.

Thanks everyone for posting

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We've currently been juggling both new features and bug fixes. Sorry if we're not moving quickly enough in either direction for everyone. We will be circling back to polishing the app soon. We do read all the posts in the forum, and everything in this thread I've read over multiple times and made note of. Our internal prioritization must seem a little weird to the public, but we do have a method to the madness. Promise.

Thanks everyone for posting

If you think adding new features no one was asking for (e.g., full-screen mode) is more urgent than fixing basic note-taking functionality in a note-taking app (e.g., the universal copy to Evernote shortcut, aka alt+cmd+v) then you clearly have your priorities wrong. Sorry, but there’s no other way to put it. The broken copy shortcut was first brought to Evernote’s attention by your’s truly in early June, that’s about two months ago, and you still don’t see it as a priority. That’s no way to treat customers.

If you think adding new features no one was asking for (e.g., full-screen mode) is more urgent than fixing basic note-taking functionality in a note-taking app (e.g., the universal copy to Evernote shortcut, aka alt+cmd+v) then you clearly have your priorities wrong. Sorry, but there’s no other way to put it. The broken copy shortcut was first brought to Evernote’s attention by your’s truly in early June, that’s about two months ago, and you still don’t see it as a priority. That’s no way to treat customers.

Thanks for your input. Sorry about the copy shortcut, along with all the other known issues. We'll be working our way through the backlog shortly to do some much needed catching up.

Sorry you disagree with our prioritization, (and not that this was the deciding factor) but I will point out, full-screen mode is something that's been often asked about since the day Lion was released. http://twitter.com/#!/JFlopsu/status/93879305641263105

I'm really hoping you put multiple views back in Full Screen. I don't like the thumbnail view at all, much prefer Snippets. However, I also really prefer the full screen mode as it makes it much easier to move between Evernote and my other apps. Almost everything I use supports the fullscreen mode. I've been actively avoiding applications that don't, when possible. I've already switch to Safari from Chrome because, even though the Evernote clipper still works in Chrome, Chrome doesn't support the native full screen mode.

Had I realized that that this beta would change the behavior, I probably wouldn't have updated. I do take full responsibility, though, for not checking first. ;)

Thanks for the continued great work.

Is it just me? Or am I the only one trying to work out just what the heck is the supposed benefit of "full screen mode"?

I have a 17" Macbook Pro and a 27" iMac. Also an iPad.

What benefit is there in gaining a few mm around each edge of the Evernote screen, as opposed to having it "maximised", leaving only the usual Menubar along the top of the screen? And if I want a bit of extra space at the bottom, I can set the Dock to auto-hide. So where's the benefit?

Even on a friend's 11" Macbook Air, the normal maximised view is just fine. I just can't see what all the fuss is over the whole full-screen thing in Lion, or this latest EN update....

And I have to say (apart from my compaints about slavishly following the bland grey anonymous look) that fixing very basic functions should be RIGHT at the top of the priority list. NOT new features, especially when they're INSTEAD of fixing the stuff that IS broke.....

• Level 5*

Just cut some text (without a checkbox) from a note and tried to paste it back in lower down.

Selecting cmd+v doesn't do anything, selecting paste from the Edit menu doesn't do anything.

I use ClipMenu and the cut text was available to me - reckon that bug isn't fixed after all.

Just for consistencies' sake I'll report that the search is still an issue in beta3:

I am finding the 'search in evernote' shortcut is very unreliable. Sometimes it brings evernote to the front, sometimes it does nothing at all, depending on what I did

EverNote: 3.0.0 beta3

Lion: App Store 10.7.0 release

- evernote is configured to appear on ALL desktops/spaces

* if evernote is NOT running, the shortcut works

--------

* if I click away to bring another app to the front, the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

* if I switch desktops/spaces, the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

* if I close the evernote WINDOW (cmd-w) and switch to another app, the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

* if I hide the evernote app (cmd-h), the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

I have to quit evernote for the shortcut to ever work.

• Level 5*

The search shortcut being broken is killing me....

This fairly basic use case remains broken - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28251

For what it's worth (1 last go), full screen is completely useless to me if the only view option is thumbnails. It does seem to me to be a step backwards to require the user to double-click and open a note in order to edit it.

In the end, it won't matter to me as I just won't use the functionality - but I'll certainly understand the frustrations of those that will come on here to complain.

I like being able to add things to the favourites bar - being able to rearrange them, and remove them would be nice too. I like the idea of being able to put a single note or a saved search in the bar temporarily, such as this year's holiday plans, or the notes for the book I'm studying at the moment.

I'm with the group that doesn't like just having the thumbnail view in full screen mode. Full screen isn't an advantage over the normal view if it can't support the full range of options. I use the snippet view normally, and don't like having it change if I change the view mode.

Not really sure what I am missing here, but I have been unable to find a way to get into fullscreen view in beta 2 or 3. There's neither a button on the window-top-right, nor a menu-command. How do I get to fullscreen view?

• Level 5*
Not really sure what I am missing here, but I have been unable to find a way to get into fullscreen view in beta 2 or 3. There's neither a button on the window-top-right, nor a menu-command. How do I get to fullscreen view?

Are you running Lion? Look for 2 arrows in the top right of the window.

Are you running Lion? Look for 2 arrows in the top right of the window.

Indeed. Running Lion and beta 3, but there are no arrows in the top right corner as in other apps that can do fullscreen. I am using German as the main language. Does that somehow interfere with the UI in the beta?

• Level 5*

I'm looking forward to using the cool Evernote Mac features enabled by the Mac Lion OS as much as anyone, but I must admit that, IMO, there are some higher priority changes that should be made before you add nice-to-have, but not required, Lion-related features:

1. [*:3bngfu6t]The MOST important "feature" is for Evernote Mac to run with EXISTING features on Lion without any new bugs or problems.
    [*:3bngfu6t]There are a few bugs that have been around a long time that really should be fixed.
    [*:3bngfu6t]There are are about 8 features that have been in Evernote Windows since last year that are MISSING from Evernote Mac.

• [*:3bngfu6t]These are NOT new Windows features.
    [*:3bngfu6t]This goes well beyond any reasonable period to add a feature to EN Mac after EN Win
    [*:3bngfu6t]Many of these would seem to be simple interface features like show/hide of the various panels
    [*:3bngfu6t]These missing features have been pointed out several times 3-4 months ago, but so far no one from Evernote has bothered to respond.
    [*:3bngfu6t]Please respond and tell us whether or not you ever intend to implement these features on the Mac
    [*:3bngfu6t]See
Windows Features Missing from Mac Client for one list.

Thanks for a great product. Please bring it up to par with Evernote Windows soon.

Evernote, please give us the option to view Evernote in Full Screen in (List View, Snippet View or Thumbnail View). I understand why Evernote has Thumbnail view for us to click the note and see it in Full Screen. But let the user choose what he wants :( less headaches and happy customers & users :)

Just for consistencies' sake I'll report that the search is still an issue in beta3

Noted indeed. If anyone's opened a support ticket, please let me know and I'll make sure they're all looked at when we dive into the issue.

Favorites bar will get some new functionality to customize what is on the fav bar.

@metrodon, @felix, @jkr & @stamatgeorge thanks for the feedback

I find that Evernote for MacOS 3.0.0 Beta 3 hangs and freezes most of the time and takes long time to startup.

I tried to attach log eport but it said it was too large and tried to past here but says same. too large.

Any way I can send it to the people working on the Evernote 3.0 Beta 3 ?

Archived