Selectable offline folder path?

I tried searching, and am surprised I didn't find any other threads on this.

I have an Acer Iconia Tab a500. For some reason, they decided to name the SD card /mnt/external_sd/ and the internal memory as /mnt/sdcard/

Stupid, I know. The problem is that everything is being stored on the internal memory, and nothing is being put onto the external card.

I'd really like a way that I can go into the settings of the android app and set a path to store all my offline notebooks. Currently my external SD card is useless because of this stupid naming convention. In the future though, I can see people wanting to be able to set their paths directly for organization purposes.

Is this possible already? (Didn't see it if it is.) Can it be added?

Thanks!

I think this is possible, but I don't quite remember how to do it. I was able to store my information on my smart card and that worked really well for me when I switched phones. It was complicated when I did it, which is why I can't remember all the steps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my Toshiba Thrive, but my sd card is called something like /sd card/disk 0/

I hear that 3.2 fixes this.. but Im not sure it does and Im not sure if Toshiba is ever coming out with an update....

Evernote team, please add the ability to adjust the location of my SD card! Thanks

Hi Guys,

We use standard Android api to get path of the sdcard.

Its sad that couple of devices including Toshiba returns path of the internal file system instead of SDcard path.

We will look into it and investigate if there is any clean solution.

Thanks,

Hemant

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

We use standard Android api to get path of the sdcard.

Its sad that couple of devices including Toshiba returns path of the internal file system instead of SDcard path.

We will look into it and investigate if there is any clean solution.

Thanks,

Hemant

Hemant,

Have you found anything out regarding this problem?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am a Premium user.

I have just switched phones for a Motorola Razr XT910 with Android 2.3.5 and the problem of "SDcard" now being internal memory and "SDcard-ext" being the actual external card has become a problem. Evernote will only store to the internal memory (i.e SDCard) and there is no way to pick my own path for storing my offline notes.

We need a fix a for this please.

My girlfriend just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE with android 2.3.5 also and she has the same problem as me.

P.S Our old phones were Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 who only had external storage.

You *can* do this with a few unsupported "Tricks."

1. You will likely need to root your device.

I know of one "mod" that exists to take the mounted external SD card and "add" it to your internal memory, so that the space is available for apps to use in that manner.

I know of one *ROM* that rewrites the filesystem to make it look like a normal one, and allow Evernote and other apps to work properly.

And, as a third option, you could use a symbolic link/alias from your Evernote data directory on the internal card to one created on the SD card.

• 2 months later...

I just learned about the whole "SD means internal SD not external SD" when I had to have my phone replaced. I thought I had some important info backed up to my SD card. Haha for me! It was on the phone, and thus it was all lost. SO annoying!!

Anyway, I second or third or whatever the request to add the option to set offline storage path in Settings. I've been having lots of problems even with my "new" (as in refurbished replacement) phone, and have had to reset it more than once. I really want to keep all my important info on the real actual SD card, aka sd-ext.

Thanks -- Barbara

P.S. My phone is not rooted and I really don't want to go there.

Please, EN, please do implement selectable offline storage folder path.

My main motivation is to be able to point EN to encrypted folder on my SD card.

I understand that this represents problem with EN widgets, but I really don't need

or use EN widgets. I keep some private data in EN notes and I would be really

happy to keep them private even if my phone gets stolen or lost.

(I would gladly pay 2x premium subscription fee if you implement this.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm with the same problem: Evernote is storing all offline data in the internal memory of my Asus Transformer TF101. The internal memory is labeled "/mnt/sdcard" while to external MicroSD is labeled "/Removable/MicroSD/". I think this change of paths is confusing Android Evernote.

It would be nice if this problem could be fixed.

Thanks, Humberto.

• 2 months later...

this thread on the issue of specifying offline storage to external SD was started 1st August 2011.

It's now 14th June 2012 and not even a trace of progress.

Being able to select a location for storage away from internal storage is a significant feature. Given that applications of all kinds don't seem to have any problems providing this, it would appear to be trivial to implement.

So, the lack of action can only imply that evernote has no intention of implementing this. (Why? .. who knows. Presumably someone thinks it would be a great idea to not be able to store offline info on external SD).

At the moment, i'm not bumping my head with storage requirements. But, if i use this application seriously then it won't be long before i have to start juggling to fit into limited space .. because evernote won't provide this simple, but essential, funcitonality.

So .. is there any point having the premium account if offline storage is going to be a headache?

• 4 weeks later...

I really would need the feature to have the offline notebooks on the external SD on my Galaxy Note. Internal is pretty cramped already. Please Evernote Team, address this!

I reported this 6 months ago and no real solutions have been provided for this problem. Me and my girlfriend are both Premium users since I convinced her to join, but we both have the same problem on two different phones; My Razr xt910 and her Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE.

Offline notes will soon become a big no for us.

Add me to the list of Premium users who are requesting the ability to choose the path for Evernote to save files to. Having to copy/move files manually or use a convoluted workaround is a real pain. This was being discussed in a tablet forum I belong to, and others expressed their frustration with this issue as well. Just wondering why we aren't being given this option? Is there some reason it just can't be done, or is it that only a relative few of us are requesting it? This issue it the one thorn in my side in an otherwise wonderful Evernote experience.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for me. Evernote team needs to address this, otherwise there will come a time when I, and many others, I'm sure, will migrate from Evernote as our tablets fill up with offline notebooks. Not good.

This is exactly my problem now. I went through the settings again and again assuming that specifying the location of EN data was a given feature. I was really surprised to find out that it's not. Can this be done attention please, my internal memory is almost full and I'd really like to move everything to my external sd card without breaking all the file paths and I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I see the Forums have had a redesign - not sure if I'm posting this in the right place; but if I am..

How can I get my Evernote storage moved to my external SD card? I have an unrooted 16GB Samsung Galaxy S2 with 2GB of internal storage, 16GB of 'USB storage' and an extra 16GB of external SD card (so 32GB in total).

I'm a geek, so have lots of apps with data storage and caches of their own; and a notebook set for offline searches with (currently) 9,586 notes. It's a BIG file - 9GB or so. And (big surprise) I'm getting 'insufficient storage space on device' errors when I try to sync.

So I've

• deleted some of my "wonder what this does" apps
  • moved the biggest apps (including Evernote) to SD card
  • used an app to clear all my stored caches
  • deleted all my book, music and movie files (I get bored..)

...and I have 14GB free on my external SD card, but only 30MB free on the internal USB storage, which folder shows as 'mmt/sdcard' and contains my Evernote databases.

I thought there was a 'move database to SD card' option somewhere in Evernote but I can't seem to find it now.

I can obviously be more selective about what I keep in the offline searchable notebook, but the fact I have 14GB free on the external SD card and nothing else seems to want to use it is seriously bugging me at present. I don't have free time to play with it for the moment - anyone got a magic fix to suggest?

This is the Japanese section of the forum, so I will move it to the correct one for you :) (Evernote - then you select Android when posting a new topic) EDIT: Done

There are a couple of threads about this, and it appears that EN needs at least 100mb free.

I also cannot find an option to move to sd card. I guess we could hint at a this being a request for that option. I would welcome it too ;)

One possible thing to do is try removing some of the data from the Unsaved_Notes folder within the Evernote folders, since there can be many images etc. in there. Could free up a little more space

• Level 5*

Thanks for the redirection - knew I did something wrong, but I was trying to post a new topic actually from the Android 'Folder' (which I gather now has its own cloud) and got confused when it still offered me a long list of options. Would be better to default to posting in the same topic area as is actually being read..

OK wait.. I have an Unsaved_Notes folder? And what might this worryingly named folder actually contain?

..In my case about 30MB of data, mainly pictures. Can I delete these items, or do I need to check whether they've actually been uploaded?

Don't know whether this is peculiar to Android, Samsung or the Galaxy model, but the physical SD card isn't the target when you 'move (any application) to SD' - I'd thought that if/ when I ran out of space I could simply reconfigure with a bigger SD card, but clearly unless I can move some significant storage to the external card I'll have to cut back on everything except music!

I tried to add a photo note via the phone earlier but immediately got the 'insufficient device storage', which I imagine is going to be an issue with adding any notes from the mobile - so the real-world upper limit on the number of notes is around 10,000 if you want offline searches, even on a 16GB smartphone!

It would help anyone with a large number of notes to be able to move data storage to removable media. Even typing that I heard a sharp intake of breath noise, but come on - 'removable' in a smartphone means switch it off/ take the battery out/ lose a fingernail getting the micro card out of a crevice.. there's a lot more danger of a rogue keypress damaging data than there is me "forgetting" to put the right media in before I start Evernote.

Long story short for devs with short attention spans and shorter deadlines - Please add a function to move Evernote's support folders to an external SD card on smartphones!

Edit: There's a happy ending (I guess) - I found a medical database of 300MB (don't ask) that I haven't used in ages; deleted that app and I'm back in business - for a while. But, Dear Evernote, please don't relegate my request to one of your famous back-burners; none of us are getting any younger, and until we get this feature I'm now going to have to crawl to my desktop when the pains start to find out whether I need to panic!

Thanks for the redirection - knew I did something wrong, but I was trying to post a new topic actually from the Android 'Folder' (which I gather now has its own cloud) and got confused when it still offered me a long list of options. Would be better to default to posting in the same topic area as is actually being read..

No Problem :)

OK wait.. I have an Unsaved_Notes folder? And what might this worryingly named folder actually contain?

..In my case about 30MB of data, mainly pictures. Can I delete these items, or do I need to check whether they've actually been uploaded?

I can't say for certain, but I recall seeing a post about it before. It contains images that you have added to notes. (It seems to me like a temporary store before upload, but the images aren't deleted.)

All of the images I have in that folder are in EN. I just deleted the images (and voice notes that I have in there for some reason - Other than testing I don't use them) and all is fine so far.

At any rate, rather than deleting, you could back it up to another location perhaps...

Don't know whether this is peculiar to Android, Samsung or the Galaxy model, but the physical SD card isn't the target when you 'move (any application) to SD' - I'd thought that if/ when I ran out of space I could simply reconfigure with a bigger SD card, but clearly unless I can move some significant storage to the external card I'll have to cut back on everything except music!

I have a similar issue with the referencing to "SD Card"...I recall seeing in some apps, they call the internal storage that and ignore any external storage at all...quite annoying at times.

I tried to add a photo note via the phone earlier but immediately got the 'insufficient device storage', which I imagine is going to be an issue with adding any notes from the mobile - so the real-world upper limit on the number of notes is around 10,000 if you want offline searches, even on a 16GB smartphone!

Offline searches? Or Notebooks? There is an option relating to offline searches but I don't know how that affects storage usage...

It would help anyone with a large number of notes to be able to move data storage to removable media. Even typing that I heard a sharp intake of breath noise, but come on - 'removable' in a smartphone means switch it off/ take the battery out/ lose a fingernail getting the micro card out of a crevice.. there's a lot more danger of a rogue keypress damaging data than there is me "forgetting" to put the right media in before I start Evernote.

Long story short for devs with short attention spans and shorter deadlines - Please add a function to move Evernote's support folders to an external SD card on smartphones!

Edit: There's a happy ending (I guess) - I found a medical database of 300MB (don't ask) that I haven't used in ages; deleted that app and I'm back in business - for a while. But, Dear Evernote, please don't relegate my request to one of your famous back-burners; none of us are getting any younger, and until we get this feature I'm now going to have to crawl to my desktop when the pains start to find out whether I need to panic!

I would like the option to as well. I currently have enough space, but I expect that I will get there eventually and would love to avoid it at all.

How do you manage all of your data on the device? With my tablet, I decided that anything that I could choose the location for (docs, music, videos, etc.) would be stored on the memory card, ensuring that I left as much free space on the device itself. It is working for me now, but I can see myself filling the card up in the near future, so may have to get a bigger card.

• Level 5*
How do you manage all of your data on the device? With my tablet, I decided that anything that I could choose the location for (docs, music, videos, etc.) would be stored on the memory card, ensuring that I left as much free space on the device itself. It is working for me now, but I can see myself filling the card up in the near future, so may have to get a bigger card.

Ditto. I wanted the device as a roving data input and reference source so opted for a 16GB version (which seems to give me about 12GB of actual storage, but hey..) and the biggest card I could afford at the time, which was another 16GB. This total storage space was meant to last "indefinitely" but made it for about 14 months before it hit the buffers. While I waited for the storage to fill up with boring work stuff I thought I could dump 'easily redundantable' items like music and videos on the card for general distraction purposes. When the 'insufficient storage' warnings started popping up I deleted some, then more.. then started actually looking at the architecture around apps, Evernote and other stuff.

I can see why (mentioned above) devs dislike messing with 'removable storage' but for current phones at least I'd think that was just a legacy habit. Not sure how the same view would track to 'pads, but I'd suspect if you have a big expansion card it stays locked in most of the time. Until Android wake up to storing more data on external cards - and I suspect their devs have the same hangup - big data users like Evernote need to offer some stand-alone features.

Offline searches? Or Notebooks? There is an option relating to offline searches but I don't know how that affects storage usage...

Was being sympathetic to Evernote there - didn't want to suggest that there's a low note limit on all mobile devices, just that my choices affected my personal limit. You can obviously select against offline searches and avoid the cache overhead, or move notes out of your notebook to reduce it; but with my current setup (and recent houseclean) I reckon I'll get up to around 12,000 notes before I hit the storage limit again.

Then I'm going to need a bigger 'phone...

• Level 5*

Me three on all of the above - hadn't seen this thread until now (?) but saving data on an external SD card is essential to having an offline notebook with more than a few thousand individual notes!

• Level 5*

Darn. Thanks Nifri for the headsup (and welcome to the forums!).

Hadn't seen that thread before, despite actively lurking here. Just commented on that note that being unable to use the extra storage means offline notebooks are 'limited' in size to a few thousand notes. Doesn't sound like much, but give it a year or two of use and you'll be there..

Don't know if it's Android specific, or Evernote; but I just told my camera app to save its information on the external SD card and it's happily doing so. Shouldn't really be a problem for the Evernote devs to do the same. Pretty Please?

I thought there was a 'move database to SD card' option somewhere in Evernote but I can't seem to find it now.

Now that I think about this some more, I recall a similar option...

Interesting quote from the widget on the play store:

The story behind this widget:

We want every users to have the best Evernote experience possible. Unfortunately, if Evernote is installed on the SD card, then the widgets that comes with the app are unavailable. Thanks to this Evernote Widget application, anyone can take advantage of this time saving feature regardless of where Evernote is installed.

This was relevant to older versions (and probably could be removed from that page) but it compounds the issue that it was possible to move/install to sd at some point in the past.

• Level 5*

After some heavy hints from Heather and various other posters and a whirlwind tour of other forii I now know considerably more than I wanted to about creating links in Android - seems the difference between /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard is present on any device that accepts a plug-in card; but in my vanilla Galaxy there's no way to create such a link easily, and there's no guarantee that everything would work as normal anyway if I did. There's an option to move Evernote to the SD in the phone settings, but that just means /sdcard internal storage. I'm sure though that there was a separate option to save the database in another location - which is pretty common in other apps anyway. Maybe the increased Widget functionality made that impractical - though I'd gladly lose the widget to gain substantially more space.

• Level 5*

Hey Gary, thanks for that - there are actually several apps under "app2sd" and variations in Google Play; some free. some paid for. I eventually chose one by probCOMP which then confusingly came up on my home page as 'moveapps' which does a fine job of organising the standard Android process of moving apps to the SD card. It's possible to do this via system preferences, but it takes a lot of fiddling to move s series of apps, and this just batch processes them one after another. It suggests a move for one or two that don't offer that option, so obviously you mark those as exclusions from further searches. I'm worried though that while there's some information stored on the external SD card, this is mainly just moving apps from the limited internal storage of the 'phone into the 'internal SD' storage that is part of a 16GB phone. After my little moving exercise I have 7.7GB left on the internal card and - still - 15GB left on the external one. I've just opted to download my default notebook again (which is about 9GB on my windows hard drive) for offline viewing so if it completes I'll let you know how much space I have left at the end of that.

• Level 5*

Just an update - after futzing with my App2SD app I've moved everything I can around, but that makes hardly any difference to the GB of internal and external SD free space on my phone. Less than 50MB anyway. I've tried to reset my offline notebook, but so far get 'Last Sync Failed at...' messages, which I assume is due to a lack of space, but there's no error or warning from Evernote. I'll keep trying for a few more days on that. One word of warning - failing to sync a large database plays havoc with your battery power, presumably from all the (pointless) activity involved. My phone died the other night due to lack of amps. which -added bonus- then made me run late for the rest of the day...

• 1 month later...

Any possibility that we could get feedback from someone at Evernote on this thread???

Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed already? I was on online chat with Evernote help and the tech said that she thought it was possible, but I don't think it is possible to change file paths for offline storage. (I'm also a premium user.)

• 1 month later...

Tagging this in case someone finds a solution. Android is confusing since there is (I have 16GB internal):

Internal Storage (4 GB on my tablet)

USB storage (internal) (9GB on my tablet)

SD Card (external) (32GB on my card)

Sometimes (like with app2sd), I've seen the USB storage called SD Card, but it is still internal.

Having a "flat" file space would be nice since I'd like to shove most of my data, music and movies to the cheaper and easier to expand EXT SD Card. I'd like the apps on the supposedly faster internal storage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I'm continuing my unsuccessful search for apps that might allow saving on an sd card - there are a few tips out there, but they seem to be based on rooting the phone which I'm not prepared to do. I've compromised by splitting off an offline notebook that is a much smaller subset of the main database, but it would be much more convenient not to have to predict what I'll want to view in advance...

I'm not prepared to root my tablet either, so I follow the same compromise now too. I have created an ARCHIVE notebook and a DOCUMENTS notebook that are not offline, but keep my WORK and my HOME (shared with family members) notebooks as offline searchable. ARCHIVE is for projects that are finished and not likely to be needed again anytime soon, while DOCUMENTS is just a repository for large attachments related to current projects. Though it is cumbersome to rely on wifi to access the DOCUMENTS notebook or else face the delay of waiting until I get back to my office to access on my laptop, nothing is too urgent for me at this point. And as for ARCHIVE, as long as notes in my WORK are tagged properly, when I finish with a project, I select all the notes tagged accordingly and move them to the ARCHIVE notebook.

Still, it would be most convenient to store on an external SD and not have to mess with more notebooks ...

• 4 weeks later...

The standard for Samsung devices is sdcard0 for internal storage (where Evernote stores it's data) and extSdCard for the external storage. Since Samsung is now the overwhelming leader in android devices, this is no longer a case where "it's sad that a couple of devices" (per the Evernote employee earlier in this post) don't follow the standard. Evernote will not store to the external storage on the majority of android devices being sold today.

• Level 5*

I believe it's an Android issue which does affect all models of 'phone. If anyone has a droid that is saving Evernote data to their SD card, please post the details here - but I'm pretty sure it's every one. However I do have apps that can save data to the external card - notably music and movies. Don't know how that is such a different thing from app data, but if my music player can handle it, why can't Evernote?

Smartphones and tablets tend to have moderate storage, so this won't affect every Evernote user - until they have 5k or more notes, or a lot of other software installed. However, Dear Evernote; please tell me this is on a route plan somewhere. As you move into the business market we're going to be keeping more and more information on our mobile clients, and this artificial limit on local storage is going to restrict your growth into a more serious market..

It must not be impossible to program. The developer of the LectureNotes app allows premium users to choose the location to save notes created by the app. In fact, he allows us to choose different locations for the notes, the backup zip files, and any pdf files we create from the app. Root not required.

• 2 weeks later...

What a sad thread... - we all know that Evernote developers have so much (too much?) on their plates, but ignoring this essential issue for serious and paying customers for over 17 (sorry, it's "only" been 15) months is a huge embarrassment for them. - Please tweet and blog and post wherever possible. Maybe somebody will wake up then...

• Level 5*

Actually I didn't know that Evernote devs had any reason to feel that embarrassed - see comments above that apart from a very few apps, none of which I've been able to test for myself, no Android phone seems able to use the external SD card for anything more than music and video. Something may be in a pipeline somewhere - at Google or at Evernote - but we ain't going to know until it's released. Meantime I'll save my tweets and blogs. Might have a go at the pist I have time though...

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to the list of unhappy External SD card problem users, (premium member....for the moment)

If they dont get this fixed ASAP I will be voting with my feet. This isn't rocket science, the issue is pretty well defined, it looks like different manufacturers use different mount points for the ext SD cards, but Evernote only accepts /mnt/sdcard for storage...

16Months is a helluva long time to fix this...

COME ON!!!! or I'm gone

• Level 5*

Add me to the list of unhappy External SD card problem users, (premium member....for the moment)

If they dont get this fixed ASAP I will be voting with my feet. This isn't rocket science, the issue is pretty well defined, it looks like different manufacturers use different mount points for the ext SD cards, but Evernote only accepts /mnt/sdcard for storage...

16Months is a helluva long time to fix this...

COME ON!!!! or I'm gone

If you've got any examples of apps or manufacturers allowing access to Android external SD storage, please list them here. I've been looking for a while but haven't found any out in the wild yet. I'd like this fixed too, but wouldn't throw any toys out of the pram for it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is true that until today, there are sadly only few apps using the external SD card on newer Android devices. Nevertheless, they exist and here are two apps I have installed that DO use the external SD on my Galaxy SIII:

- Audible: You have the choice of internal memory or SD card when storing audio books

- NAVIGON select: Navigation system that can store offline maps on the SD card

As mentioned somewhere else, some of the stock apps (music and video player, camera, gallery) also use the SD card.

With the amount of internal memory available on my phone, I don't mind if the app itself cannot be transferred to the SD, or even if small volumes of data (settings etc.) can only be stored internally. However, I do mind apps managing larger data volumes and not being able to store them to SD. I have to say that Evernote is the last app of that kind on my phone...

This means that although I have a premium account, I use offline notebooks sparingly, which is a shame because I live in an area where permanent internet access can be costly: from my place  in Germany it is 5 minutes to Switzerland and 15 minutes to France and most days I divide my time between the three countries. In order to avoid excessive data roaming charges, I restrict data connection to my home network, which means that I am offline quite often. You can imagine that I'd love to hear about progress regarding this matter...

• Level 5*

It is true that until today, there are sadly only few apps using the external SD card on newer Android devices. Nevertheless, they exist and here are two apps I have installed that DO use the external SD on my Galaxy SIII:

- Audible: You have the choice of internal memory or SD card when storing audio books

- NAVIGON select: Navigation system that can store offline maps on the SD card

As mentioned somewhere else, some of the stock apps (music and video player, camera, gallery) also use the SD card.

With the amount of internal memory available on my phone, I don't mind if the app itself cannot be transferred to the SD, or even if small volumes of data (settings etc.) can only be stored internally. However, I do mind apps managing larger data volumes and not being able to store them to SD. I have to say that Evernote is the last app of that kind on my phone...

This means that although I have a premium account, I use offline notebooks sparingly, which is a shame because I live in an area where permanent internet access can be costly: from my place  in Germany it is 5 minutes to Switzerland and 15 minutes to France and most days I divide my time between the three countries. In order to avoid excessive data roaming charges, I restrict data connection to my home network, which means that I am offline quite often. You can imagine that I'd love to hear about progress regarding this matter...

Thanks for the examples,  but as we've already discussed,  music and video files apparently can be stored and used on a removable SD card - and I'd guess maps fall into the same category of external data.  However: there are apps that can't be moved even to internal 'SD' storage because that somehow affects their operation,  and even the ones that can move seem to keep a pretty hefty chuck of themselves on main storage. 

I'm only guessing,  and I could easily be wrong,  but it seems that anything which uses a lot of processor power - music player apps forinstance - has to reside (mostly) in main storage.  It can call data from the external SD card - like loading a music file - but the action has to happen elsewhere.  Maybe Evernote's database file sees too much activity to be stored on a removable drive,  or there are other performance or hardware reasons why this is so.

It would be really good if someone knowledgeable about Android systems (not necessarily from Evernote) could comment on this - I'm a member of a couple of forums where I could at least ask the question,  and if I get a response I'll let you know...

Of course it also could be that Evernote is working on a fix and just isn't commenting,  because they don't make advance promises in case they can't keep them!

Stupid question: How does this behave on older Android versions? Evernote is listed as being supported by app2sd, so on versions like 2.2 etc. you could move the app to external SD, and I assume the offline data then went there as well (I currently don't have a device I can use to try). The only thing that needed to stay in internal memory is the widget, as widgets never work from SD. It is hard to imagine that there is a performance issue on newer devices if it worked on older ones. But on the other hand my knowledge about both Android and Evernote is limited, so I shouldn't be speculating.

• Level 5*

Stupid question: How does this behave on older Android versions? Evernote is listed as being supported by app2sd, so on versions like 2.2 etc. you could move the app to external SD, and I assume the offline data then went there as well (I currently don't have a device I can use to try). The only thing that needed to stay in internal memory is the widget, as widgets never work from SD. It is hard to imagine that there is a performance issue on newer devices if it worked on older ones. But on the other hand my knowledge about both Android and Evernote is limited, so I shouldn't be speculating.

All the comments in this thread are speculation since we don't have any authoritative statements anywhere - but I can confirm that (having looked on Quora.com) quite a number of people have raised questions about apps and external / removable SD cards,  so it seems to be a worldwide and all-Android issue.  I threw in an Evernote question too just for fun...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi!

I'm a free Evernote user with a Samsung Galaxy S3 (not rooted) and Evernote is eating all the space in the internal memory (sdcard) with the database, what can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Francisco

You don't say whether you've selected your notebooks for Offline Searching on the 'phone.  If you haven't,  the space being used is just temporary storage and you can clear much of it by clearing the cache.  If you have selected your notebook(s) for offline searching -

1. Don't select all your notebook(s) for offline Searching - you'll have no access to most notes without an internet connection
  2. Start a new notebook specifically for notes you want to have access to via the Samsung,  and use that for offline searching. 
  3. Be choosy about what you put in there.

Still no broad solution AFAIK - I have 15GB of a 16GB external card that I still can't seem to use for Evernote storage.  Have just upgraded to a 32GB card because I could,  but might just use that in my camera instead!

Thanks gazumped!

So fast so good!

You are right asking, but if I'm not wrong, I can choose offline notebooks because I'm not a Premium user... and I can't find out any other function related to the way of handeling Evernote's database... do you know any other option? Thanks!

Francisco

Hi!

I'm a free Evernote user with a Samsung Galaxy S3 (not rooted) and Evernote is eating all the space in the internal memory (sdcard) with the database, what can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Francisco

You don't say whether you've selected your notebooks for Offline Searching on the 'phone.  If you haven't,  the space being used is just temporary storage and you can clear much of it by clearing the cache.  If you have selected your notebook(s) for offline searching -

1. Don't select all your notebook(s) for offline Searching - you'll have no access to most notes without an internet connection
  2. Start a new notebook specifically for notes you want to have access to via the Samsung,  and use that for offline searching. 
  3. Be choosy about what you put in there.

Still no broad solution AFAIK - I have 15GB of a 16GB external card that I still can't seem to use for Evernote storage.  Have just upgraded to a 32GB card because I could,  but might just use that in my camera instead!

Hi!

Thanks in advance.

Francisco

Francisco,

PLEASE tell me how you did this! I too have an S3 (Verizon, rooted) and am using the free version to store only 1/2 MB of miscellaneous but semi-confidential information (license plate numbers, drivers license numbers, frequent flyer numbers, etc). All of my 'stuff' is going to the SD Card on the S3. This is a MAJOR concern to me (and it should be to others) since Evernote on Android JB stores the data as ENGLISH TEXT! So even if you lock your phone (which I do), anyone who gets their hand on the phone can just pop out the SD Card, plug it into a computer and read the information of every saved card!

I have just stopped using it -- deleting it from my phone and manually deleting all the files. I was blown away that the data was just text.

Any way, could you please tell me what version of Evernote you have? I have (had) the newest one that I just downloaded from the Play Store. Maybe the older versions did not force data onto the SD Card.

Thank you.

Frank

Michigan

• Level 5*

@FMinMI: Yes, it's no secret that Evernote stores its notes in ENML format (an XHTML derivative) on some devices -- Android as well as Mac installations, and perhaps others (in Windows, they're in a database, but stll unencrypted). You can take steps to encrypt portions of the text parts of your notes on the desktop clients, and you may be able to find encryption solutions for attachments that work on the platforms that you want to use, but overall, if you're not comfortable with that storage method, Evernote may not be the best product for you.

• Level 5*

@Franciscodr: Sorry - I've been a premium user for a while and tend to forget about other restrictions.. I can think of two options - one is to have another free account,  effectively for the phone;  work in your existing account and share the notes you want to see on the mobile with the other account.  Managing two accounts is going to be a little messy though.  The other is - there are lots of benefits to being premium!

@FMinMI: What Jef said.  Your rooted phone can (apparently) store content on the external card - maybe the security issue is part of why it's not good practice to allow this "officially".  Your phone OS presumably has a setting somewhere that can redirect storage internally,  but if you're not happy with the way your information is stored,  AFAIK there's no way to encrypt it.

Hi!

@FMinMI: you can encrypt all your data with your Samsung Galaxy S3, it is the faster a most secured way: 

samsung-galaxy-s3-encryption.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-make-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-more-secure-50008299/

Oficial information:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050129&fm_seq=55101

but be careful and have another (secured) copy of all your data because there are also related issues due to a high encryption

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/191643-encrypting-device.html

Here you have some useful tips:

http://www.julianevansblog.com/2012/08/samsung-galaxy-s3-android-security-hints-and-tips.html

@gazumped: thank you anyway for your help. I see that the more you use Evernote the more it is interesting to have a Premium acount. I will check it in the next future.

Thanks!

P.S.: I finally solved the problem of Evernote eating up all my device memory doing a hard reset and restoring all my data. Evernote doesn't store information in my device

P.S.2: if you want your Evernote information offline you need a Premium account: https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/2156/Offline-Notebooks-in-Evernote-for-Android even it doesn't state you can choose internal or external memory to store that offline information...  :(

• Level 5*

Where does it let you choose the location????

Hi!

P.S.2: if you want your Evernote information offline you need a Premium account: https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/2156/Offline-Notebooks-in-Evernote-for-Android even it doesn't state you can choose internal or external memory to store that offline information...  :(

Hi @boxall I don't know yet as I don't have a Premium account, maybe someone that has one can tell us ;-)

OK Premium Guy here,  but I thought the point of that link was that the support page only says -

Once you've selected this option, the app will begin downloading all of the notes in that notebook to your device. Be warned, though: if the notebook is large, this will take some time.

If you tap the notebook name,  you see the option to 'sync offline',  and Evernote downloads the database to local storage.  Evernote doesn't give you any options as to which local storage,  beyond the option in Android ~general settings ~applications to move the app "to the SD card" which in Android language still means your internal storage,  not the external card.

Where does it let you choose the location????

Hi!

>Hi @boxall I don't know yet as I don't have a Premium account, maybe someone that has one can tell us ;-)

OK Premium Guy here,  but I thought the point of that link was that the support page only says -

Once you've selected this option, the app will begin downloading all of the notes in that notebook to your device. Be warned, though: if the notebook is large, this will take some time.

If you tap the notebook name,  you see the option to 'sync offline',  and Evernote downloads the database to local storage.  Evernote doesn't give you any options as to which local storage,  beyond the option in Android ~general settings ~applications to move the app "to the SD card" which in Android language still means your internal storage,  not the external card.

Thanks @gazumped

However, I don't know if Premium users can select the external memory for store offline notebooks inside the Evernote app Settings, could you @gazumped check it please? Thanks!

As a premium member I can definitely tell you that Evernote does not allow you to specify the download location.  You are stuck with using whatever space you may have located at /dev/sd....In my case 2GB internal storage.  I have a 32GB  microsd card which is mounted at /dev/sd1 and evernote caqnnot use it.

I have flagged this with the evernote team previously, but to no avail.

garry

• Level 5*

Thanks @garry - that was rather the point of this thread.  There's no 'official' way to allocate external storage (AFAIK) for Evernote. 

Android settings (which apply to both free and prem accounts) allow you to move (some parts of) Evernote to additional device storage,  but NOT the external SD card.  Evernote for Android doesn't have any relevant destination or storage settings.  I've raised this too - still waiting for a result!

The major effects for Android device users are: 

• anyone with a low-memory device may have problems saving a local database for offline access
  • even with a 32GB external card those of us with 'larger' databases will have to split off part of the information into a mobile device notebook and mark only that part of their data for offline access

I'm told there are 'ways' to root the phone and use the external card,  but if Evernote won't support these methods officially -and it appears they can't- I ain't gonna try them.

Yeah..I know.... Just trying to keep the thread alive in the vain hope that they will pick up on it.

But it does seem unlikely given the time they have had to address the issue.  What annoys  me is the fact that to my mind this is not something that would be particularly hard to achieve and that it doesn't even seem to be on their radar,

garry

@Garry: you're right, selectable offline storage must not be an impossible thing to achieve. The developer of the LectureNotes app, Acadoid, allows us to select any location for files without rooting. And he is a one man developer shop, not a team of developers like the EN team.

The use of multiple notebooks as a workaround is becoming increasingly annoying because I have trouble remembering which notebook I used for which info. I need a more systematic approach to choosing notebooks when I save a note so I dont have to think about it each time. Currently, I need to decide in advance whether I might need that note offline later, and I don't always make the right decision upfront. Not a huge problem...just annoying.

• Level 5*

Yeah..I know.... Just trying to keep the thread alive in the vain hope that they will pick up on it.

You don't need to "keep the thread alive" to ensure that Evernote knows about the issue. It's already been read, and I'm sure that it's on a list of feature requests, but hasn't risen to a high enough priority yet, if it's something that they want to do.

It's already been read, and I'm sure that it's on a list of feature requests, but hasn't risen to a high enough priority yet, if it's something that they want to do.

Thats exactly my point.  It obviously hasn't risen to a high enough priority yet.

So by highlighting the issue at any every opportunity to any possible future Premium member they may come to see that this issue is costing them through lost revenues, bad publicity and is not going to go away on its own. Surely you are not suggesting that Fransciscodr's request for information from a Premium member remain unanswered?

• Level 5*

Thats exactly my point.  It obviously hasn't risen to a high enough priority yet.

And it may never do so. Evernote typically doesn't reveal their feature roadmaps to us, so I usually keep my expectations down.

So by highlighting the issue at any every opportunity to any possible future Premium member they may come to see that this issue is costing them through lost revenues, bad publicity and is not going to go away on its own. Surely you are not suggesting that Fransciscodr's request for information from a Premium member remain unanswered?

I said nothing about Fransciscodr's request. Any premium user who wants is free to respond. As it happens, there is no setting for external memory storage for premium account users.

What I'm suggesting is that when people post just to "bump", or "keep the thread alive", or "+1", it may not have much effect overall. Customer feedback is important, but the forum is only one source of that (support requests and other sources also contribute), and even so, user feedback is only one factor in any prioritization that takes place, other factors being cost to implement and support a feature, relative to other desired features. We don't generally have much insight into the cost to implement side of things, and we usually don't know what other features are in competition for prioritization. So the best we who are on the outside can say is that Evernote knows about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I think we mentioned already that media files (apparently in Android only media files) can be stored on an external SD card. I don't know what BeyondPod stores, but I'd suspect it falls into that category.  As to whether or not it would be hard to add this functionality into Evernote,  I can only assume that if it were that easy,  they would have done it already.

• 3 weeks later...

Below is the reason why the SD card is read-only to most apps:

"

Memory card slot

In some products you may find both a large internal memory and a memory card reader
slot. However, on the current Android platform, the card reader slot does not work in the same manner in a phone with large internal memory,
as in a phone with ONLY a memory card slot.

Generally, since most applications expect only a single location of storage, such applications will not generally allow you to SAVE anything to the card (i.e. they will lack an option to choose storage location); however, some applications (for instance, the Sony Mobile “Camera” application) may
actually allow you to do so. Other, for example backup applications such as the Sony Mobile memory” application, will by definition be configured to copy content from the Internal Storage to the external SD card.
On the other hand, when it comes to READING from an external SD Card, you will be able access content (videos, photos, music) on a memory
card inserted in this slot without any special considerations since the Android system searches all available memory for content. Therefore, such products may be regarded as supporting a fourth type of memory, called “External Card”.

SD Card (known as “/ext_card” from a programmer’s point of view, or by other names in other Android products)
is the name for the removable SD memory card in all 2013 Sony Mobile products.
As described above, this External Card memory is generally more limited in that any application can READ from it, but many applications
cannot SAVE to this card. Only a few applications, including back-up applications and file manger applications, has the capability to save
to this card.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

Got a LG Optimus L9 phone this weekend. I added a 16 GB micro SD.

Is there a way to store the Evernote database (titles) on the micro SD?

My Evernote has 25,000 note and the entire 1+ GB of titles is stored on the phone. Not much space left. The micro SD is virtually empty.

Thank you

• Level 5*

Been there,  done that;  got a t-shirt (and a similarly empty SD card).  An Evernote dev did tell me there's "no way" to save the database into 'external' SD storage. 

Heather hinted a while ago that if you're willing to root your phone some alternatives may be available.. but I don't want to root my phone and I couldn't find any fixes -even for rooted phones- anyway so I gave up...

• Level 5

Thanks Gaz.

Jail-breaking my phone and destroying my warranty is simply out of the question for me and thousands of other users. Evernote users with a few notes might get by, but the Evernote power users with micro SD expansion cards are screwed.

I contacted Support for similar assistance.

They supplied a very cryptic answer to uninstall and re-install. Really? I think it was one of those boiler plate answers.

I prefer your more open and honest answer. I have deleted Evernote from my new smartphone. Thanks again for your assistance.

• Level 5*

I don't care to jailbreak/root my Android phone (life's too short, as far as I am concerned), but I still find Evernote useful without needing any external storage. I don't need all of my notes all the time, so I keep my offline notebooks curated with what I do need.

• Level 5*

Interestingly I just got involved with beating up Kingston (makers of my 32GB min-SD) and Samsung (re the Galaxy S3) over a related issue.  I suddenly realised I couldn't move any of my apps to this new card and wondered if the card itself was faulty...

Kingston (bless) don't seem to have actually understood my question;  but the Samsung guys - who despite a stone-age support requesting process seem quite good (I think they make it hard on purpose!) said this:

In regards to your email, please note that moving or installing apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices. The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space on a 16GB device for apps. Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or installing apps directly onto the external memory card. You will have to install your apps to the internal memory, but anything else (music, videos, documents etc.) can be stored on your external memory card.

So:  Dear Evernote - what I'd like for Christmas (please) is for all my documents to be stored on the external memory card.  If that only works for ICS on - I'm happy with that!  It looks like my note cache is stored on the SD card anyway.  Why can't Evernote be like a media player and store a database there?

(Meantime I'll keep my mobile notebook filled with a subset of my main notes and just use the phone for data acquisition and mobile lookups!)

@JB2 - I do recommend you keep Evernote on the phone - I find it insanely useful for quick pictures / scans and adding notes - you just need to keep that 'offline access' thing switched off!

• Level 5

@JB2 - I do recommend you keep Evernote on the phone - I find it insanely useful for quick pictures / scans and adding notes - you just need to keep that 'offline access' thing switched off!

Thanks, but putting Evernote on my phone is a non-starter.

Even though I have zero off-line notebooks, my 24,000 note titles are consuming over half of the phone's basic memory storage.

I'll use FastEver to move my iPod Touch generated notes to the desk-bound Evernote. And I'll use the smartphone to access Google Drive to see the info I need while on the road.

• Level 5*

Thanks, but putting Evernote on my phone is a non-starter.

Even though I have zero off-line notebooks, my 24,000 note titles are consuming over half of the phone's basic memory storage.

I'll use FastEver to move my iPod Touch generated notes to the desk-bound Evernote. And I'll use the smartphone to access Google Drive to see the info I need while on the road.

Well I think our unofficial motto is "Whatever works..."

I've griped at Kingston and Samsung about how Android may not be my OS of future choice unless there's some movement on this external storage thing - maybe I can start a campaign!

;)

.....well....I HAVE rooted my phone...and I would LIKE to know how/where to make a symlink on my sdcard to have all the evernote goodness .... not taking up my entire.......500mb I have left on my phone.... (grrr touchwiz)

I cant find where offline notebooks are stored. I dont see anything in data/data/com.evernote . am I looking in the right place

• Level 5*

I'm afraid we're all too boring to know how to do this.  Seems to me that Evernote used to offer an option to "move to SD card", and (I think) what was moved was the database.  However that option no longer appears and there's no option (that I can see) to find or move the database (- though my camera app quite happily says it will save my pics on the SD card, and does exactly that. So why can't Evernote do the same thing?)

Your rooting support network must have some information on moving apps and such - can you move the whole Elephant?

• Level 5

I'm not rooted, and I can store some other app data on the external micro SD card. 

For example, I use the BeyondPod app and I am able to store dozens of hour-long pod casts on the external micro SD card.

But Evernote will not permit similar use.

The entire Evernote enchilada has to be squeezed into the limited main internal storage area.

From what I have been told, you can *only* store pics and sound files (music, podcasts) on the SD card, no matter what, rooted or not. It's in the nature of Android itself. So it' not going to be possible to store Evernote notes (SQLite DB?) on the SD card. Yeah, sucks, I know. Still, if you make sure your music and pics *are* going to your SD card, and you don't have too many apps installed, you should be able to make EN work on your Android phone. 

if you know a little unix command line. it is possible....if I could find where the data is expected to be.  we can use whats called a symlink to add a virtual folder in the internal memory which is actually located on the external sd card. 

so in fact...IF rooted the statement above is completely false. (possibly not optimal .... yes...but not impossible)

as a premium subscriber...i want to have the use of my OFFLINE folders......

• Level 5*

if you know a little unix command line. it is possible....if I could find where the data is expected to be.  we can use whats called a symlink to add a virtual folder in the internal memory which is actually located on the external sd card. 

so in fact...IF rooted the statement above is completely false. (possibly not optimal .... yes...but not impossible)

as a premium subscriber...i want to have the use of my OFFLINE folders......

Minor point, maybe -- premium subscribers already *do* have the use of their offline notebooks, what they do not have is the ability to store their offline notebooks on their SD card. Not sure that Evernote's all that keen on supporting an option that's only available on rooted devices, if that's actually the case. I haven't had much need or desire to have my whole notes database available on my phone --  a lot of it is software development documents, which are far more readable/usable on a desktop/laptop than my phone...

• Level 5*

There's a serious laziness factor involved here - plus the random serendipity of having your whole database available.  I've done the "separate mobile notebook" route so I have to remember to transfer stuff to which I need mobile access into that notebook before the need arises.  Not a huge biggie,  but occasionally frustrating when I know I have some information on a topic,  but it's not in the right notebook for me to access it when away from network access;  and it also insulates me from the occasional Eureka! moment when a search for something fairly mundane turns up an old note for something I'd quite forgotten I had...

Besides.  My phone now has more storage than I had access to on any of my desktop computers more than a few years ago.  It can certainly afford to save data that I only use once every 10 years if I need it to.  This is an issue that will affect every Evernote user with a lot of notes,  and those who save bog media files.  Sooner or later,  your data won't "be available from any platform,  anywhere" - unless you remember to package it in a special way (ie a bespoke notebook) so your phone can download it.

I think we need the facility,  even if users (and EA's) like @jefito don't especially want to use it for a sector of their notes.

(And jef - the argument isn't that this facility is needed on rooted phones:  the problem is that the only way to have access at the moment is to own -and take some pains with- such a beast.  It would be so much easier if Evernote - like any Media player - used a data file (your offline notebook) that was stored on the external SD card!)

-Oh: and it means even those with phones that are a little short on storage space (my wife has one that can download about 4 games before it's full) could download an offline notebook!

... premium subscribers already *do* have the use of their offline notebooks, what they do not have is the ability to store their offline notebooks on their SD card. ...

i think I just figured it out. I will edit this with information on HOW to do this IF YOU ARE rooted. and want to get a little bit dirty. 

but what im going to do is

1. create a virtual folder that, to evernote.apk looks like a standard folder on the primary storage. 
  2. copy the folder "notes" located (this is a GS4 file structure....) /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.evernote/files/user-######/ 
  3. paste the "notes" folder to a folder I created on the (actual) SD card. I chose /storage/extSdCard/.evernote/
  4. using romtoolbox's Root Browser I brows to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.evernote/files/user-######/ and delete the existing "notes" folder
  5. then create the symlink
  • Level 5*

There's a serious laziness factor involved here - plus the random serendipity of having your whole database available.  I've done the "separate mobile notebook" route so I have to remember to transfer stuff to which I need mobile access into that notebook before the need arises.  Not a huge biggie,  but occasionally frustrating when I know I have some information on a topic,  but it's not in the right notebook for me to access it when away from network access;  and it also insulates me from the occasional Eureka! moment when a search for something fairly mundane turns up an old note for something I'd quite forgotten I had...

Besides.  My phone now has more storage than I had access to on any of my desktop computers more than a few years ago.  It can certainly afford to save data that I only use once every 10 years if I need it to.  This is an issue that will affect every Evernote user with a lot of notes,  and those who save bog media files.  Sooner or later,  your data won't "be available from any platform,  anywhere" - unless you remember to package it in a special way (ie a bespoke notebook) so your phone can download it.

I think we need the facility,  even if users (and EA's) like @jefito don't especially want to use it for a sector of their notes.

(And jef - the argument isn't that this facility is needed on rooted phones:  the problem is that the only way to have access at the moment is to own -and take some pains with- such a beast.  It would be so much easier if Evernote - like any Media player - used a data file (your offline notebook) that was stored on the external SD card!)

-Oh: and it means even those with phones that are a little short on storage space (my wife has one that can download about 4 games before it's full) could download an offline notebook!

Yes, but... we don't even have external storage on iPhones / iPads, so we've had to deal with storage constraints in the iverse for a while now. It would be nice if I could use external storage on my Android phone (Galaxy III), but to be honest, I am kind of used to not having it available :)

I would be interested to know if this is a problem that Evernote can solve (assuming that notes could be saved offline onto the SD card) or if it is a problem that only Google can solve (assuming that they have made the OS incapable of allowing it). I think rooting sounds fun and all, but with other more enjoyable things to do in my life, I doubt I will bother with it. At some point, the return on investment just isn't worth the effort!

• Level 5
I would be interested to know if this is a problem that Evernote can solve (assuming that notes could be saved offline onto the SD card) or if it is a problem that only Google can solve (assuming that they have made the OS incapable of allowing it).

I doubt that Evernote will be forthright enough to discuss this issue in detail. It is frustrating to realize that dozens of my hour-long podcasts as well as hundreds of music files can be stored in the external micro-SD card easily, but not a single Evernote note. Certainly seems to be an Evernote related issue.

Evernote has a dream to be a 100 year company and their multi-media software will store a lifetime of memories.

As users store more data, this problem will become more and more objectionable.

Personally, I don't care about off-line material - I'll let the network download it when needed. What concerns me is how much space is consumed by just the titles for my Evernote notes on my smart phone.

its just realy annoying when I have 64gb card that is barley used and a internal storage that keeps getting maxed out when I enable cashing. ..... I WANT TO HAVE offline access....I use evernote for camping stuff...so I need to have some of the stuff offline....thats the reason im premium.......not exactly worth it. if I cant download to the sd card

• 1 month later...

This post is one and half month old but still relevant because the issue is not settled.

I was on the fence between OneNote and EverNote and finally decided to move to EverNote, and upgraded to Premium for the offline storage. I enquired EverNote for the storage usage and I got this answer along with quite detail what goes where. I cut out the summary below.

Android handsets typically offer two places where application data can be stored: the device's internal storage and an option SD card.

Note Metadata/Headers - This headers (metadata) information goes into an internal data store, which Android always stores within the internal storage on the phone.

Note Body/Contents/Attachments - The body/contents of the note is stored on the SD card instead, in the "Evernote" folder on your card.

Android Application Code - The bits for our application itself (i.e. the compiled code) can reside on either internal memory or on the SD Card if you move it there.

I think it is outdated and wrong information.

For those who wants to try the UNIX magic, here is some information you may need.

On Galaxy S2, the internal storage is /mnt/usb and SD card is /mnt/sdcard. On Galaxy S3 (and/or new Android models), internal storage is /storage/sdcard0 (/mnt/sdcard) and the SD card is /storage/extSdCard (/mnt/extSdCard).

The files are stored here. Other type of file attachment may go somewhere else.

/mnt/sdcard/Android/dta/com.evernote

/mnt/sdcard/Pictures/EVERNOTE

This symlink may work. If anyone tried, I hope to hear the result.

/mnt/sdcard/Android/dta/com.evernote -> /mnt/extSdCard/Evernote

/mnt/sdcard/Pictures/EVERNOTE -> /mnt/extSdCard/EvernotePictures

-- dj

• Level 5*

I'm certainly still interested in anything that would allow my non-rooted vanilla phone to download something into the yawning 20+GB gap that is my SD card.  I currently have a lot of music and audio books and if I never went out again I'd be amused for the next 365 days solid.  However.  I cannot download any substantial part of my database (which was the reason I bought the darn card in the first place) because directly or indirectly it's impossible to make enough space in the main storage area on the phone,  and even a 'move to SD' app now tells me my phone "doesn't have a valid SD card".  (That's a Google 'improvement' I believe..)

I tend to be philosophical about feature requests in general (and have annoyed other contributors because of that) on the basis that 1) if it's a good idea,  the Evernote team will want to implement it, because they use the product too;  and 2) if it's less easy or more expensive to set up,  it'll still get scheduled somewhere down the line,  and the ongoing improvements we see will eventually include it.  So my attitude is pretty much "make your point politely and move on".

But in this case being able to carry around a big chunk of data is kinda fundamental to better mobile access.  Couldn't we get this soon?  Eh?  Guys?...

Archived