(Archived) Feature Request - Save and Save&Close

tagustinus

Frankly I am not sure if Evernote android do auto-save. I took note during my group meeting and sermon. They are a lot of pause in between (and I could switch to another apps) I just want to make sure I will not lost my note. Currently there is only save button and that will close note straight away. If we can have another button just to save without closing the note that will be great. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I would definitely like to have this plain save feature too. Evernote is great application otherwise but this Save&Close behaviour is reason why I am looking for alternative applications. Because save closes note automatically and forces me to reopen it to continue editing note I have avoided to save my changes until I completely finish working with note. I have several times used other application and forget to press save in Evernote before leaving Evernote to running background. And when Android decides to close background application I have several times lost my updates to notes because Evernote does not seem to save unsaved changes when it will be closed. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered another reason why an AutoSave feature is necessary.

In the Android Market app, I set the Evernote app to update automatically. An update for Evernote was downloaded and installed while I was writing a new note. Evernote flashed and reloaded the new version without any confirmation from me, I was back at Evernote's homescreen, and the note I was writing disappeared. I noticed in the Android notification bar that Evernote had been updated. Notes for the meeting I was in: *poof* no trace of them. :(

This is on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Another call for save without close or autosave....I am frequently writing notes, then go to a web page, then back, sometimes my last notes are lost. If I do hit save it means several clicks to get back to my note writing (open note, hit edit, back to the spot I was editing). I need save without impact my workflow so drastically! Boy this and ability to indent more than one level would go so far to making evernote a usable mobile note taking application....

• 2 months later...

Based on the previous responses, this sounds like Evernote on Android is rather broken. Android activities (that don't want to lose user data) are *required* to save all data when onPause() is called because when the activity is not displayed, Android can kill it at any time without any warning. You can't rely on onSaveInstanceState() being called either.

This is basic android life cycles, and documented in the android programming tutorial. See http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/notepad/notepad-ex3.html step 7. Also see http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals/activities.html#Lifecycle for more information on life cycles.

The minimal solution is to make sure everything is saved when onPause() is called.

For better solutions, in addition to onPause(), (1) have it autosave at regular intervals (should be configurable) while the activity is in the foreground and (2) have a save button that doesn't exit for "save everything now".

In addition to what I said in the previous message, note that the current activity could go into the background without warning (e.g. incoming phone call) and can be killed and restarted without the user being aware of it (e.g. changing screen orientation). Fortunately this last case does seem to be handled correctly.

I would hope this update includes save when onPause() is called. This is the *only* way to guarantee no data will be lost when the activity is moved to the background (e.g. incoming phone call or program update) and is basic Android programming practice with the Android life cycle model.

The save button will help, but the user can't always push the save button before the application is moved to the background (e.g. incoming phone call), and once it is in the background, Android can kill it at any time to free up memory without any notice.

Brian May

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far looking pretty good.

One thing that has me somewhat puzzled though. For most of my notes, I have two buttons, one for "save without exit" and one for "save and exit" (labelled done). I like this.

However, for one of my notes, I only get one button, a button labelled "done". If I click this button without making any changes, nothing happens. There are some other weird things about this note on Android too. Looks fine on the web interface however.

Thanks

Brian May

So far looking pretty good.

One thing that has me somewhat puzzled though. For most of my notes, I have two buttons, one for "save without exit" and one for "save and exit" (labelled done). I like this.

However, for one of my notes, I only get one button, a button labelled "done". If I click this button without making any changes, nothing happens. There are some other weird things about this note on Android too. Looks fine on the web interface however.

Thanks

Brian May

A possible thing to do to make it an all in one button is to tap to save and close, tap and hold for a few hundren milliseconds to save and not close.

Just a thought to eliminate a button, since it might bother some people.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it the way it is. I think it looks like my criticisms have been nicely addressed. Thanks for this.

I find it a bit weird that the edit interface for one of my notes is somewhat different. However, maybe this is a different issue...

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived