(Archived) Searching for phrases in Evernote

scotty321

Idea

Hi there,

There is a problem with searching notes in Evernote.

Unlike every other Mac application, Evernote does NOT let us search for PHRASES. Typically on the Mac, you can search for a PHRASE by putting the phrase in "quotation marks". But Evernote doesn't support this.

So, for example, if I tell Evernote to search for the phrase "green light" (by putting it in quotation marks), Evernote will find EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE of the word "green" and EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE of the word "light". Evernote shouldn't be doing that... Evernote should respect that I typed the phrase in quotation marks, and it should ONLY return the results that match the actual phrase "green light".

This is how all other Mac applications work, including Apple Mail, iTunes, Spotlight, Address Book, etc. etc. etc.

Can you please fix Evernote to support this?

Thanks,

Scott

19 replies to this idea

Spotlight is my friend here.

I have an expansion in Typinator so when I type evp , Typinator types evernote "" and puts the cursor between the "_".

So to find a phrase in Evernote , I envoke spotlight, I type evp THE PHRASE . I then scroll down the list of choices in Spotlight, select the one i want and press Enter to open the Evernote Note in Evernote - works for me until Evernote adds this 'feature" - I've given up waiting because it has been years since this "bug" was first reported.

A workaround is to make a single word out of the phrase you expect to be searching for in the future - so "often searched for phrase" becomes oftensearchedforphrase - which is stupid of course but ...

• Level 5*

Can you post your ticket number? I've had some discussions with them about how crappy it seems from a user's point of view to close a ticket that obviously isn't resolved.

With regards to the bug, I'm sure it will get fixed pretty soon, but you are always welcome to find a better solution for your needs.

I opened my own support ticket for the same kind of search issues on 8/19. After numerous emails back/forth w/support, trying this & that there was still no resolution.

The 2nd to the last email I received from them said:

"I am sorry for the continued inconvenience. I will file a bug with our Engineering Team. If we have any questions, we will be in contact with you. Once again, sorry for any inconvenience this has caused."

Then, the last email I received on 8/26 said:

"It has been one week since our last interaction, so we are closing out this support ticket. Should you have any other requests for support, suggestions or questions please feel free to open a new support ticket."

I replied, saying the issue was still not resolved, and please don't close the ticket, what else can be done to resolve this?

My reply was sent 3 days ago and was not responded to.

If I can't search the oodles of notes I have in Evernote reliably & efficiently, what good does it do me?

I'm a premium user, running Windows 7. A very frustrated premium user thinking about switching to something else and not renewing.

• Level 5

Bummer!

Search is Evernote's life blood.

I guess that's why they released it as a Beta so the QA group (users) could catch it. B)

I'd like to revert back to the general release.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, the standard not very helpful response....

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product,

• Level 5*

I'm on the latest Beta.

and I've just managed to reproduce what you said - looks like there is an issue with searching.

Are you going to open a support case? If not, I will.

I think Evernote only returns the notes that contain the phrase you are searching for. However, in those notes it does highlight every instance of each individual word, as well as the whole phrases. Obviously one expects to only see the phrases highlighted.

Archived