(Archived) How are all of you entering your note text (content)?

roschler

I just got started with Evernote/Android. I've been doing Evernote Web+Windows for several weeks now and already have a large assortment of Notebooks, Tags, and Notes (I'm a voracious web clipper). I'm also one of those people that go a little crazy when I have to type on anything other than a full size PC keyboard (makes me nuts) :shock: . However I am aware that some people are absolute wizards with their thumbs and a phone touch keypad.

So here are some questions for my fellow Android/Evernoters out there:

• [*:1syxj1b6]Are you banging out your notes using the phone's keyboard?
    [*:1syxj1b6]How efficient are you at that and do you enjoy it?
    [*:1syxj1b6]Any shortcuts or tips you have found to make it easier?
    [*:1syxj1b6]The wildcard question. Is anybody using the Android's speech reco to speed things along?

-- roschler

I'm entering text using SlideIT - it's one of those keyboards where you can slide your finger around the keyboard without lifting it up and the software tries to second guess your word. Works for me and makes my android much more enjoyable to use. Worth every penny.

[*]Are you banging out your notes using the phone's keyboard?

[*]How efficient are you at that and do you enjoy it?

[*]Any shortcuts or tips you have found to make it easier?

[*]The wildcard question. Is anybody using the Android's speech reco to speed things along?

-- roschler

I am using Swiftkey X on my Droid X phone. A remarkable program that eases the text input problem for me. Interesting use of artificial intelligence technology to predict words. That actually works. Not as fast as a full-sized keyboard, certainly. But more useful for me than some of the other keyboard systems.

Bob

I hate not using a full sized key board. I use "Swype" on my phone for short things, but if I don't have my laptop and it's between taking full notes on my phone or writing on paper and scaning/photographing into Evernote, I'd take the handwritten notes.

I'm the fastest when I type on a real keyboard, but I can Swype faster than I can write by hand. I'm using the latest beta version of Swype 3.6.

Works really well for me.

(I also have SlideIT, but the little things on Swype makes it so much easier to use - like the ability to switch the capitalization of an entered word. SlideIT definitely has some great features, but I don't think it's up to par with Swype yet - even with it's latest version 4 update.)

From my experience it still take a bit time learning how to swype (checking the tutorial could also give you some useful tips), after that while you can type moderately fast.

I found we don't really have to 100% precise swyping our finger across all characters, it's pretty good predicting a word. And able to mentally map/visualizing where all characters are could help (well if you use computer or full keyboard phone quite often, pretty much you know where they are ;)).

Since, as roschler said, this is leading to a assisted keyboard input roundup review (and the best I have found); I'll take the liberty to ask:

Q) Any thoughts on the use SlideIT & Swype apps vs smart phones w/ a slide--out keyboard, or a Blackberry? For typing text into EN, or Word, using a smart phone? I’m deciding whether to get a smart phone. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the use SlideIT & Swype apps vs smart phones w/ a slide--out keyboard, or a Blackberry? For typing text into EN, or Word, using a smart phone? I’m deciding whether to get a smart phone.

IMO, Swype beats any slide-out keyboard hands down. The only thing better than the Swype keyboard is a physical keyboard that you can touch-type on.

Thumb Keyboard is the default keyboard my Dell Streak 5. Awesome. Love it. I'm able to type very fast, but not as fast as a physical keyboard which is why I have a BT foldup keyboard and a BT mouse that I use often. Makes the Streak feel like a desktop!

Archived