(Archived) YIKES!!! Need some advice for deleted tags

Ok, I wasn't paying enough attention and deleted one tag that had a bunch of subtags. When you do that, the subtags go with it and you can't reverse it. Had I read more clearly, I'd have seen that. Now.....

My PC database sync'd with the server before I could stop it. So online - the tags are gone as well. However, I'm a premium user and have everything set for offline access. Both my iPad and iPhone have databases close enough to current that if I can revert to them I'll be fine. The question is - how to get the WEB version to be overwritten by the LOCAL version? Can that even be done for an existing account?

I've logged out of EN on my iPhone and will do the same when I get to my iPad (shut off 3g/Wifi, open EN (no access to web now), logout), so when I open EN it won't sync and lose the 'correct' offline database. Beyond creating another account and syncin'g to that, and losing the old one does anyone know of a way to get me out of this dilemma?

*****. This was a pretty relaxed Saturday...... :D

• Level 5

Evernote's warning that required a second step to confirm you really, really want to delete it is posted below.

I believe you could restore your tags if you you backed up your .exb (Evernote Windows database) recently. I back it up daily. There are some instructions on how to restore the .exb in this forum, or you can wait until Monday and contact support for assistance.

• Level 5
I'm quite aware of the warning. As I said - I wasn't paying attention.

Yes, you did say that. I posted the image so that other users on the Forum would realize there are some safeguards that are built into Evernote.

Besides my other suggestions to back up the Evernote database, I would suggest not clicking on the option in the Evernote pop-up warning that says "Do not show this message again, always delete".

• 6 months later...

Besides my other suggestions to back up the Evernote database, I would suggest not clicking on the option in the Evernote pop-up warning that says "Do not show this message again, always delete".

I just had a bad accident with this as well. And my backup doesn't help me because I made so many other changes today throughout my DB.

I disabled the warning earlier on, when I just started using EN. Does anybody know if it can be enabled again, short of reinstalling? It doesn't seem to be possible through the normal options...

Here's a suggestion for you:

How many tags are we talking about?

On your iPad, select all of the notes that have one of the deleted tags. Tag them all with a new tag, call it "DELETEDTAGNAMEoopsy" or something. Then sync. It should remove the old tags and leave you with the new set of identical "oopsy" tags, which you can then rename.

One other possibility:

EDIT: I just tested the below method and it DOES NOT work - at least with the Windows client. Tags must have an internal identifier so that when you rename it, internally it is still the same tag.

EverNote probably has to answer this one:

What happens if you rename all of the deleted tags by adding "oopsy" to the end of each one? When you sync, will EverNote treat those as new tags and add them to the database, or treat them as the same old tags and delete them?

I'm GUESSING that EN would treat the renamed tags as new tags, but DO NOT RELY ON THIS ASSUMPTION!

I'm quite aware of the warning. As I said - I wasn't paying attention.

I know how you feel. I entered data into a PDP minicomputer, and then pushed the wrong key and deleted it all. I'm talking about 3 hours of entering numbers. I entered the data again, and then pushed that damned key and deleted it all again. I think I taped a cup over that stupid key before I entered the data for the third time.
  • Level 5*

Bet not many here know what a PDP minicomputer is; my first class in programming, in high school, was on a PDP-8, with paper tape, using Basic, but that was ages ago. Sounds like you didn't even have paper tape...

Bet not many here know what a PDP minicomputer is; my first class in programming, in high school, was on a PDP-8, with paper tape, using Basic, but that was ages ago. Sounds like you didn't even have paper tape...

Keyboard and CRT. First computer I programmed was an IBM 7094 - It had tape drives and a card-reader. You haven't lived until you've seen a mainframe do a sort of 50,000 records on tape drives.

I also programmed the operant conditioning boxes for teaching chimpanzees language at the Yerkes Primate Institute. Called the "Lana Project" for one of the chimps. That was on an Interdata mini computer in FORTRAN.

http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwlrc/3476.html

The first program I ever wrote was on an IBM PCjr. My father had bought it for me, I was so excited I just wanted to get started. I wrote and wrote and wrote - for HOURs - like a thousand lines of code (which is a lot for a 7 year old), and then when I went to save, the computer gave me an error saying something along the lines of "must insert BASIC cartridge". So, I inserted the cartridge, and the computer rebooted.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Never made THAT mistake again.

Per the OP's request - unfortunately, what you see on Evernote Web will always overwrite what you have on your local versions.Your only hope is to export them to .enex format, then upload the "new" notes to the server, with your original tags. You'll lose the subtag structure, but the tags themselves will come back, and you could drag them back in. jbenson2 linked to an example of how to do this. Unfortunately again, you cannot do this from an IOS client, only Windows or Mac.

Tags must have an internal identifier so that when you rename it, internally it is still the same tag.

Yes. Because if I realized my tag was "Wok notes", I wouldn't want to have to retag all the notes when I realized the tag should be "Work notes".

• Level 5*
I posted the image so that other users on the Forum would realize there are some safeguards that are built into Evernote.

Since the image you posted (which I don't see) was for EN Win, I thought I would post the Delete Tag Confirmation for EN Mac.

I don't see any options or settings in EN Mac to NOT show this confirmation.

Tag_Delete_EN_Mac_3.0.6.gif

Archived