Can Evernote be integrated with Windows 7 desktop search

Hi, I search for a lot of things on my Windows 7 computer by presing the window key and just typing what I am looking for. Most things will pop up in the quick search list including my OneNote notes that apply. Evernote however is missing from this list. I would really like it if there was the ability to have Evernote search results in the Windows 7 quick search box and when you clicked on a result it brings you into your Evernote application and has the correct note selected. This would really improve my productivity as I could do all my desktop searching from one place.

Thanks

• Level 5

This has been suggested many many times before. EN seems either decidedly uninterested in implementing it (seems like it would be quite trivial now that EN has direct inward URI linking capability) or they are just deciding not to comment on it. I think it's quite unfair since Mac users have unified search capability via Spotlight. Anyway, head on over to http://evernotevote.com and vote for "IFilter support to allow integrated searching of EN from Windows Desktop Search (start menu)"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I stumbled onto a little-known feature of Windows 7 called Federated Search. Basically it allows users to create "plugins" that integrate search results from web services into the Windows 7 Search bar. There are examples on these pages for Flickr, Youtube, Digg, Yahoo, etc. The thought occurred to me that if EN refuses to create a proper IFilter plugin to allow Windows users to search their local EN data via Windows Search, then at least maybe they could release one of these .osdx plugins to allow the WebService to be searched, returning evernote:// links that link back to the local notes. This is a little Kludgy but it could work. The two caveats would be:

1) authentication (not sure Federated Search supports the type of Auth that EN requires)

2) local notebooks would not be searched, since results would be coming from the EN web service

Here are some links with more detail on Federated Search:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/74 ... iders.html

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 55(v=vs.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 99(v=vs.85).aspx

http://www.ampercent.com/federated-sear ... ws-7/7150/

I briefly glanced at the Evernote API but I admit that I couldn't really determine if this would be possible. Is this another non-starter?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too vote for having Evernote integrated with Windows 7 desktop search. Not having this kind of integration makes the product less than useful/flexible. I've been contemplating upgrading to the premium/paid version, but I won't unless/until I can search with Win 7 search and have Evernote "hits" included in the results.

I hope this wil never happen or you can do this selecive by notebooks or make it as an option.

The reason:

In Evernote it is not really possible to separate private from business notes. The only thing you can do: Make two different notebooks (or stacks), one for private and one for buisiness use (offline-notebooks are not an option because the lack of sync).

Embedding the whole evernote-search in the windows-search would mean the following: When I enter a search-string into the windows search-field on my business-computer I woud get a list that also contains my private notes. And this would immediately force me to stop using evernote on my business-devices and therefore I would have to give up evernote. The separation of private and business notes/notebooks is critical enough at this time and a fully included windows-search would make this separation completely impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this wil never happen or you can do this selecive by notebooks or make it as an option.

Windows Search has indeed improved finding information. I vote for an iFilter for Evernote and I would think that an option check box on the properties of a notebook could be used to include or not include indexing a particular notebook and this checkbox would stored in a local profile (not synced).

I am running Onenote and Evernote side by side and the Windows search is one (but not the only one) of the reasons I am keeping Onenote.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gotta have this. I feel disappointed that it is not available, because it is too slow for me to open up Evernote and perform a search. Such a feature should be turned off by default for security purposes, but it should be present nevertheless.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Yes. It is extremely important to have this feature.

The only help at the moment is : transfer to OneNote.

OneNote search is perfectly integrated in the Windows Desktop search.

I think of switching to OneNote for this feature. By the way OneNote has also free OCR search feature, which is an Evernote Premium Feature.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived