(Archived) FEATURE REQUEST: Gaining 'back' storage space

Seems to me that if I were to edit my notes and clean out my default folder and do some Evernote housecleaning and empty the trash, I should be able to "gain" back some storage space, like emptying the trash on a computer's desktop.

Help me understand why we don't get space back when we empty the EN trash.

I did a search on this subject and one of the answers was that EN "assumes" you may want to retrieve a note from the trash... fine, but if I empty the trash — I can no longer retrieve that note —, that doesn't seem to matter to my overall allowance? How is that? I'm not a super user to justify a premium account, but it seems kind of a bush way to force the issue.

Don't get me wrong, this is the first time I've ever gotten this close to my monthly allotment, and I LOVE Evernote, but part of Evernote's greatness is the ability to keep my stuff organized. Why do we 'pay' for storage we really aren't using when we clean house and empty the trash?

thanks!

• Level 5

You are confusing storage with the monthly upload.

Each Evernote account is allowed to upload a certain amount of data to Evernote on the web every month. Free accounts have a 60 megabyte (MB) upload allowance and Premium accounts get 1024MB. This number is often misunderstood as representing additional storage added to an account each month, but it actually represents the amount of data you're allowed to upload to Evernote via synchronization. For example, if you create a note containing a 5MB PDF file and that note is synchronized to Evernote on the web, that will account for 5MB of your monthly upload allowance even if you delete the note later.

If a note exists in a local notebook (which aren't synchronized), data added to this note will not count against your upload allowance.

You are confusing storage with the monthly upload.

Each Evernote account is allowed to upload a certain amount of data to Evernote on the web every month. Free accounts have a 60 megabyte (MB) upload allowance and Premium accounts get 1024MB. This number is often misunderstood as representing additional storage added to an account each month, but it actually represents the amount of data you're allowed to upload to Evernote via synchronization. For example, if you create a note containing a 5MB PDF file and that note is synchronized to Evernote on the web, that will account for 5MB of your monthly upload allowance even if you delete the note later.

If a note exists in a local notebook (which aren't synchronized), data added to this note will not count against your upload allowance.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of it that way. That said, if I delete said 5MB pdf, I should hope to get that 5MB discounted off my data upload number. That's my feature request and I'm stickin' to it. :(

• Level 5

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of it that way. That said, if I delete said 5MB pdf, I should hope to get that 5MB discounted off my data upload number. That's my feature request and I'm stickin' to it. :(

You're welcome.

But why would you expect Evernote to give you a credit for your original 5MB upload (that you delete down the road sometime)?

if I delete said 5MB pdf, I should hope to get that 5MB discounted off my data upload number. That's my feature request and I'm stickin' to it. :(

That goes against EN's approach, which differs from something like Dropbox. Unlike Dropbox, EN doesn't limit what you ultimately have in their cloud. Potentially, someone could use Evernote for free for years & end up with 12 gb of data in their account. EN wants to be a receptacle for your memories/documents/items for years to come. That's why EN uses an upload limit & why you don't gain back space when/if you delete notes. OTOH, if you want 12 gb in Dropbox, you're going to have to fork over some money ($10/month or $100/year is today's cost) for that.

• Level 5*

I understand the feeling, but the monthly limit is (I assume) to make sure we-all don't overload the servers by uploading too much at one time. Logically, although you did upload your hypothetical 5MB PDF, and you have now cleared it off the servers, you "used up" that part of your monthly download limit days weeks or months ago when you initially uploaded it. Although you have freed a little storage space it wouldn't be practical to give you the extra space on your monthly download because then we'd all be entitled, and sometime, somewhere there would be a meltdown... I'd rather keep the servers reasonably responsive and plan my downloads. The limit has never been a serious problem for me, and I'm converting a garage full of busy past life into a much more easily portable archive. If you do get close, just store not-urgent stuff offline and use it to top up your account to the limit on the last day of your cycle.

Archived