(Archived) Evernote for Lion: serious, serious problem

Eseifan

Idea

The keyboard short cuts for clipping are broken. Under Snow Leopard, when you select text in the browser, copy (ctrl+c) and then click ctrl+cmd+V and the text selected is copied into Evernote, along with the URL it came from. Now, with Lion, this doesn’t work as it should: the note is clipped only once you bring the Evernote app to the fore. If you copy and paste several notes and then bring the Evernote app to the fore, only the last item is clipped. And it is not a Safari-specific problem; it is exactly the same way with Firefox.

This is bad, a deal breaker for me. I rely heavily on Evernote for my work, sometimes clipping hundreds of articles per working day. Having to switch back and forth between the browser and Evernote at every clipping is just no good.

The worst part is that this is not new. I myself informed the Evernote team of this back in May (or maybe June) when I was running a beta of Lion. Any idea what’s going on?

6 replies to this idea

I'm betting it's because Evernote doesn't like to start working on unreleased OSs until they are "Gold Master" - the Lion GM was released just 2/3 weeks ago. Evernote claims this is a resource hog and a waste of time given the lack of stability on OSs before that stage (that's up for debate).

I don't have a good workaround other than to say use Chrome and the Evernote extension. It seems to be working alright. The Safari plugin is no-more (Safari 5.1 doesn't support plugins, only extensions, which Evernote should have known about for many months). I have also heard of problems with the Firefox add-on.

Hopefully they'll get back on their game soon.

I don't have a good workaround other than to say use Chrome and the Evernote extension. It seems to be working alright. The Safari plugin is no-more (Safari 5.1 doesn't support plugins, only extensions, which Evernote should have known about for many months). I have also heard of problems with the Firefox add-on.

The same problem with Chrome. ctrl+cmd+V to clip to Evernote works only when the app is in the foreground, otherwise, forget it. This is not a browser problem, this is an Evernote app problem.

This is not a clipper problem. The Firefox and Chrome clippers work just fine, and the Safari bookmarklet also. What is not working is the ctrl+cmd+V universal shortcut to paste stuff into the Evernote app when it is in the background. This is a problem of communication between the Evernote app and the OS, nothing to do with clippers or browsers. The Evernote team was informed of it a couple of months ago and they apparently decided it wasn’t that urgent.

The browser clippers are just too slow for me. Sometimes in a workday I have to collect hundreds of articles from the web on a certain topic I’m researching. And that kind of scale, the clipper is just hopelessly slow, has no keyboard shortcuts, and sends the article to the Evernote server, not to the desktop app, so you have to synchronise before you can see what was copied or not. Again, this process is hopelessly slow and inefficient.

The keyboard short cuts for clipping are broken. Under Snow Leopard, when you select text in the browser, copy (ctrl+c) and then click ctrl+cmd+V and the text selected is copied into Evernote, along with the URL it came from.

The URL only comes over with Safari, and not Firefox (in Snow Leopard).

I am finding the 'search in evernote' shortcut is very unreliable. Sometimes it brings evernote to the front, sometimes it does nothing at all, depending on what I did

EverNote: 2.2.3

Lion: App Store 10.7.0 release

- evernote is configured to appear on ALL desktops/spaces

* if evernote is NOT running, shortcut works

--------

* if I click away to bring another app to the front, the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

* if I switch desktops/spaces, the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

* if I close the evernote WINDOW (cmd-w) and switch to another app, the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

* if I hide the evernote app (cmd-h), the shortcut does not work to bring back evernote

so it seems I have to quit evernote for the shortcut to ever work.

Archived