(Archived) Mismatch between Web and Windows

Why is it that the functionality is not the same between the web and the windows versions? Way back when, I was told that I could use a "_" instead of a "@" to mark special words, e.g., "_next" instead of "@next".

I've just tried to do that. In Windows, I made a saved search for _next. It found a handful of notes, only one of which had _next in it. Instead, it was picking up on all "next" occurrences, but perversely enough, not marking them.

Then, I went to the web UI. There, I was able to make a _next search, and find exactly the note(s) I was looking for. I synched, and got the new saved search onto my windows box. Now it finds even more notes with "next" in them.

Should the two platforms not be more compatible?

It's bad enough that the web interface is slower, and I can't stand the new look (sorry), but now I have to go to it to actually get the functionality that was originally advertised?

Please check the behavior of the "" also.

Some versions do accept tag:to read when others obliges us to use tag:"to read".

Try saved search with these two examples on all platform to detect and fix.

We'll look into this, thanks. The correct syntax is tag:"to read".

Dear Iafanasyiev,

If the correct syntax is "to read" (with ""), I suggest you correct the help File in Advanced Search Syntax (Desktop) as the examples are figuring WITHOUT the "", except one.

chicken tag:cooking created:year

tag:cooking -tag:mexican beef -carrots

notebook:Travel intitle:"San Francisco" (this one does??)

any: "San Francisco" tag:SFO

resource:image/* latitude:37 -latitude:38 longitude:-122.5 -longitude:-122

-tag:* resource:audio/* updated:week-1

Best regards

Tom

If the correct syntax is "to read" (with ""), I suggest you correct the help File in Advanced Search Syntax (Desktop) as the examples are figuring WITHOUT the "", except one.

chicken tag:cooking created:year

tag:cooking -tag:mexican beef -carrots

notebook:Travel intitle:"San Francisco" (this one does??)

any: "San Francisco" tag:SFO

resource:image/* latitude:37 -latitude:38 longitude:-122.5 -longitude:-122

-tag:* resource:audio/* updated:week-1

Best regards

Tom

I admit that our help shipped with Windows client is outdated. We are not moving from the offline help to online help which will be easier to maintain. However, I didn't notice any syntax errors in the quoted search examples. if the parameter is a single word, you can use the simple syntax: tag:foo. If the tag name contains spaces, it must be surrounded by quotes: tag:"foo bar".

You are right.

But it should be, in my opinion, established that "" should be used...

Lots of us are coming from EN 2 where tags could be multi worded, so it is "natural" for us to tag without ""

I know that (in the case of tag:To read") i can even write tag:to it will work BUT NOT ON ALL PLATFORMS!!!!

Try it on Windows, Web, Iphone.... you'll see.

NOW SECOND PROBLEM: the famous (infamous) any: reserved word....

On desktop, I am obliged to write it in the search field and save the search

On web, that saved search will not work as it takes the word any: as a simple WORD (and no more as reserved word)

On Iphone, same thing and worse, it will even write it followed by an asterisk any:*

So any: searches are not working correctly between platforms!!!! (saved search)

It is tremendously frustrating, and I wrote about this since beginning of april!!!

And last but not least.... as in windows multi selecting tags by clicking makes an AND.... and windows works giving the choice between AND and OR (with the button All/Any), the only way to make an any: search is to WRITE it and save the search, which leads us directly BACK INTO THE PROBLEM (upper is not shouting, just to emphasize).

This should be fixed as soon as possible, you already are having bad evaluations on the web because of the differences between platforms (ask for last two months, you'll see some).

Best regards

Tom

Archived