(Archived) Tag to Notebook Relationship

Hi,

Is it possible to have tags that ONLY relate to one of my notebooks? That is, can tags be notebook specific?

Basically, I am trying to keep two notebooks separate (personal and work) which makes it easier for searching, sorting and keeping on top of all the entries. And I would much rather do it this way than to have two separate user names which makes the whole process very cumbersome.

Thank you!

Tom

Is it possible to have tags that ONLY relate to one of my notebooks? That is, can tags be notebook specific?

Basically, I am trying to keep two notebooks separate (personal and work) which makes it easier for searching, sorting and keeping on top of all the entries. And I would much rather do it this way than to have two separate user names which makes the whole process very cumbersome.

Tags are global for your account. What you can do is refine your search to the specific notebook and tag.

• Level 5

You could modify your tags so that they are used only in your personal notebook or your work notebook.

For instance, instead of one tag for Payments, consider using two tags:

• Per-payment [for personal payments]
    Job-payment [for work payments]

Nobody is perfect, so every so often, you could run a housekeeping search to find any tags that are in the wrong notebook.

• Notebook:Personal tag:Job-payment
    Notebook:Work tag:Per-payment

• Level 5*

If you're already separating notes by notebook, then you don't need tags to keep them sorted -- they're already sorted. Just pick the desired notebook and do your search / sort / whatever.

You could modify your tags so that they are used only in your personal notebook or your work notebook.

For instance, instead of one tag for Payments, consider using two tags:

• Per-payment [for personal payments]
    Job-payment [for work payments]

For tag sorting purposes, I would change that slightly:

payment-per [for personal payments]

payment-job [for work payments

:(

• Level 5

For tag sorting purposes, I would change that slightly:

payment-per [for personal payments]

payment-job [for work payments

:(

One of Evernote's strengths is its flexibility to suit the user.

One other thing - be sure to turn on the option to hide unassigned tags. Then, when you select your work notebook, the tag tree will only show you the tags used in that notebook. The tags you use for your personal notebook will be hidden (assuming you did not use any of them in work notes of course).

I find that this gives the illusion of notebook-specific tags, while at the same time I CAN choose to use the same tags in both notebooks if I want (and I have several that are generic enough that this makes sense to do).

Archived