(Archived) Seeking advice how to use Evernote properly

I've been wanting to try out Journler for more than half a year (had the website open in a firefox tab the whole time :D ) but never got around to it - and now I'm happy that I didn't, cause Evernote seems to be much more like what I was looking for in the first place, so yesterday I purchased 1 year membership of Evernote Premium. And why on earth would I do that if I don't even know how I'm going to use EN yet? Well, mostly because I figured that when I paid for a whole year I would HAVE to figure out a way to use Evernote to increase my workflow and "memory" in general.

So now I'm seeking advice on how to use Evernote in the most effiencly. I was hoping to use Evernote both privately and for work. I have a MacBook Pro which I use both at the office and at home, so the syncing is not that important for me, but I love the idea of having access to my notes from the iPhone.

My work mostly consists of developing and maintaining websites. They are rather big, so there's only a few websites that I spend most my times working on. Once in a while a new website might come along, but it's like a "hit and run", no continuous development/maintenance. Also I make sure our server(s) are up to date, running etc., but I can't imagine how Evernote could help me do that :)

If you have any suggestions, please share. If you don't, I would love to hear how YOU use Evernote for your work/private stuff and hopefully be inspired :)

Thanks!

Not bad, it certainly gave me some ideas.

I'm still wondering about what to do with dedicated project management. As mentioned in another thread and where you wrote that it doesn't support binary files, and since it's not possible to link to files within notes (other than a text link like /users/---/Documents/file.zip), then it's pretty hard to keep track of zip files, psd files etc. related to a certain project. I would really prefer not to use Journler or NoteMind for this purpose, as Evernote seem to have way more potential already.

... will have to think of a workaround till (hopefully) some kind of binary files / links to them, is supported in Evernote (Mac). (ideas are welcome, I can't be the only one using psd/zip etc. files?) :D

For me EN works best as instant recall. When...? Where...? Names, telephone numbers, facts and factlets - they go into EN fast and come out fast.

My work mostly consists of developing and maintaining websites. They are rather big, so there's only a few websites that I spend most my times working on. Once in a while a new website might come along, but it's like a "hit and run", no continuous development/maintenance. Also I make sure our server(s) are up to date, running etc., but I can't imagine how Evernote could help me do that

Next time someone asks which version of Red Hat is installed on server 123, open EN, start typing and answer within a few seconds.

"When was server 456 last updated?" idem dito.

That handy piece of PHP code? clipped.

Wbroek, you're right - it should be possible to use EN like that, will have to give it a try :D but this is again a case where it would be awesome with links/storage of binaryfiles. For example if i wanted to store info on which components are installed on which server, or perhaps the license FILE , then i cant because EN doesn't support links/storage of these kind of files, even though they might only be a few hundred kb's and would go into a local notebook (dont see a reason to sync stuff like that).

True. But I see Evernote more as a pointer file. It sure would be handy if I can make a note about my baby's first tooth and include the video with it -- but failing that I can point to where the file is. A link would be nice but in my daily use I notice I don't miss it a lot. I use TheBrain as a data/file tool instead.

In most cases what I need is instant recall -- and then I can do the rest like finding the file or whatever.

Lol, software: http://www.thebrain.com

Looks like a complicated windows app - but propably very powerful :) It would just suck to save all your stuff in 2 different places, but I'm also thinking of letting NoteMind keep track of all my project files and have notes in Evernote... it's just,... a bit weird, so to speak. What's keeping me from not posting notes in NoteMind when the files are there? I guess the sync. feature is dragging me towards Evernote, even though I rarely have use for my notes away from my MacBook Pro :)

Lol, software: http://www.thebrain.com

Looks like a complicated windows app - but propably very powerful :) It would just suck to save all your stuff in 2 different places, but I'm also thinking of letting NoteMind keep track of all my project files and have notes in Evernote... it's just,... a bit weird, so to speak. What's keeping me from not posting notes in NoteMind when the files are there? I guess the sync. feature is dragging me towards Evernote, even though I rarely have use for my notes away from my MacBook Pro :)

Actually, it's not that complicated. For us visual types, very powerful. Of course, you can get increasing involved as you get to know it, like most software. But for tracking complex relationships between different things/ideas, it's fantastic.

Archived