(Archived) REQUEST: Ability to drag note attachments into mail programs

robminnaert

Idea

A feature I'd like to see, and which seems overlooked to me, is the ability to drag one or more note attachements from the note into a compose window of gmail or any other (mail)program. Instead of only being able to mail 1 note with its attachment(s) from the built-in mail functionality (which is OK, but...) I would be nice to compose an email in your regular program, add cc and bcc, a custom signature, and than just drag in any file you need from evernote. Now, if we need a file anywhere but in evernote, we have to use the "save as..." command, which just creates a needles copy.

Any possibility this is an upcoming addition, for Mac as well as for Windows?

5 replies to this idea

Can I second this please!!!

I would love to use Evernote to store all my stuff including my thousands of Word, PPT, Excel docs etc BUT this is a showstopper. Having to get the file(s) out of evernote onto the file system and then attach the docs to an email then remembering to delete them (so I don't have duplicates docs) is a pain.

• Level 5*

I think it works - if a little inconsistently.

I can drag image attachments from Evernote to Mail on my Dock and a new email is created with the image included. This doesn't seem to work for other attachment types.

But, I can drag all other attachment types from Evernote into an already opened email - with the exception of PDFs that are open to be viewed inline.

there must also be some differences between win & mac here. Mac version has a lot less functionality for working with attachements. I can only get this working with image files, and only in the Mac Mail app, not with Gmail. The new feature Evernote released for windows recently (PDF toolbar) doesn't work as advertised, either. PDF's dragged out of evernote only end up as an error message. you can only drag them to your hard disk, which is nothing more than a cloaked "save as..."

there must also be some differences between win & mac here. Mac version has a lot less functionality for working with attachements. I can only get this working with image files, and only in the Mac Mail app, not with Gmail. The new feature Evernote released for windows recently (PDF toolbar) doesn't work as advertised, either. PDF's dragged out of evernote only end up as an error message. you can only drag them to your hard disk, which is nothing more than a cloaked "save as..."

We recently made changes to the Windows client in 4.5.4 Beta 1 that allows you to drag PDFs into most other programs that accept PDFs. (It works with Word, but for example breaks with Excel because Excel doesn't know how to handle PDFs). It's always worked for me into gmail, but the Beta 1 should make that smoother overall.

On Mac it's built a bit differently, and other file type attachments do have limitations about being dragged around. Added to our list

This is exactly the issue I'm grappling with. I want to use scan snap and EN and make my entire office paperless, but the one thing that's holding me back is that I need to be able to attach documents I've saved on EN to gmail messages. Has any progress been made on this? I tried to drag and drop a few pdfs on my mac this morning and it wasn't working.

Archived