(Archived) Editing notes that already exist.

The mobile web UI allows you to create new notes, but not to edit existing ones. Since mobile phones don't have rich text editors that can display images, etc., we want to avoid having someone accidentally lose all of the rich text and embedded resources in an existing note by editing on a platform that only supported plain text editing.

The mobile web UI allows you to create new notes, but not to edit existing ones. Since mobile phones don't have rich text editors that can display images, etc., we want to avoid having someone accidentally lose all of the rich text and embedded resources in an existing note by editing on a platform that only supported plain text editing.

Being a developer myself, I can see how this avoids a lot of problems.

Unfortunately, it also hampers the User Experience seriously.

I use Evernote mainly as a "Getting Things Done" (GTD) tool, that means for TODO lists, simple text messages etc. I really miss the ability to add things to lists (not having to add separate notes and merge them later at my computer), and to edit stuff.

At the very least, I'd suggest you offer the following functionality (which would make me very happy):

1) Ability to check checkboxes, and have them saved (this does not involve any Rich formatting)

2) Allow editing of plain text notes, i.e. those that do not contain rich text, images, etc. (At least the notes that were created on the mobile device in the first place.)

3) Allow deletion of notes (for example when I've finished the task that the note described)

4) Allow changing the tags of notes (i.e. remove an @action tag and add a @waiting_for tag)

Rich editing of course, will be more difficult on mobile clients, but the 4 points above will go a long way.

You couldalso consider some simple text tags to allow for creating checkboxes from plain text messages, for example:

[_] --> Unchecked checkbox

[x] --> Checked checkbox

Best regards,

Bjørn

I absolutely agree with the need to edit text notes, I have used Evernote on and off again for a year, but am continually frustrated by the need to create multiple new lists on my mobile then edit them weekly on my PC

Thanks

David

• 3 weeks later...

1) Ability to check checkboxes, and have them saved (this does not involve any Rich formatting)

2) Allow editing of plain text notes, i.e. those that do not contain rich text, images, etc. (At least the notes that were created on the mobile device in the first place.)

3) Allow deletion of notes (for example when I've finished the task that the note described)

4) Allow changing the tags of notes (i.e. remove an @action tag and add a @waiting_for tag)

You couldalso consider some simple text tags to allow for creating checkboxes from plain text messages, for example:

[_] --> Unchecked checkbox

[x] --> Checked checkbox

Well stated -- and I completely agree on all points. The ability to use text markup for checkboxes has been a bit of a pet request of mine for some time.

We will add the ability to edit "plain text" notes via the mobile UIs in the next 4-6 weeks. This means that notes you create on mobile (+iPhone) will be editable on mobile. Notes with a lot of formatting or images/audio/pictures will not be safely editable.

would it be possible to have an append option to a note from the mobile client.. I realize editing large/graphic notes is a task better suited to a PC, but I would like to be able to add a notes to photo's while on the phone. by the time I get back to the computer I don't remember to log in and note it properly.

Archived