(Archived) Evernote for WM "System date looks incorrect!"

Since this morning after a soft-reset or when starting Evernote for WM I get a "System date looks incorrect!" error even though my system date is fine.

Evernote still functions after ignoring the error... why is this happening and has anyone else seen this?

That happened to me once today.

I was going to sync a few photos I had taken (I hadn't done anything from my phone for a couple of weeks), but Evernote encountered some sort of error, said something about not being able to execute crash-something or something-crash (sorry, I wasn't able to record the exact message at the time), and said I should reinstall Evernote.

After spending a while trying to figure out how to download the Evernote .cab file directly to my phone, I managed to do that and reinstall, and after a couple hiccups everything seemed to be fine. Except that the next time I started Evernote, I got the message about the system date. It only happened once, and I've run Evernote several times now without it happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote checks for current date to be valid because when it starts authenticating with the service via SLL, it gets the digital certificate from the server, and checks if it is correct. If your device has a too old date (e.g. '2006), the certificate will be rejected as non-valid (because it is issued for '2008) and you will see some scary authentication error. I don't know how does the WM client checks if the date is valid or not, so when you see this error, please a) check that your date/time settings are correct and are not reset due to some power loss, hard reset or something. If everything seems to be OK, just give us some more information on the model/firmware of your device, OS, maybe additional programs installed, etc. to help us reproduce the problem on our side.

Evernote checks for current date to be valid because when it starts authenticating with the service via SLL, it gets the digital certificate from the server, and checks if it is correct. If your device has a too old date (e.g. '2006), the certificate will be rejected as non-valid (because it is issued for '2008) and you will see some scary authentication error. I don't know how does the WM client checks if the date is valid or not, so when you see this error, please a) check that your date/time settings are correct and are not reset due to some power loss, hard reset or something. If everything seems to be OK, just give us some more information on the model/firmware of your device, OS, maybe additional programs installed, etc. to help us reproduce the problem on our side.

I eventually hard-reset my device for another reason and the problem went away, but I know for sure that the system time was correct (That would have been the first think I checked when I received the error).

If it happens again, I'll report it here, but so far so good :D

when you see this error, please a) check that your date/time settings are correct and are not reset due to some power loss, hard reset or something. If everything seems to be OK, just give us some more information on the model/firmware of your device, OS, maybe additional programs installed, etc. to help us reproduce the problem on our side.

My date and time are accurate (actually, about five seconds fast, but pretty close).

I generally notice it just after I have sync'ed from my phone and quit Evernote, then start it again within a short time. That leads me to wonder whether it's a time-zone issue: I'm in the Eastern time zone, so if Evernote is remembering the last sync time as Pacific time (presumably the server's time zone) and sanity-checks the local time against that, it will appear that the system time is earlier than the last sync.

My phone is a Cingular 8525, WM 5.0, OS 5.1.195 (Build 14955.2.3.0).

My date and time are accurate (actually, about five seconds fast, but pretty close).

I generally notice it just after I have sync'ed from my phone and quit Evernote, then start it again within a short time. That leads me to wonder whether it's a time-zone issue: I'm in the Eastern time zone, so if Evernote is remembering the last sync time as Pacific time (presumably the server's time zone) and sanity-checks the local time against that, it will appear that the system time is earlier than the last sync.

My phone is a Cingular 8525, WM 5.0, OS 5.1.195 (Build 14955.2.3.0).

Thanks for the info, will try to reproduce on our side.

The time-zone hypothesis appears not to be the explanation; I checked about 3-1/2 hours after my last upload (i.e., more than the difference between ET and PT) and Evernote was still giving the error message. (Of course, it could still be some variation on that, like one being a local time and the other being UTC, I guess.) That was last night; when I tried this morning, though, the message was gone. I'll let you know of any other relevant observations.

That's good to hear.

Just to provide one additional bit of information, which might help verify your fix, I noted that I got the error message about 3-1/2 hours after my last sync, but when I tried again, about an hour later, the message did not appear. That would be consistent with comparing the current local time against the UTC time for the last sync, since EDT is four hours earlier than UTC.

Archived