(Archived) Feature Request: Pin/lock view to selected note

Hey guys!

Sorry if this has already been suggested or implemented but I did some searches with no result. I'm using the Windows client primarily but also the Mac and iPhone versions. :)

I have a saved search for untagged notes. When you add your first tag to the note, it vanishes out of the saved search and you are then viewing the next note that was presented by the search. In order to apply multiple tags (and then continue editing etc) you have to open the note into it's own window (or you can use the note adding dialog box, though when you're done it still vanishes etc). I realise it's not a huge deal to open the note in it's own window each time, but I guess I'm suggesting an Evernote preference option to remain selected on a note until you manually click on another note yourself. Other applications I use have a lock or pin icon that you can toggle to enable/disable the dynamic updating of the area being locked (in this case the inline note editor).

I've only gotten more heavily into Evernote recently so I'm not sure if my case of going from untagged to tagged is the only situation where this would be useful.

At any rate, I love Evernote! :lol:

UPDATE: Ok, this also applies when you filter your notes by tag, then remove that tag from the note, you lose focus from it.

When you add your first tag to the note, it vanishes out of the saved search

That would be expected behavior. You're changing the note so it no longer matches the search. (shrug) If you want to apply multiple tags to an untagged note, in the use case you mentioned, you can select the note & right click to bring up the tag list where you can apply multiple tags to the note. (At least in the Windows client & in the iPhone client, you can also apply multiple tags - can't speak to the Mac client.)

• Level 5*

Another thing that you can do, at least in the Windows version, is to open the note up in a separate window, and re-tag as desired.

That would be expected behavior. You're changing the note so it no longer matches the search. (shrug)

Oh no I do expect that to happen! :) I'm happy for it to vanish from the list of returned notes, I'm just surprised it's also deselected and no longer present in the editor. I could be weird but I was expecting a search feature to find a note for me, so I can then edit it until I'm done. If I search for a typo or something, the instant I start fixing the typo I'm taken away from that note because it no longer fit the search I did to find that note... I dunno it just seems aggressive or something haha. I'm editing the note, leave it alone! :)

I'll try the right click tagging though! Doesn't seem to work on Mac but that's ok.

Archived