(Archived) Suggestion to improve text formatting…

brianliddell

Idea

Just one of the (many) issues with text formatting in Evernote for Mac happens when you're trying to add some text immediately above a note clipped from a website.

It's always difficult, and sometimes impossible, to position your cursor before the web clipping, and the inserted text then always takes on the formatting of the first line in the clipping. Reformatting this text can only change its font or size, and the line spacing and any background color remain locked to the style of the first line of the clipping.

So if the first line of the web clipping is a big headline, your inserted text inherits its massive line spacing and its background, and these are impossible to remove.

I just noticed that the Evernote web bookmarklet (the one that's used in iOS, see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12712, not the standard Safari clipper) includes an option that solves this problem at a stroke.

This bookmarklet's popup dialog includes an extra box labelled 'Add Text'. Text entered here magically appears as default-formatted text immediately before the web clipping, nicely separated by a line rule.

I think this is a terrific feature, and it would be great if something similar could to be added to Evernote for Mac.

Here are my two alternative suggestions:

1. The simplest might be a new option in Evernote for Mac 's preferences to add an empty default text paragraph and a line rule above all new web clippings.

2. More generally useful would be a new 'Insert Text' button in the formatting bar – this would insert an empty default text paragraph, a positioned cursor, and a line rule exactly at the beginning of any note.

Anyone else think one, or both of these, would be a good idea?

Brian Liddell

1 reply to this idea

Just one of the (many) issues with text formatting in Evernote for Mac happens when you're trying to add some text immediately above a note clipped from a website.

. . .

Here are my two alternative suggestions:

1. The simplest might be a new option in Evernote for Mac 's preferences to add an empty default text paragraph and a line rule above all new web clippings.

2. More generally useful would be a new 'Insert Text' button in the formatting bar – this would insert an empty default text paragraph, a positioned cursor, and a line rule exactly at the beginning of any note.

Anyone else think one, or both of these, would be a good idea?

Brian Liddell

Brian,

Great suggestion! This issue has long been one of my pet peeves!

I like Option #1 mostly because it achieves the same thing and is most likely the easiest to implement -- meaning that we should hopefully get it sooner. Another possibility is for the editor to respond correctly to the CMD-HOME shortcut, which is supposed to take to you the VERY TOP of the document. So this would be before ANY of the web page clippped. Then a simple ENTER key an you have a blank line at the top without any formatting.

BTW, the same issue applies to going to the VERY BOTTOM of the document. It is often impossible to get beyond the web page formatting. So, CMD-END needs to be supported as well.

Archived