(Archived) Evernote for Android v. 3.1 Beta 1

Big news! The first beta of Evernote 3.1 for Android is ready for download (and also available via auto-update).

Tablet users behold! We've redesigned the user interface specifically for large format devices. If you were lucky to pass by our booth at Google IO you may have seen a preview. Evernote for Android will work both on phones and tablets. Some early tablet releases may have some troubles but we encourage you to give it a try and let us know how it goes.

In addition to tablet support we've also added a full rich text editing and authoring user interface. This version lets you create to-do items, bulleted lists and other styled text straight from your phone.

Download the beta at:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Wow this is amazing!!! Thank you!

edit: One bug - the bullet points come up as diamonds with a question mark inside on my phone. HTC Desire running Gingerbread. The numbered bullets work fine.

I installed it on my Optimus V Android 2.2. It installed fine, but when I tried to open it I got the message that the operation couldn't be done. I had a shortcut to a notebook and that one worked fine, but I couldn't get the main Evernote screen. I rebooted the phone & that didn't help. I uninstalled & re-installed the version available in the Android Market.

I installed it on my Optimus V Android 2.2. It installed fine, but when I tried to open it I got the message that the operation couldn't be done. I had a shortcut to a notebook and that one worked fine, but I couldn't get the main Evernote screen. I rebooted the phone & that didn't help. I uninstalled & re-installed the version available in the Android Market.

Same thing here.. App on the desktop didn't work, but the one in the app draw works

One bug - the bullet points come up as diamonds with a question mark inside on my phone. HTC Desire running Gingerbread. The numbered bullets work fine.

Same here on HTC Incredible on 2.2. Otherwise, great to see the checkboxes on mobile!!

If you goto settings and try to choose which databases to download to the device there is NO text. So you don't know what databases are selected :(

Samsung Galaxy S

Gingerbread 2.3

I see them fine on an Acer A500 running Honeycomb 3.0.1.

Thanks for letting us know about the invisible text on the settings screen. We'll get that fixed, but just as an FYI, you can also configure offline notebooks on the notebook screen by long pressing on the notebook.

Jess

Nice changes, but the note-editing screws up the previous formatting of a note in quite a few ways (removes text indentations, removes any double line breaks, to name a few). Even worse, it completely obliterates any note links that a note previously had before entering the editing mode. I had to move to the previous version just because of that!

Also, will we ever get the ability to move a note to a different notebook without having to enter editing mode? It's really vexing to see an option like "Facebook" (something I never need) in the context menu of a note, while "Move to notebook" (something I always need) nowhere to be seen until you hit "Edit"

Nonetheless, keep up the great work! You guys are doing an amazing job!

-Mike

This looks very promising, however one major issue for me is I now cannot see my notes in a long list, instead to browse notes you have to scan along a line then back to the beginning of the next line then along to the end, then back again etc.

This makes scanning through your available notes more difficult than in the previous version where you could choose how to view your notes using the display options button. The choices wer: snippet, list, mixed, thumbnail. Thumbnail was the only option that rendered notes as boxes going horizontally across the screen.

Whilst the interface looks very nice, without an option to show my notes as a vertical list, this software becomes much less usable for me. I think there is a danger of focussing too much on looks and trying to take advantage of new screen real estate at the cost of usability.

Do you plan to re-introduce the ability to list notes in different formats? Or is the option already there and I've missed it somehow?

+1 to looks very promising. thanks, EN!

using Acer Iconia A500 tablet Honeycomb 3.0.1

retrieves everything from cloud fine. Edits well (with the exception of bullets -> ? noted above)

bug: new notes created and saved on A500 tablet and synced to cloud

get error message on sync: Note upload failed

(and obviously don't show up on web version of EN nor desktop client on windows XP.)

While I am really liking what I see here, there is one more feature I would like to see added.

Since after the first start-up of the app on the tablet you no longer need to enter username/password, it would be VERY nice to be able to password protect individual notes. The first time you leave your tablet lying around unattended someone could pick it up and read anything you have saved just by starting the app.

This will be the only thing from keeping me from using my current favorite, Note Everything Pro, which does have that feature.

How about it Devs? Think it could be included?

Thanks,

Ken

By the way, I posted a review of this app on my new blog today http://everythingiconia.blogspot.com

While I am really liking what I see here, there is one more feature I would like to see added.

Since after the first start-up of the app on the tablet you no longer need to enter username/password, it would be VERY nice to be able to password protect individual notes. The first time you leave your tablet lying around unattended someone could pick it up and read anything you have saved just by starting the app.

This will be the only thing from keeping me from using my current favorite, Note Everything Pro, which does have that feature.

Thanks,

Ken

By the way, I posted a review of this app on my new blog today http://everythingiconia.blogspot.com

Wouldn't it be easier to lock the tablet rather than password protect each individual app that might contain sensitive information ? Especially if you are worried about anyone just picking it up and start looking at your stuff.

Thanks,

Ken

Wouldn't it be easier to lock the tablet rather than password protect each individual app that might contain sensitive information ? Especially if you are worried about anyone just picking it up and start looking at your stuff.

No, not as many times a day as I wake my tablet up every day. And I am not asking to password protect the app, I am asking to password protect specific NOTES in my notebooks, such as a note that lists my credit card info or passwords to whatever.

I might need to enter that password once a day, or less. I really don't want to have to enter an unlock code 50 or more times a day when my tab goes to sleep. and I am not necessarily talking about a stranger looking at stuff they have no business looking at, there are family members some of us don't like knowing everything about us or our private information.

I develop Windows database apps, I know this is not a difficult thing to implement, so I don't feel it is an over-the-top request.

Thanks,

Ken

No, not as many times a day as I wake my tablet up every day. And I am not asking to password protect the app, I am asking to password protect specific NOTES in my notebooks, such as a note that lists my credit card info or passwords to whatever.

I might need to enter that password once a day, or less. I really don't want to have to enter an unlock code 50 or more times a day when my tab goes to sleep. and I am not necessarily talking about a stranger looking at stuff they have no business looking at, there are family members some of us don't like knowing everything about us or our private information.

I develop Windows database apps, I know this is not a difficult thing to implement, so I don't feel it is an over-the-top request.

Got it. You can do that on the desktop version using note encryption , but it would be nice to see that in the mobile version . +1 for your request.

Thanks,

Ken

In Settings you can enable PIN Lock which provides a 4 digit numeric pin that is required to view any of your account content.

PIN lock was designed for this exact use-case.

While password protecting individual notes would be nice, I strongly recommend storing your credit card details and passwords in something secure like KeePass, rather than Evernote. It's free and runs on everything including Android. You could then keep your KeePass database in Evernote.

Remember, anything stored in Evernote even if you use a PIN is stored in plain text when it's synced to your SD card or local storage on your Android device or computer.

You'll need to use the 1.x version for Windows if you want it to be read/write compatible with Android.

Just ran into an issue: edited a long-standing note, and it 1) messed up the formatting of the note and 2) although it said it synced the note, the sync doesn't actually show up in my Evernote account. So, I'm going back to the shipping version and will check back in on the next beta release.

Tweets, shared from TweetDeck don't upload, any more.

Other sharing, like URL from the stock browser, seems to work.

Thank you for the feedback on the Tweet deck. We will have that fixed.

Wow this is amazing!!! Thank you!

edit: One bug - the bullet points come up as diamonds with a question mark inside on my phone. HTC Desire running Gingerbread. The numbered bullets work fine.

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into resolving this issue.

One thing I noticed with this last update Build 150257

I create a new note on Droid X or anytime I am editing on the mobile device

it is underlining the edit.

I created a test note with just letters and it underlines.

Mark

Thank you for your feedback. We have passed on this to our dev team.

Nice changes, but the note-editing screws up the previous formatting of a note in quite a few ways (removes text indentations, removes any double line breaks, to name a few). Even worse, it completely obliterates any note links that a note previously had before entering the editing mode. I had to move to the previous version just because of that!

Also, will we ever get the ability to move a note to a different notebook without having to enter editing mode? It's really vexing to see an option like "Facebook" (something I never need) in the context menu of a note, while "Move to notebook" (something I always need) nowhere to be seen until you hit "Edit"

Nonetheless, keep up the great work! You guys are doing an amazing job!

-Mike

Thank you for trying out the Beta version and providing your feedback. We will pass on your request on the feature. We are also looking into the issues reported.

Any news on when the cloud sync'ing will be fixed? I love the new features (minus the bugs mentioned above), but sync is a MUST for Evernote! I'll go premium as soon as that's available.

Also, if this is open for feature requests, the ability to attach reminders to notes would be AWESOME.

Thanks a ton!

-Alex

Just getting 2 notes out of about 20 which are not fully syncing from Asus Transformer.

One is just two lines of text, and the second line wouldn't make it to the web.

Second is a recipe I typed in. It syncs to web, but Windows client finds error with it.

First sync errors I've experienced with text-only notes.

N'mind, just found link to 2nd beta :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

The best thing is exactly like DROPBOX do in ANDROID. When you open the app you're asked for a four-digit code. After ten bad attempts, all tha data are wiped from your mobile devide. That's exactly what ALL THE USERS want.

Dare you to do a survey??

I have no idea why you are answering a two year old thread, about an Evernote client that is now on version 5, and has a 4-digit pin code already.

Because most people don't have full premium version because it costs too much money for some widgets and some silly things more, against other apps that has that pin code option in basic free version !

"Too much money" is relative.  However, $45 USD/year for a service like Evernote is more than reasonable, especially if you rely upon it a lot.  Additionally, a lot of users think it's actually nice to pay for a service they value to thank the company for providing a great app and service.  (I don't work for free.  Do you?)  But if $3.75/month is "too much money", then you should probably stick with the apps that provide a PIN code in their free version. 

• Level 5*

but I think that it's better that everybody buy the app paying costs under 2€, because with the actual cost only will be sold a few...

think on ANY famous app to realize I mean...

It's a fair request, but Evernote needs to differentiate between its free and premium versions somehow. Upload capacity is one, and this is evidently another one.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>181B018A05F0A1ED</RequestId>

<HostId>

icYBn5dJEdp4ftUj3DKD8e1+glkBnknUtC3fWyEa/M9QGYd2kwQy2wzbedMq6q5U

</HostId>

</Error>Hey

Getting this when I try and download the link, any ideas? 

• Level 5*

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>181B018A05F0A1ED</RequestId>

<HostId>

icYBn5dJEdp4ftUj3DKD8e1+glkBnknUtC3fWyEa/M9QGYd2kwQy2wzbedMq6q5U

</HostId>

</Error>Hey

Getting this when I try and download the link, any ideas?

It's because you're trying to download a beta for a 2 year old version. Android is up to version 5 now, and that link is old and invalid.

Archived