(Archived) Feature REQUEST: Prioritizing within notebooks

I did a search for prioritizing and found nothing along these lines.

Would it be possible to add stars or a system to keep the most important notes that I deem more important higher in my notebooks, etc. I have stacks, and notebooks, and within notebooks, I could upwards of 50-100 notes. There are notes I would like to put 5 Stars next to for more importance and to see more readily. If anybody has any ideas for how they do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

I'm going to delete the other 2 identical topics you created.

Thanks, not sure how that happened.

As for tagging, can you give me an example? When I tag, do i use a tag that literally has *****'s, and this will keep them at the top, superceding notebooks that usually go to the top because of more recent dates?

thanks for the help.

• Level 5*

You can use a tag that befins with '*' (e.g. '*Star'), but I think that that screws up the tag search (at least in the Windows desktop): that is, a search on 'tag:*Star' won't generate the correct search parameters. It's probably better to use '@' or '_' as your special prefix (e.g. '@Star' or '_Star'). These will also sort before normal tags that begin with a letter, so you can sort by tag and these should float to the top (provided you don't have untagged notes).

• Level 5*

I think Jefito that he wants to sort his notebooks so that the priority notes show at the top. Certainly, on a Mac I don't believe you can order by tag, only by title.

• Level 5*

For those clients where you can sort by tag, you can take advantage of the sort order by using tag names that sort early to also indicate priority. So if '@Star' sorts before other tags, I can tag important items with '@Star', then pick a notebook, and sort on the Tag column. Voila: notes tagged with '@Star' come out on top, except for untagged notes. It's a bit of a hack, but it works fine on the Windows platform; this is the General Discussion forum and I didn't see Mac mentioned.

I've no idea what client he is on either.

Sorry, details!

Mac desktop, Android.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I would like to be able to sort the notes within my notebooks by importance, via star values, rather than the date the note was modified, or by alpha.

• Level 5*
I think that in your use case it would make more sense to put the *****s at the beginning of the Title - then sort by title.

I'd give this a go - pretty easy to test and see if it works for you too.

I think that in your use case it would make more sense to put the *****s at the beginning of the Title - then sort by title.

This works well on the desktop, but, alas, does not translate the same way on Android.

• Level 5*

I use a *Follow.Up tag for just this purpose, to get those notes to the top, since I think it is the special character that is first in the sort order.

Did a quick test, in the windows client if you create tags of *, **, ***, ****, and *****, in the list view when you sort by tag, the ***** tag sorts to the top. Not sure, but * may be the special character that sorts to the top.

FWIW.

• Level 5*

My test on the Windows client showed that using '*' in a tag name (or at least as the first character) caused a search for that tag not to work (the '*' was taken as a word separator)

• Level 5*

I wasn't using it in a search, more sorting the results of a search or contents of a notebook. The "*"sorts to the front of the tag list for a note and to the top in list view. Just responding to the initial question.

Of course one could select the "*****" tag and get just those, depending on notebooks or stacks selected.

• Level 5*

Yep, I understand -- I was just pointing out a problem with using '*' as a prefix. I use '_' and '@' for the same purposes; these don't suffer from the same flaw.

This works well on the desktop, but, alas, does not translate the same way on Android.

UPDATE: Using *, **, ***, etc., does work on my Android, as long as I view snippets by Title and not Date. That's all I wanted, but using ****'s isn't as nice as coded stars in as slick GUI... :)

This system actually works well for me because now the notes I want up top remain there, like I wanted all along.

I've been using "A Note To Me" as a notebook where I put the things I want to find readily. Awkward. But when there are more than a few notes in there it's going to be the same old problem, you can't get where you want to go easily.

There are many ways to skin this cat. :wink:

But we need to separate the potential solutions into:

(1) Sorting the note list in some preferred order

(2) Identifying the Notes with high priority

(3) Identifying the Notes that still require some action

1. SORTING

I agree with Jeff that using asterisks in the Note Title can cause unintended consequences.

Plus, it is somewhat limited, and hard to quickly visualize if you have more than a few Notes to view.

One approach to user-defined sorting, is to put a zero-left-filled number at the beginning of the Note Title.

EXAMPLE: 01 - This is my note title

2. SETTING PRIORITY

One approach is to use a set of hierarchal tags like:

Priority
PRI.A
PRI.B
PRI.C
etc

• [*:1q6snt7s]All of the tags that start with "PRI" are sub-tags to the "Priority" tag.
    [*:1q6snt7s]This makes it easy to see them all together in the Tag list, and to hide/collapse when you don't need to see them.
    [*:1q6snt7s]By starting each actual priority with "PRI." it makes it easy to assign tags.
    Just start typing "PRI." and the system will show you a drop-down list of your choices.
    [*:1q6snt7s]You can then easily filter the Note list by a specific priority.

3. IDENTIFYING NOTES THAT REQUIRE ACTION

Again, you can use a set of hierarchal tags:

STATUS
ST.Open
ST.In_Work
ST.Closed
ST.Canceled

• [*:1q6snt7s]When you create the Note that requires action, assign the tag "ST.Open"
    [*:1q6snt7s]When you begin work on the action, delete the "ST.Open" and add the "ST.In_Work" tag
    [*:1q6snt7s]When the action is complete, or canceled, delete/add the tag to "ST.Closed" or "ST.Canceled"
    [*:1q6snt7s]Then you can easily filter your note list just by clicking on the desired status tag.

Of course you can do a lot more, like creating saved searches that combine the tags.

For example, you may want a Search for "tag:ST.Open tag:PRI.A" to list only your top priority Notes that are still open.

Hope this helps.

Yes it helps!Excellent ideas. Now I feel dumb but I did not know you could have sub-tags. This might work much like folders once I get used to it. I named my got-to-get-to-easily notebook A Note To Me so 'A' would be out there. Have a few other mostly empty notebooks doing the same. Will try your ideas and I thank you.

Archived