(Archived) Feature Req: Note attribute/metadata for "device created on"

Hello all,

I'm often going through my notes and trying to find certain ones I clipped while at a certain computer or device. I have Evernote installed on 3 computers and my Blackberry, but can't tell which of these was the device I created the note with.

It would be handy if there was an automatically-created note attribute that indicated the source.

Many thanks!

I think that's a neat idea. Yes, you could easily do it with tags. However, I frequently don't add tags when creating a note on one of my mobile devices, especially if it was a quick note when I'm on the run. I add the tag later.

Hello all,

I'm often going through my notes and trying to find certain ones I clipped while at a certain computer or device. I have Evernote installed on 3 computers and my Blackberry, but can't tell which of these was the device I created the note with.

It would be handy if there was an automatically-created note attribute that indicated the source.

Many thanks!

As far as the multiple computers, I have EN Windows desktop on two desktop computers & two netbooks. I can tell where they originated from by looking at the author field, which is the Windows login, since they are different.

Interesting. Which version of EN are you using? The 'Author' field is not populated in any of my notes, and there does not seem to be anywhere to set a default. After a quick search through the forum, it seems that the auto-population of the Author field has been gone for some time now.

Thanks,

Brian

Interesting. Which version of EN are you using? The 'Author' field is not populated in any of my notes, and there does not seem to be anywhere to set a default. After a quick search through the forum, it seems that the auto-population of the Author field has been gone for some time now.

Ah, yes, indeed, that seems to be the status quo. (Sorry.) I have hidden the author field b/c it was annoying (to me) since all notes were created by me, but on different computers. What I have noticed after confirming what you pointed out (that I love) is that when emails are automatically forwarded to the EN account, the author is populated with the sender's info. I wonder if the author (when creating a note using a desktop client) was omitted intentionally in the 4.x version. I've posed the question in this thread.

In the Windows client, under the 'Attributes'' section in the leftmost pane, there are a some "Source" filters. They won't distinguish between desktops, but can filter by notes created on a mobile, emailed to Evernote or derived from a web clip. This corresponds to the "source:" attribute, documented in the Evernote search grammar.

Hope this helps.

Archived