(Archived) Fire iPad app designer, give Android app designer a raise

I am running EN on my PC on the Client and often in the web browser. I also run it on an iPad and just accepted the silly UI and suboptimal experience until I started to run it on my Thunderbolt Android phone the other day. WTF?! The user experience on my 4.3" Android phone BLOWS away the user experience on my 10" iPad. It's beautiful, and it comes unbelievably close to duplicating the desktop experience considering that it's a mobile phone. I'd love to know why EN did such a beautiful job of duplicating the desktop experience on a mobile phone, but created a suboptimal iPad user experience where the way information is laid out and the metaphors aren't even remotely similar to the desktop PC or web browser app? It's certainly not due to any limitation on the iPad.

. . . I'd love to know why EN did such a beautiful job of duplicating the desktop experience on a mobile phone, but created a suboptimal iPad user experience where the way information is laid out and the metaphors aren't even remotely similar to the desktop PC or web browser app? It's certainly not due to any limitation on the iPad.

This is a very good question that many of us would like to have answered.

Given the huge sales/success of the iPad it is hard to understand why Evernote has not provided a better UI on the iPad.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was expecting someone to immediately tell me how off base I was. One of the things I love about EN is the user experience, it's pretty darn good. I just find the user experience on the iPad bizarrely dissimilar (and suboptimal) compared to the desktop/browser client and Android apps. The strange thing is the desktop user experience could be recreated on the iPad almost verbatim.

• Level 5*

It's strange because they made a big deal about the ipad redesign and I do think it looks good and some of the detailing is really pretty clever. But, I think from a usability point of view it's not very good at all.

I agree that something closer to the new web or the desktop version would be far more useful - less eye candy and more function in other words.

I don't have access to an Android device - would you mind posting a couple of screenshots?

It's strange because they made a big deal about the ipad redesign and I do think it looks good...

That's actually the problem I have with it, it seems to me like instead of duplicating what people love about the EN experience they decided to copy the look of some other popular iPad apps that are nice eye candy, but rate poor on usability. As an example, the Android app actually shows notebook stacks, but you can't even see your stacks on the iPad! At least not as far as I've noticed. So I have a ton of different notebooks and no way whatsoever to see them in their proper hierarchy. Ditto on tags, you can't see your tag stacks.

• Level 5*

Well Stacks is an easy one to explain - not supported on iOS yet.

Give me the same mixed view as I have on the Mac client and I'd be very happy.

We are currently working on a new ipad redesign. To muddy the waters a bit Apple will be releasing IOS 5 in the not too distant future so the redesign may be delayed until we see what is being released in IOS 5. It does not make sense to redesign the Ipad with the current os then have to redo our work to conform to the new IOS 5.

Thanks for the feedback Phil, it's nice to hear it's on your radar. However you'll forgive me for being skeptical that iOS 5 will cause some major rework ;-). Still, nice to know you are working on a new design, if it's as good as Androids I'll be very happy.

We are currently working on a new ipad redesign. To muddy the waters a bit Apple will be releasing IOS 5 in the not too distant future so the redesign may be delayed until we see what is being released in IOS 5. It does not make sense to redesign the Ipad with the current os then have to redo our work to conform to the new IOS 5.

Phil,

Please don't make us wait until iOS 5 is released for an iPad update.

When you guys made the iPhone update you promised an iPad update soon. It is now way past "soon".

While a complete redesign is really needed, there are some urgent fixes that need to be made.

An example is the very inconsistent font size. Please see topic viewtopic.php?f=45&t=17780&p=108036&hilit=ipad+font#p108036

While it is always possible for an OS update to break an existing app, I know Apple tries very hard to make the updates backward compatible.

Please don't wait for iOS 5.

Thanks.

It's funny, I have both an iPad 2 and a Thunderbolt, and, even though I use Evernote extensively on both, I can't say the difference in UI ever "registered". Yes, I know it's different but it doesn't affect my usage. There are, after all, so very many things that are different between iOS and Android. I've become so used to moving back and forth between the two that I don't notice anymore.

I love the iPad version of Evernote. I have no problems using it and it's beautiful. The Android version is, by comparison, spartan and functional. That's not what I want from an iPad experience. So, my vote is, don't change it! The iPhone app on the other hand......

• Level 5*
I don't have access to an Android device - would you mind posting a couple of screenshots?

I discovered that my phone does not have the native ability to save screenshots so unfortunately I won't be able to do this.

OK thanks - you should get an iPhone, it's easy :P

Archived