(Archived) How can I make Evernote log every one of my actions?

tw93

Idea

Is there a way to make Evernote log the time each time I write something in Evernote? I know this may be an odd question, but the reason I want this as opposed to me manually write down the date/time is because if I do have a decent idea, I do not want to be accused of stealing something, when I had the idea beforehand (just never voiced it). So yeah, is there any way?

8 replies to this idea

I'm not sure I am answering your question, but here's a couple of ideas. When you edit a note, the 'Updated' timestamp is adjusted to the current date/time. In conjunction with this, for premium subscribers only, there is access to note history, which saves previous versions of notes - timestamped - that you can browse. I personally insert a timestamp ([CTRL]+[;] in the Windows client) whenever I add something distinctly new to a note.

Depending upon how your additional contributions relate to the previous ones in the note, another alternative would be to create a new note for each idea rather than adding to an existing one and then associate them with tags so you can easily find them in a search. That way, each discrete idea will be date/time stamped by the editor upon creation/last modification.

Hope this helps...

• Level 5*

On the Windows client (I don't know if it's the same on Mac), you can edit Updated time yourself, so it's not really proof of much anything. If you really need to have legal proof of when you come up with ideas, you're probably going to need to find another way. The lawyers are still gonna get you. :)

Damn, so I suppose the most convenient way to document notes with an official timestamp is to email it to myself (followed by entering it in evernote for organization)? *shrugs*

• Level 5*

All due respect to the answers above, but since email dates, note insertions and even the note created dates can all be altered by one means or another, none of these is legal proof that you had an idea three days/ weeks/ months/ years ago. In the UK it used to be an idea to snailmail a document to yourself so the postal service stamp on the package (if it was legible) showed the date it went through the system. You kept the thing unopened to prove the date of origin. I recall seeing something ages ago that said even that isn't acceptable as legal proof. I'd suggest getting some legal advice in your jurisdiction as to what would be acceptable as proof, but even if there is a method it probably isn't something trivial enough to do on every post. Sorry.

• Level 5*

I'm sure you are correct - if you really want to cover your ass legally, I'd guess that you have to submit some sort of witnessed documentation to a probably very expensive lawyer.

Archived