(Archived) Need char/word count function for EN mac

schuylersun

Idea

16 replies to this idea

Unfortunately, the Mac version seems to be missing some really useful features that Windows users enjoy. I occasionally use my Windows machine just to take advantage of them. I know that Evernote trends towards parity across platforms, but unless I am mistaken, some of these differences have been around for many, many months.

As a Mac user, I'm not feeling the love here!

This goes both ways, IIRC. There are some features on the Mac that are not on the Windows version. The first one that springs to mind (IIRC) is highlighting search words within PDFs. (THAT certainly caused a big brouhaha about six months ago!) Owyn seems to be the master of the inconsistency among clients, so he may be able to elaborate here, if he chooses to do so.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, the Mac version seems to be missing some really useful features that Windows users enjoy. I occasionally use my Windows machine just to take advantage of them. I know that Evernote trends towards parity across platforms, but unless I am mistaken, some of these differences have been around for many, many months.

As a Mac user, I'm not feeling the love here!

BurgersNFries: "EN does not post ETAs & rarely post if a feature will be added or not." :-(

I'm trying NaNoWriMo at the moment and to keep track of my word-count for each day of futile head>wall>banging this month I have to keep cutting and pasting to and from Journler - can't use Word as it keeps putting in its own snippets of formatting. I was very frustrated last night as you might have guessed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. But for the life of me I can't understand why this feature wasn't added at the time when it was included in the PC version. Sigh.

You're welcome & I'm sorry you're having such a hard time on this. I don't know why it wasn't included with the Mac version when it was added to the Windows version. I do suspect the Mac team & the Windows team is primarily comprised of different folks, although there may be a person or two who may be a crossover. I also seem to recall Dave Engberg stating once on the board that each team works independently of each other, although feature parity is also always a goal, especially between the two desktop clients. (I usually look this stuff up so I can link to the post & quote correctly. Alas, the search function on the new board seems to not always function correctly & is not my friend...)

As a developer myself, I know it's not unusual for lower priority items that may be very easy to implement (and I don't know if this is) get set aside for higher priority items. Maybe this feature isn't something that can be added in an hour or a day. Maybe it's easy to implement but the Mac team is short handed b/c someone is home sick. Sometimes items get overlooked (devs are people (translate: fallible) too. As huge as Evernote's presence is in the technology world, AFAIK, it's still pretty much a "small" business. We can't know why this hasn't been added to Mac at this time. But I'd guess it's reasonable to assume it will eventually make it's way to the Mac client.

[/lecture]

BurgersNFries: "EN does not post ETAs & rarely post if a feature will be added or not." :-(

I'm trying NaNoWriMo at the moment and to keep track of my word-count for each day of futile head>wall>banging this month I have to keep cutting and pasting to and from Journler - can't use Word as it keeps putting in its own snippets of formatting. I was very frustrated last night as you might have guessed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. But for the life of me I can't understand why this feature wasn't added at the time when it was included in the PC version. Sigh.

@DLU. Thanks what? Thanks and yes, or thanks but no? Or thanks but no idea when, or thanks but no idea if? If it wasn't for the cross-platform support, I would have use Journler. As it is i have to cut and past to get a number... I NEED word-count on EN for the Mac, and I am not alone! Please get the team onto this. Ask them to stop using up their time fiddling with the interface and to give us instead the essential and basic tools. Other than this rant, EN is brilliant, and I love it.

EN does not post ETAs & rarely post if a feature will be added or not. However, since they do try to have feature parity across all platforms, I'd guess character/word count will find it's way to Mac, eventually. As far as "fiddling with the interface and to give us instead the essential and basic tools." I'm sure that each user has their own set of priorities they'd like installed.

@DLU. Thanks what? Thanks and yes, or thanks but no? Or thanks but no idea when, or thanks but no idea if? If it wasn't for the cross-platform support, I would have use Journler. As it is i have to cut and past to get a number... I NEED word-count on EN for the Mac, and I am not alone! Please get the team onto this. Ask them to stop using up their time fiddling with the interface and to give us instead the essential and basic tools. Other than this rant, EN is brilliant, and I love it.

signed up to the forum just to ask for this. Word count would make a big difference for mine and many of my designer friends who use evernote to keep up to date on projects.

Second this comment. I use a browser word count, and it's a pain to copy and paste content from Evernote. The desktop app used to have Word Count function, you could right click from anywhere within the note and select 'Word Count' from the resulting menu ...what happened?

Please bring back the Word Count! It didn't deserve to die so young.

signed up to the forum just to ask for this. Word count would make a big difference for mine and many of my designer friends who use evernote to keep up to date on projects. I cant understand how this still hasn't been implemented, makes me sad to open word (shudder)

Thanks for the feedback. We tend to release features on the first client that can get them done in time rather than waiting for every client to get done at the same time. This allows people to get access to things earlier on average, but once in a while Windows gets something before Mac.

Archived