(Archived) REQUEST: Highlighter

I take online classes and we have to download readings. Before Evernote I just saved these readings to a PDF and used Acrobat to read them. Acobat has a highlighter function to highlight text, which is real useful for identifying key text I need to know for class. I like using Evernote because I don't need to save the readings in a seperate file, however I don't have the ability to highlight. I use Evernote on the iMac using the current version of OSX.

Another function that would be nice is a zoom function to make the text larger.

Love you product !!! :D

Thanks,

Norm

• 5 months later...

When I'm doing research I usually clip a whole bunch of text and then in the note I change the text that I want to refer back to, a different color. It would be much nicer if I could actually highlight it yellow though. Any ideas as to if this will be implemented?

Thanks

• Level 5*

It's generally better if you have questions, to post them in the particular forum for your Evernote client.

That being said, this does exist on the iOS clients currently, I think, but nowhere else. I think it's likely that it will be implemented on the other clients, but Evernote typically does not release feature roadmaps.

This has bothered me since I started using Evernote (which I do almost exclusive through the Mac desktop). I'll be thrilled on the day I can highlight in Evernote on my computer.

Mitigating the problem a little bit, however, is that highlighting websites is very easy with Diigo. Whenever I'm reading something online that I want saved in Evernote and highlighted, I highlight with Diigo before clipping. On rare occasions the highlighted passages show up as italics (not sure why), but usually it's perfect for what I need/want (and when the italics show up, re-clipping usually solves the issue with that page/note).

And when I'm desperate to highlight text in a non-clipped note, I copy a bit of highlighted text and start typing within it to change the text to say what I want while preserving the highlighting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In general, it's safe to assume that if we have one feature available on one platform, we're looking for ways to implement on the others.

This feature is essential for normal typing. I like the program as a hole, but lacking a highlighter makes Evernote look like they cant program. I see that there has been many other user´s unsatisfied by this. I´d hope, that when it comes available that we can be updated by this Forum.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

That being said, this does exist on the iOS clients currently, I think, but nowhere else. I think it's likely that it will be implemented on the other clients, but Evernote typically does not release feature roadmaps.

I understand that EN does not publish their roadmap, but it is disappointing the text background highlighting is still not available on the EN Mac client, even though it has been 5 months since it was released on the iOS client and there have been several EN Mac updates, including a UI redesign (that no one asked for).

• Level 5*
feature is essential for normal typing. I like the program as a hole, but lacking a highlighter makes Evernote look like they cant program.

Only to someone who lacks the senses to see the entirety of what Evernote has built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe there isn't an option for highlighting! It's a must for studying and preparing notes for presentations!

All three of your posts say exactly the same thing in the general, Mac & Windows section. There is no need to flood the board with the same post multiple times, in different sections.

• 5 months later...

The "Clearly" Chrome extension has a great highlighter... so if you do your highlighting in Clearly before clipping, it works a treat.

But, alas, you cannot do any highlighting directly within Evernote... which, of course, would be amazing...

Archived