Sync Onenote and Evernote so users don't have to choose

shawnholt

I've really really tried to use Evernote instead of Onenote. I keep hitting a wall. Onenote canvas, heiarchy, etc is just too compelling for me and EN just won't replace it (see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24839&p=109751#p109751, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15260&hilit=+onenote#p60791 and many others...)

Rather than turn EN into ON - I propose you allow them both to co-exist. You have already developed an import, both companies have a sync infrastructure, it would be relatively easy to map the bits and pieces left over. This would allow native onenote for certain tasks and EN for others - but both tools would see the data.

From a business model standpoint, it would make it much easier to cater to existing ON users since they could incrementally try new features with out a big transition.

Never underestimate the challenge of changing the users behavior.

There is absolutely no need to include / get permission from microsoft - the two products would simply need a sync module (which both products actually have!). Evernote would have a much easier time getting Onenote users to adopt their product and that would pay for the additional development.

• 1 year later...

Shawnholt, I would also really really like this.

I love the One Note design but I use Evernote for many other things. Things that onenote can do but I prefer the way evernote does it.

I would love a sync between the 2 and not have to choose and search the one and then the other.

Any developers out there looking to do it?

Gary

Just an update:

I thinking of something like this. https://zapier.com/zapbook/skydrive/

Except with Evernote and OneNote

I've really really tried to use Evernote instead of Onenote. I keep hitting a wall. Onenote canvas, heiarchy, etc is just too compelling for me and EN just won't replace it (see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24839&p=109751#p109751, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15260&hilit=+onenote#p60791 and many others...)

Rather than turn EN into ON - I propose you allow them both to co-exist. You have already developed an import, both companies have a sync infrastructure, it would be relatively easy to map the bits and pieces left over. This would allow native onenote for certain tasks and EN for others - but both tools would see the data.

From a business model standpoint, it would make it much easier to cater to existing ON users since they could incrementally try new features with out a big transition.

Never underestimate the challenge of changing the users behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The hard part about syncing two different non-standardized formats is that the data models never match and you will always have some degree of data loss. Both these apps are highly proprietary and have no interest in interoperability. At best, one app could dump text or html files to the other, but you'd lose all the other note properties that make notebook applications useful in the first place. 

• 4 months later...

I like evernote for small one-off things.

For larger topics where content spans multiple notes, OneNote is a clear winner. The hierarchical organization of books, sections, pages, indented pages makes capturing / sharing / reviewing information immensely easier. The problem with OneNote is it's tied to the web or windows platform. I'd probably move to OneNote entirely if there were Mac / PC / web / mobile versions. The web version can be a bit sluggish when switching between content pages / notes, which is a huge usability problem (where EverNote wins with responsive native app support for multi-platforms).

Similarly, I would move away from OneNote to EverNote if they could add some basic organization features for multiple notes (multi-page & section / topic, plus easier support for text indentation within a note).

Neither company seems to budge. Kind of wish there was an alternative that met both needs. I'd probably be willing to pay double what I am now for EN.

Similar comments from another user:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1847318&seqNum=3

as long as there is an API for both, or some kind of real export, the sync is possible. It has nothing to do with competition per se (and MS gets in trouble/has gotten in trouble because of this for years, proprietary formats and all), but there are examples of third-party products that do just that... synch or export from one kind of format to another to create portability where none exists. EN has a data format and an API. I believe that OneNote does as well. The missing part is the piece in the middle I think and I have often been surprised that it doesn't already exist or that some smaller dev shop or dedicated hobbiest hasn't created it as yet.

• 1 month later...

Archived