(Archived) Feature request: audio quality preferences

I'm using Evernote 2.1.0 on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. I've just started using the audio notes to record seminars and lectures, which I'm hoping will make organization of class stuff much easier. However, though the resulting audio file sizes are tiny, the quality is not great; it's worse yet if your mic is not near whoever's speaking. I've currently got quite a bit of audio recorded in Evernote that's only marginally useful because it's (1) too quiet, and (2) too low quality--and I'm not that picky: I have a high tolerance for low quality, but seriously, it's mostly unusable. Because I cannot always move physically nearer to the audio source to solve the problem, would it be possible to have some settings in the Evernote preferences to adjust audio quality? Would be even better if, in addition to that, there were a volume adjustment built into Evernote itself--kind of like iTunes and VLC have their own volume settings that go louder than what the typical volume settings permit.

Any chance of something like this being in the works?

• Level 5*

You could also try an external mic, the built in mic on a laptop is not exactly ideal for recording at a distance and behind the screen.

Thanks for your reply. Using an external mic might help this problem, but only a just a little (unless of course, the mic is placed right next to the person speaking, which is not usually possible). The Mac's internal mic is actually quite good for the situations I typically record in (with other software it is, anyway). Or, at least, the bump in audio quality an external mic would provide would be negligible compared to what's needed to solve the clarity and volume issue. It doesn't seem so much an issue of the mic's placement or quality as it seems to be file quality and playback volume.

• Level 5*

Interesting, it's not something I'm likely to have the opportunity to test.

How about recording with another app and then adding the file to your note as an alternative?

Interesting, it's not something I'm likely to have the opportunity to test.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

How about recording with another app and then adding the file to your note as an alternative?

Good suggestion, and I've been doing something like this, except with an MS Word file and Dropbox. I could start adding the audio file to Evernote as an alternative, but then there seems to be no value in using Evernote for this task compared to any number of other low cost solutions one might use.

I don't write software, so maybe what I'm asking for is hard to implement.

Archived