(Archived) why cant i read epub in evernote?

this is a drawback i think. i dont want to have to use a different iapp, neither on my iphone, nor my mac. can we please have a plug in or an update allowing inline reading of epub and .mobi? i have hundreds of .epub files, and i am tired of converting each one individually...

thank you thank you thank you

• Level 5*

Attachments (except for PDFs) are generally handled by activating an external viewer. If you have a .pub or .mobi file handler installed on your machine, you should be able to double-click the attachment icon and it should come up in the appropriate reader. At least, that's the way that it works on the Windows client, and should work on the Mac client as well.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah thats all well and good, but i might as well just keep my ebooks in finder, and use spotlight to open them. the elegance of evernote allows me to keep an annotated, tagged, highly evolved library accessible on any device, anywhere in the world. which is what i use it for for my PDF book library. pdf is nice, i can read them inline in evernote now, for the last several generations of evernote, and i can open them in acrobat and highlight and annotate. but i have hundreds of other books in epub format that i would love to integrate into my evernote library. opening them externally is so neolithic. and it doesnt help much on an iphone or ipad. which means, i have to manually manage the library through stanza or kindle or ibooks or all three...COME ON! that may work for windows users, but... j/k. i am slowly learning how to code so i can finally solve my own problems. IN THE FUTURE LANGUAGE AS WE KNOW IT WILL GO THE WAY OF LATIN, LASERDISK, AND THE UNFORTUNATE NORTH AMERICAN BISON. we will cease communicating with humans, and learn to communicate directly to computers. we already are, case in point, but it will become more direct. less and less layers of obfuscation...oh, is that off topic? on the contrary, dear Watson!

• Level 5*

As Jeff says, if you have an appropriate viewer installed and you are a Premium customer, you can open an epub from within Evernote.

Good luck with the bison and laserdisks.

• Level 5*

As it happens, Latin lives on, in the form of the modern-day Romance languages... It never died; it just changed...

I hate to say it, but centuries of language evolution has made it just as potentially obfuscatory as ever it was. I see no hopes that ambiguity will magically vanish any time son.

but i have hundreds of other books in epub format that i would love to integrate into my evernote library. opening them externally is so neolithic.

It's hardly neolithic but rather "why reinvent the wheel?" It also contributes to the flexibility of Evernote. For a couple of reasons, I still use a discontinued image editor (Paint Shop Pro.) So I can drop a .pspimage into Evernote & still be able to edit that file w/o Evernote having to lift a finger.

and it doesnt help much on an iphone or ipad.

Although the various OSs are better able to handle the same file types as opposed to 15 years ago, there still seem to be limitations. IE, try to view a flash based website on your iPad. :lol:

IN THE FUTURE LANGUAGE AS WE KNOW IT WILL GO THE WAY OF LATIN, LASERDISK, AND THE UNFORTUNATE NORTH AMERICAN BISON. we will cease communicating with humans, and learn to communicate directly to computers.

The bolded part: this is desirable?

Some days on here I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing......

Plus those bison are pretty good conversationalists.

I'll confess, there are days where I would like a bit less human communication, and would prefer to hold a conversation with a bison.

Haven't had time for the forums in a while do to a few weeks of fire drills, and this is what I come back to ...

di3it - native support for viewing and editing various file formats within all of Evernote's clients is pretty tricky, and a huge amount of work. While epub may be useful for you, others want MS Office, Open Office, mind mapping, etc.

Adding full support for these (and the many historic variations of each) into each client would really bloat out the apps. Just getting PDF support in the Windows client has been a big enough challenge.

So we'll tend to prefer to make it really easy to just launch these files in your preferred dedicated desktop app via a simple double-click instead of trying to make Evernote the universal Operating System for all file types.

• Level 5*
Haven't had time for the forums in a while do to a few weeks of fire drills, and this is what I come back to ...

We wouldn't want you to come back thinking we haven't upheld the high standards that we've become known for...

• Level 5*

What were you hoping for? A recipe for Bison soup?

lol, wow, i hit the gold mine here. that post was supposed to be cheeky. as in tongue in cheek, or bison cheek soup (i hear its to die for).

as far as opening files externally, i dont think its such a bad solution. acrobat has many features that would just be cumbersome in evernote, and as far as epub goes, it was really meant for mobile devices...seeing that evernote seemlessly opens them in iBooks, which allows for higlighting, bookmarking, search, etc, this really is an elegant solution...

on to the good parts of this thread...

Latin. yes, i am well aware that latin survives as a sort of macbethian ghost in man other languages. that was the point. but more to the point, it never really was a language unto itself, it really always was a sort of Quinta Essentia to other languages. it only survived as long as it did as a sort of elitist codex.

bison, a reference to the colloquialism "slowly going the way of the buffalo"

laserdisk...self explanatory, no...

case in point, we are communicating each to (i would say his/her, but we are all somehow genderless) own computer, preseumably we are all human, and the computer is communicating to other computers connected through the net, and then another human reads and responds, and it begins again. so we are already communicating only to computers. the point being that soon, the language as we currently understand it will become obsolete. why talk to a computer in a thousand year old script meant for, no pun intended (?) manuscripts? why not cut out "layers of obfuscation" required to transliterate my thoughts through dozens of other languages (coding languages) and back again into this or any other language (english, et. al.) ? why not just communicate directly with the computer, in a language that (will soon) be common to the computer and user, and thus all users? this may sound a little like the matrix, but that was not the impetus for the idea.

as for decaf...i suppose i should entrain my brainwaves to a more common frequency? i love it when someone feels the need to throw something like that it whenever some says something out of the ordinary. ordinary. ordinary. normalcy. oh, i suppose it is hopeless afterall.

:)

case in point, we are communicating each to (i would say his/her, but we are all somehow genderless) own computer, preseumably we are all human, and the computer is communicating to other computers connected through the net, and then another human reads and responds, and it begins again. so we are already communicating only to computers.

But... I interact with actual human beings far more often than I make posts to the Evernote forum. I interact with human beings directly almost every day. I don't expect this to change any time soon.

the point being that soon, the language as we currently understand it will become obsolete. why talk to a computer in a thousand year old script meant for, no pun intended (?) manuscripts? why not cut out "layers of obfuscation" required to transliterate my thoughts through dozens of other languages (coding languages) and back again into this or any other language (english, et. al.) ? why not just communicate directly with the computer, in a language that (will soon) be common to the computer and user, and thus all users? this may sound a little like the matrix, but that was not the impetus for the idea.

The brain is not a computer. Language does many things other than form logical postulates. There is no language a computer can understand that is sufficient for all human-to-human communication needs, and there never will be.

And I say this as someone with a BS in Comp Sci and quite a bit of computer programming experience (i.e. definitely not a luddite).

• 2 months later...

back to the general point of this thread, that maybe some people still care about.

Any idea how to replicate the Kindle feature of highlighting in an ebook and having that sync to a webpage? Obviously, amazon and evernote would work out any sort of direct integration--don't see this as the sort of thing a third party tries to navigate.

But what about trying to build off an open-platform ereader? Are there any on the market that allow highlighting? Are there any open-source ereaders for desktops or mobile devices? Any open source base code that can be repurposed?

For me an ideal workflow would be

1. read ebook on mobile device (kindle, nook are proprietary but ipad readers would work as well as desktop ones)

2. highlight like kindle highlighting -- minimal tagging or categorization in the reader, make interface clean and light.

3. syncs to evernote, with their api adn featuers etc etc; tag, categorize, etc.

4. "clipped from" url would be to a public copy of your ebook, google books if applicable, or a third party service to-be-established.

5. perhaps inlcude formal reference abilities, like zotero...

Archived