(Archived) Can EN Change Text Color When Clipping?

jrmm

Just implemented EN on Thesis blog. Everything works fine--BUT the clip function preserves the light text color and puts it on a white background--making it damned near invisible.

Is there a way to instruct EN to alter the text and/or background color when clipping from the site and pasting into visitors' notebooks?

If not, EN is useless to me. Which would be a pity.

Thanks for any help!

Here's a sample page to clip:

http://makeyourbookamovie.com/make-your ... ywood/121/

Is there a way to instruct EN to alter the text and/or background color when clipping from the site and pasting into visitors' notebooks?

In Evernote Mac and Evernote Web (I did not try other platforms), you can take the clipped note, after the fact, select all, and then change the font color to black. However, I am not sure if this can be done automatically during the clipping process itself.

In any note with HTML, you can CTRL-A, CTRL-SPACE (select all and simplify formatting) to automatically simplify/standardize the formatting. This often make text flow, fonts, colors, etc improvements to pages taken from the web. Does that help?

Thanks for the tips--but I'm afraid none of that helps.

I'm running the website; I need the text to show up in OTHER PEOPLE'S notebooks--those who visit the website. So I either find a way to instruct THEIR clipper to change the text and/or background colors, or direct their clippers to clip an alternate and unseen page (which would be a pain and would hit SEO hard)--or I stop using EN on the site. I really don't see changing the entire site's look just to make EN work...

If this capability doesn't exist, it would certainly be easy for EN to implement.

Still hoping for a fix...

• Level 5*

In your opinion it's easy to fix....

Anyway, given the I'm assuming very small sample of web sites that use light text on a white background means that there isn't a big drive to add this functionality.

True--but I'm not changing the entire site "look" because EN can't tell the difference between white and black.

I'd sooner drop EN. It's nice. It's not crucial.

• Level 5*
It's one code snippet: look for EN-specific text color designation, paste text in that color.

Code which they then have to maintain in multiple clippers/browsers/platforms.

As the awesome BnF suggests, changing your text colour seems like by far the easiest thing to do. If you don't want to make a 'simple' change, then I'm not sure why Evernote would want to.

I'm not the one looking to expand EN's user base. If they implement, they gain potentially thousands, if not tens of thousands of websites, and many more users. Not much to maintain, and I believe (could be wrong) multiple browsers are irrelevant: look for code, paste code with page; user's EN reads code, changes text display color. It's all on the EN side, so browsers and versions don't matter; they all read text color the same way.

@jrmm

What browser and Web clipper version are you using? I tried to replicate this by clipping from your site and my results where fully readable using both Chrome clipper & Firefox. We are working diligently on improving and fixing these issues so future updates should address this.

You can try:

- Check your clip styling preferences. Preserving / changing style preferences could mitigate the issue.

I'm using Firefox and Safari. Just tested again. Same thing in FF 3.6.17 and Safari 5.05 on Windows XP. EN v4.0.2 or so it says. I just downloaded v4 but canceled the install when I saw it would delete the previous (3.5?) version--I want to do a clean startup first.

Everything looks okay in the preview window--but not online or in the synced note itself. Be happy to email you copies. I tried to paste my code in here, server wouldn't let me. Don't think I have any styling preferences specified, so it must be default. Care to make a suggestion?

Have to say that even when I selected the badge I'm using now on your buttonmaker, the buttonmaker gave me a script calling up the wrong png. No idea why. So maybe there's some other glitch here? I don't see anything. I just made the button yesterday or the day before.

Emailed a copy to myself: it's black text, but has code all over it.

Thanks for taking a look!

Archived