(Archived) "A file attachment may be currently open in another applicat

mlevin77

Idea

I'm running Evernote on my 10.6 Mac. One time I tried to quit when an attachment was open in a PDF reader, and ever since then (whether anything is open or not), it says

"A file attachment may be currently open in another application." when I try to quit. How do I clear this condition??

Mike

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I would look in the directory where Evernote stores its temporary files, i.e. the place where Evernote takes the embedded PDF file, makes a temporary file out of it on your disk, and uses that to invoke whatever editor you're using. In Windows, I think that that's usually an "Attachments" directory underneath the directory where the database is kept. It should be safe to clear that directory out, and then try your operation again.

I would look in the directory where Evernote stores its temporary files, i.e. the place where Evernote takes the embedded PDF file, makes a temporary file out of it on your disk, and uses that to invoke whatever editor you're using. In Windows, I think that that's usually an "Attachments" directory underneath the directory where the database is kept. It should be safe to clear that directory out, and then try your operation again.

good idea! Anyone know where that is on a Mac? I found a folder in caches/com.evernote.Evernote which has "p276.evernote" and other files like this. Are they safe to delete?

• Level 5*

I believe most of the data is stored in your user/library/application support/evernote folder.

I wouldn't advise messing with this unless you know what you are doing.

• Level 5*

What I did on my Windows machine was this:

* find a note with an attachment

* double click on the attachment to view it (it was a .mp3, say "MySong.mp3")

* scouted around the Evernote data directory and its children to see if there was a newly created file that looked about right (I found one named "MySong.mp3.backup" in the aforementioned "Attachments" directory)

This verified the basic scenario. Because of the fact that this file is separate from the Evernote database, I can surmise that it's safe to delete (I'd shut down Evernote first). To be truly cautious, I could have copied anything I found in that directory elsewhere, then deleted it. Metrodon is right though -- take some care.

Archived