(Archived) Clutter in UI

freewizard

Idea

12 replies to this idea

Yup, you can't hide it completely, but you can make it really really narrow.

Just out of interest, what's the use case to hide it completely?

Thank you all the same!

I have multiple collection windows, each focus on one notebook and stay in different space/monitor for different context. Tags and Saved Search are rarely used for me.

Basicly I'm previous user of Notational Velocity and seek(hopefully not dream) for similar user experience ( clean UI + full keyboard ) in Evernote. :)

zX456.png

a) Is it possible to hide left column (Notebook/Tag) and editor toolbar (URL/Tag/Format) ?

On Windows you can hide it by pressing F10 or click (in the menu bar) View > Left Panel. Perhaps the shortcut works on Mac as well (don't have one at hand to try it)

Yup, you can't hide it completely, but you can make it really really narrow.

Just out of interest, what's the use case to hide it completely?

The use case is an uncluttered interface with few distractions.

Basicly I'm previous user of Notational Velocity and seek(hopefully not dream) for similar user experience ( clean UI + full keyboard ) in Evernote. :)

I have used Notational Velocity as well and think you will not find the similar user experience with Evernote. The only reason I moved to Evernote (again, after trying it for some time a year ago) is that it supports voice messages, images and a pretty good Android app. Evernote, sadly, has all kind of weird UI inconsistencies.

• Level 5*

I don't believe F10 works on a Mac - it doesn't on mine.

May make for an uncluttered interface, but would also definitely make it harder to navigate I would have thought.

Yup you are correct, Evernote gives you a large number of ways of collecting data on lots of different systems and devices. In return, you don't get the smoothness and subtlety that other applications that concentrate on one platform can offer.

Well, I understood the clean UI is not top priority for Evernote. Maybe it's time to hack the toolbars out by myself:

20110428-awgewgd92jueh2w44ykej8yc8.png

Replace /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/NoteEditorView.nib with http://d.pr/CKUO

Tested with Version 2.1.0 (142777). Backup yourself and no warranty at all... 8)

I really hate all the clutter and unnecessarily wasted screen space. Please let everything except the text entry area go away on demand. On a laptop with limited screen space, I want to go back and forth from my browser to EN editor. Give a F10 or click box to expand back to the "fully-cluttered" configuration.

Also, how about an option while in compact mode an "always on top" option. Then the EN window does not disappear when going to the browser or pdf reader for copying.

Rick

metrodon doesn't seem to get it, but I completely agree with you guys about the clutter issue in EN Mac.

In the EN Win client you can easily hide all of the panels except the Note Edit panel using F10 and F11, and then quickly toggle them back on when you need them.

I've been trying to make this point in the Evernote for MacOS 2.2 Beta 2 thread.

Evernote has not responded yet, and metrodon keeps arguing against it -- don't know why.

Archived