Feature REQUEST: bar code scanning

Mark923

Idea

Hi, I've searched the forum for this and didn't find anything, but the ability to use a barcode scanner from within Evernote would be incredible. I have several separate apps that handle this, but if Evernote had this, it would be awesome. In the works, perhaps?

Mark

37 replies to this idea

Like Shannonkish I am being forced to change from Springpad and use Springpad's mobile app barcode scanning all the time.  I use it to scan book barcodes when I see a book that I want to read or buy, or sometimes to scan a product that I want to remember for later.  I simply scan the barcode and it produces a note and description with a picture of the product or book.   It's hard to believe that Evernote doesn't have this capability, and everyone raves about Evernote being the best.

A barcode scanning ability in Evernote would be a win-win for Evernote and their users. For Evernote, barcode scanning would allow Evernote to offer links to online retailers who offer the product associated with the barcode, and Evernote could insert their own affiliate links into the links. (This is similar to how Pinterest monetizes their website).

For Evernote users, barcode scanning connected to Evernote is brilliant. Many shoppers at physical retailers might see products they like but aren't ready to purchase, and can simply snap pictures of the barcodes via their phone's evernote app, for them to refer back to from the convenience of their home or office computer. This experience is superior to barscanning apps on phones that are only useful for immediate price comparison, but not for saving and referring to later.

A barcode scanned into Evernote could trigger an Evernote plugin that creates a pop-up that appears when the highlighted barcode is clicked, and showing online shopping options for that product. Any barcodes that Evernote recognizes can be highlighted a certain color to indicate that the barcode is recognized and that shopping links are available.

This will give Evernote a great way to monetize even their free users. In fact, Evernote could consider giving free users pro-rated upload credits based on the amount of affiliate revenue they generate for Evernote via their shopping from barcode links. This will incentivize customers to shop via Evernote through which they get Evernote upload credit.

Evernote, you are free to thank me for my brilliant idea!

• Level 5

Hmm.

• Barcode input in the search field would be nice to bring up notes with that barcode
  • The addition of a QR code generated in the Copy note link in Evernote would be handy. Then lots of barcode apps could launch a specific Evernote via the evernote:/// URL.

I'd like to see the barcode scanning capabilities added for a more mundane reason:  spouse and I have a shared 'household' folder that contains things like recipes, notes, grocery shopping lists, etc...  it would be great to be able to scan barcode and have evernote ask if 'would you like to add this product to a note? (like a shopping list)..

• Level 5

There's a lot of directions for this, some not so easy.  In particular there's a tricky bit about turning a barcode into content.

The problems there are that a lot of that functionality relies on content databases which are not free, though they may look so.  Frequently there's a monitizing angle which would be bypassed by an Evernote client scraping data in a look-up query.

Also some barcodes are localized/regionalized.  Or at least specialized.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code#Other_variations

So one use case is to scan a bar-code and have it paste the results of a resulting internet query into a new note.

Another more bite size one I would suggest, and is more in line with my needs is to have it perform a simple search in Evernote based on the translated barcode.

So if I have the numeric form of a EAN/UPC code in a note, and scan that barcode, EN would merely do a text/numeric search for on notes I already have.

It would also be handy to be able to highlight content and have it turned into a barcode, light selecting bold or suberscript, but a barcode format instead.

So an EAN/UPC, ISBN, etc formatted number would become a graphical barcode in snippet/thumbnail view and when printed/exported.

A snippet of text would become a 2d barcode (likely QR code).

So you could very simply jump to a note or set of source notes from the printed code from the note, or an existing barcode on a product or book.

If EN decided to add license or paid database sources, the barcode scan function could trigger a pop-up query to decide if to search in Evernote on the scanned barcode, or search/lookup online (posting results into a new note), or to just store the barcode a new note (envisioning that like the URL/Hyperlink where you can right click and choose edit, after saving from the edit, the barcode representation would change to match the alphanumeric source it's based on.)

While enhanced functionality would be great, could Evernote at least add barcode recognition to the paid product and make the barcode value copyable (sort of an enhancement to the existing OCR)?

I have been searching all over for an app that will integrate menu planning with pantry inventory. Makes sense right? I just read an article suggesting evernote to store recipes and plan weekly menus. If there were a bar code scanner it would be really easy to keep an inventory of what is already in my pantry, assisting me when shopping and planning meals. 

THIS would be amazing. This is the reason I switched from Evernote to Springpad. Springpad had this capability and this is the feature I used most frequently! Sadly, Springpad is being closed and I am being forced back over here to Evernote. 

However, IME, having the barcode/sku often isn't all that helpful, unless you are doing the aforementioned price comparison.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I was about to switch to Evernote from Springpad, but the lack of barcode scanning is keeping me from doing so.

You may not think it's helpful, but I do. Here's why:

Earlier today, I was out browsing at Barnes & Noble. While browsing, I often take note of books I'm interesting in possibly reading later. I've done this with my smartphones for years. I wanted to add some more books to my list, so I opened Evernote. It appeared that my options were to create a new note and type out the title and author of the book into the note or I could take a picture of the cover and add that as a note. With Springpad, I have the option to scan the barcode. After scanning the barcode, Springpad creates a note that contains a picture of the cover, the title and author of the book, a summary of the book, publication date, price, a link to reviews on goodreads, and a link to Amazon for more information or to purchase. I can then add the note to the notebook entitled "Books to Read." That's so much information easily gathered for me so that I can learn more about the book later when I'm at home at my desktop.

So what do you think I did? Duh. Of course, I used Springpad. Creating notes like that is easy and effortless.

Strangely I never got into Springpad's capabilities and started using EN if I had known about the barcode scanning I too would be scrambling now. Instead I will give you my reasons I hope EN adds barcode and QR scanning.

1. Shopping list / pantry list groceries
  2. Hobby tools you own and need (knitting needles, table saw, embroidery machine, drum sander etc)
  3. Hobby supplies you own and need (wool, fabric, walnut slab etc)
  4. Husband's collections he owns and needs (music, 1,000's of hot wheel cars etc)
  5. Medicine products
  6. Gift ideas that you can't buy just then because the person is with you but you don't want to forget

Those are some of the ways I'd use it.

Yes! Those are similar things that I used it for. I primarily used it for books, but every now and then, I found some product that I wanted more details for or wanted to see if I could find a better price online, but didn't have the time to look it up at that moment. 

I'm another former Springpad user. Primarily I used the barcode scanner, and used it a lot. Whenever I saw a product or book I wanted to remember, for whatever reason (gifts, future purchase, recommendations for friends, etc.) I always scanned the barcode. 

For years, I've avoided Evernote because it lacks this basic and incredibly useful feature. Now that Springpad is going away, I came hoping to see this functionality was going to be added. Disappointingly, it doesn't look promising. So, I'll continue my search for other note/organization apps that include it.

Springpad may be going away, but I will continue to not use Evernote because it does not have a barcode scanning feature.

I actually stopped using Springpad awhile ago and switched to Google Keep. While Google Keep does not have a barcode scanning feature, Google Goggles works as a barcode scanner and pulls up much of the same relevant information that Springpad would pull up, such as a link to the Google Books page for a particular book. I can then easily save that page to Google Keep.

It's not as nice a solution as Springpad, but it will do since Evernote simply does not care about this feature or the number of users who are asking for it and who would benefit from it.

Barcode scanning I'd find useful for selections. Example: I scan a product and it is added in category "shopping".
So its very easy to have lots of products in Evernote and make an shoppinglist with them simply scan a barcode.

Hello barcodes and Evernote lovers !

I've created an app to solve this exact problem you're talking about : Barcodes for Evernote.

You can download it on Google Play for free : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desaxed.barcodesforevernote

As of today, it's only available on Android. However, if you want an iPhone version, please upvote this issue :

Cheers !

Nathan - Desaxed Studios

• Level 5*

Oddly enough, I have a recipe for SPam and baked bean pie (it's a New England thing) from my mother. I pull it out every so often, when the occasion seems auspicious. It's been a couple of years, though, hmmm...

We don't currently have anything that does this.

What do you want Evernote to do with the scanned barcode? I.e. what happens after we extract the encoded number/string from the barcode?

That wasn't my request but I can think of one thing...product comparison.

There are apps who, upon scanning, compare local prices for products in stores...what about storing that information into a note?

EN, as you know isn't focused on product comparison & I suspect this functionality wouldn't be high on their list of priorities, if on the list at all. And, as you know, there are apps that already are focused on this functionality. I would suggest if the app you're using allows you to email the results, to email them directly to your EN account. Otherwise, take a screen shot & email that.

I understand all the comments, and at some point, EN needs to prioritize functionalities. However, I thought it would be handy because I collect everything, and when I do want to scan products, either for product comparisons, wines that I have had and like, or for gift ideas, I always think of Evernote first for storing this information.

But yes, the suggestion to email or share what Ive scanned with another app would be good as well. Thanks for the feedback!

However, I thought it would be handy because I collect everything, and when I do want to scan products, either for product comparisons, wines that I have had and like, or for gift ideas, I always think of Evernote first for storing this information.

!

I certainly understand this, since I tend to do this as well. However, IME, having the barcode/sku often isn't all that helpful, unless you are doing the aforementioned price comparison. IE, if I Google on 3106460251, I do get a few somewhat helpful links. But really, they tend to be either false positives or portals. OTOH, if I Google on "Udderly Smooth", the number of helpful hits is dramatically increased. So you could take a photo of the bar code & add that to your Evernote note, for future reference. But I'm guessing (at least for now) you're going to have more luck finding the same product using a photo of the product, including the exact name. Also, IME, the photo is the more helpful item, normally. Can't tell you how many times I've walked up to someone at a store, when I can't find something & showed them a photo on my phone of something & said, "Do you have this?"

However, I thought it would be handy because I collect everything, and when I do want to scan products, either for product comparisons, wines that I have had and like, or for gift ideas, I always think of Evernote first for storing this information.

!

But I'm guessing (at least for now) you're going to have more luck finding the same product using a photo of the product, including the exact name. Also, IME, the photo is the more helpful item, normally. Can't tell you how many times I've walked up to someone at a store, when I can't find something & showed them a photo on my phone of something & said, "Do you have this?"

I've done that too. I have a scanner app that, upon scanning the barcode, pulls up a photo, name, store, price and where I can purchase. I save it within this app, but I'd really rather have EN, and not multiple apps that do some of this and some of that.

I checked my various barcode scanning apps (they all have their pros and cons, so I need all of them) and the only one that has a 'share' function is ShopSavvy. So, I emailed it to my EN account, and it came up perfectly (see attachment). Soooooo, it would be great if I could share with Evernote as one of my options, to go along with Facebook, Twitter or email. But now that I've tooled around with this, I can live with this extra step.

I've made it work for me by placing the ShopSavvy app right next to my Evernote widget so it's all good.

post-25868-131906072458_thumb.png

What do you want Evernote to do with the scanned barcode? I.e. what happens after we extract the encoded number/string from the barcode?

I was going to post a request for that feature too.

There are some iPhone apps dedicated to do just that and that go a little further and provide links to webstores (e.g., Amazon) and also get price comparisons, etc. But what I would use it in Evernote would be just to get product information. For books, what I do now is just to take a snapshot of the ISBN and look it up later, but I have currently the need to get info for other products... not just books.

The feature is present in a competitor product: springpad.

I really would love this feature to be able to scan bar codes, In my job i am using evernote to record equipment that i install for customers, they all have barcodes, so i am using my phone to do this, it works as i use the third party app to scan the barcode to get the serial number value, it copies it to the clipboard automatically, i then have to exit the app, then go into evernote and paste under that customer, like i said it works, but it would be so nice if one fothe options in the note was to read a bar code and past the scan, like the camera button to add a picture. The syncing ability back to the pc in the office is awsome as they get the information right away when i update a note.

. . . I checked my various barcode scanning apps (they all have their pros and cons, so I need all of them) and the only one that has a 'share' function is ShopSavvy. . .

ShopSavvy is a great app -- it scans multiple formats and even provides local stores that sell the product. It then provides store details like address, phone, and even links to Google Maps with directions from your current location to the store.

Evernote, it would be way cool if you would integrate with ShopSavvy so that they could send the results directly to Evernote.

Thanks.

. . . I checked my various barcode scanning apps (they all have their pros and cons, so I need all of them) and the only one that has a 'share' function is ShopSavvy. . .

ShopSavvy is a great app -- it scans multiple formats and even provides local stores that sell the product. It then provides store details like address, phone, and even links to Google Maps with directions from your current location to the store.

Evernote, it would be way cool if you would integrate with ShopSavvy so that they could send the results directly to Evernote.

Thanks.

For now, using ShopSavvy and sharing to Evernote works great. My SPAM example is how it sends it to EN. The ShopSavvy app stores all my searches, so if I do need to go back and get an address or other info, it's there. I don't need EN and the scan app to duplicate that info.

BTW, I happen to have a limited edition collector's Spam container that I use as a pencil holder. It was the quickest find for a bar code. The regular Spam info came back, but the collector can is why I have it. I haven't had fried Spam sandwiches in about 30 years.

I use the Catch app to collect IMEI info, then copy them into a spreadsheet for stock records at work. It just translates the barcode into text.

Thinking further, perhaps adding a web search option to "selected text" context menu would be useful.

Another reason to request it is to get around the fact that iPhones don't have NFC. If there was an alternative way to produce bar codes, say with a partnering start-up like sticky bits, then have those location reminders (barcodes stuck in convenient places) open up relevant notes, task lists, etc, the bar code integration would be very handy. I'm especially suprised in the task management world how few tools are meant to integrate with one's chosen habits. Routines and tasks, sure. But if you have trigger objects throughout your day, people would make a habit of using Evernote to enhance their activities, even for the subconscious actions.

One use that I am thinking about right now is that it would be handy to be able to use a barcode scanner or a link to another app, such as Shopsavvy, to create an inventory of my belongs. This could be used for new purchases by scanning the UPC on the box. This could be used to create a catalog of books if there were a way to get the name of the book and the author from scanning the UPC. (not sure if that is possible)

Basically, I was just thinking about how to create a home inventory. I guess right now the best thing is to use the camera feature? but would love to be able to get text information from the bar codes or online qr code links?

• Level 5*

One use that I am thinking about right now is that it would be handy to be able to use a barcode scanner or a link to another app, such as Shopsavvy, to create an inventory of my belongs. This could be used for new purchases by scanning the UPC on the box. This could be used to create a catalog of books if there were a way to get the name of the book and the author from scanning the UPC. (not sure if that is possible)

Basically, I was just thinking about how to create a home inventory. I guess right now the best thing is to use the camera feature? but would love to be able to get text information from the bar codes or online qr code links?

hi. welcome to the forums! i haven't heard anything about evernote working on this.

i think the camera would be a good start. go through everything and take pictures. once you upload all of that, you could go to the various websites clip the product descriptions (ebernote web clipper) and merge notes, or copy/paste the pages into notes. this wouldn't take too long.

Archived