(Archived) How would you use EverNote for...?

I think it would be great to see what solutions would people come up with for organizing things on evernote, instead of just showing how they use it, to give ideas to others on how to organize something.

For example, I have been trying to use EverNote to archive my paintings (I am a painter).

After I finish a painting I take a picture and create a file where I add the title, cost etc... next I send it to the gallery and wait for it to be sold, sometimes if a gallery doesnt sell it i send it to another gallery.

I wanted to use evernote for all this, to know what paintings were sold, and witch aren´t sold, what paintings are in one or the other gallery, and finaly, when a painting is sold, i note who bought it what gallery sold it etc...

note sure how to do all this with tags folders etc... in a simple way.

any ideas?

Here's how I would start.

I'd have a single notebook for the paintings.

Put the photo, title, price, etc into a note. Create a tag by gallery & add that tag. I'd also create a "sold" tag.

If/when a painting is moved from one gallery to another, remove the original gallery tag & add the new one. SInce I'm pretty anal, I'd probably also note that it was in Gallery 1 from mm/dd/yy to mm/dd/yy just for future reference. But probably wouldn't use a tag for that.

When the painting sells, apply the "sold" tag & add any incidental notes such as price & purchaser.

If you need to find all paintings that are out, regardless of where they are, just search the notebook with:

-tag:sold

If you want to find items that were sold, search the notebook with:

tag:sold

If you want to find the paintings that are currently at Gallery a:

tag:"gallery a" -tag:sold

Do you think is a good idea to create nested Tags for this?

Like:

TAGS:

-Paintings

--Galeries

---galery1

---galery2

---galery3

--Sold

Too bad we cant create folders to organize tags instead of tags nested in other tags.

Here's how I would start.

I'd have a single notebook for the paintings.

Put the photo, title, price, etc into a note. Create a tag by gallery & add that tag. I'd also create a "sold" tag.

If/when a painting is moved from one gallery to another, remove the original gallery tag & add the new one. SInce I'm pretty anal, I'd probably also note that it was in Gallery 1 from mm/dd/yy to mm/dd/yy just for future reference. But probably wouldn't use a tag for that.

When the painting sells, apply the "sold" tag & add any incidental notes such as price & purchaser.

If you need to find all paintings that are out, regardless of where they are, just search the notebook with:

-tag:sold

If you want to find items that were sold, search the notebook with:

tag:sold

If you want to find the paintings that are currently at Gallery a:

tag:"gallery a" -tag:sold

Great answer. Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think is a good idea to create nested Tags for this?

Like:

TAGS:

-Paintings

--Galeries

---galery1

---galery2

---galery3

--Sold

Yes, that's probably what I would do. Sometimes, after working with a particular use case, you tend to find other workflows that are better. But yes, I think I'd organize the tags this way.

Too bad we cant create folders to organize tags instead of tags nested in other tags.

I think most people tend to have a mental block about tags vs subfolders/notebooks. I know it took a bit of adjusting on my part, when I first started using Evernote for anything more than archiving emails. But I've worked this through more than once & really, there is nothing (IMO & IME) that sub notebooks/folders can do that tags cannot. And the reverse is NOT true. Tags provide the functionality of sub folders/notebooks (I won't revisit that again, since it's been discussed to death already on this board) but are more flexible. Please search on posts by jefito with the words 'red ball', to find some of these previous discussions.

I was just testing the way you sugested to organize the paintings and it just works great!

Now I have a new way to organize everything without confusing and long spreadsheets!

Thanks!

Great! You're welcome!

Archived