(Archived) Evernote works on OSX Lion !!

Kay I.

Idea

Apple obviously managed to fix the bug that prevented Evernote from running smooth on OS X Lion in their latest Developer Preview 2 Update (15.05.11).

Evernote is up and running !

PS: Maybe, to some of you guys who posted like crazy even after the first Lion beta release, it now makes a little more sense why a software company shouldn't spend effort in OS beta support ;)

14 replies to this idea

up : yes. and it's good news.

but for me, no sync. When i look at the account info, it tells me that i do not have any "credit" left in the cycle, although i have an opened account until next november 2011 :(

Is it the same for you ?

thx

I can deal without the clipper, but can't even create a basic note right now, which is crippling me. I checked RoaringApps list, they had it as compatible but maybe not so much... Hopefully as soon as 2.3 is out, the issues will resolve. App Store is so overloaded now, can't check, DLing from the evernote page gives 2.2 it seems..

And its not just Evernote..

Ah the joys of a new OS release.

Update. Uninstalling EN from Applications and reinstalling from a clean download seems to work, sort of.

2.2.3 is running now but is very laggy. Having similar issues with other apps so I wonder if some kind of background update is kicking in after install..

Evernote does NOT work in Lion. However it does seem to work fine in Snow Leopard. So, if Evernote is a major tool for your productivity, you might hold off on upgrading to Lion until Evernote developers figure out why their scrolling and other other issues don't work. As an alternative, you might try Circus Ponies Notebook v3. It's an excellent, and in many ways, superior tool to Evernote and does run fine in Lion.

@kkathman - while I personally do NOT like Lion, and on the one machine I have upgraded, have basically turned off all features I don't like, in order to make it as much like Snow Leopard as possible (can't revert to Snow Leopard), I think your pumping of Circu Ponies' "Notebook" is WAY off the mark.

Notebook is NOTHING like Evernote in oh so many ways. It is completely different, and does NOT do what Evernote does such as syncing to "The Cloud" and across different platforms. There is also no phone or iPad version of Notebook. Searching, tagging, etc is nothing like Evernote.

Evernote DOES work in Lion, despite the fact that I hate Lion's "greyness", and I completely fail to see what all the fuss is about with the full screen mode - a maximised window is just fine for me.

So - your comments about it NOT working under Lion are wrong, and your pumping of "Notebook" is way out of line, perhaps with an agenda? Do you work for Circus Ponies, perhaps?

Evernote is a business, we're here to make money, yada yada , blah blah blah.

That said, we love competition. It's healthy. It drives development. I've never been of the opinion that we should rail on people for pointing out alternatives. If Circus Ponies works better for them, I do tend to try to drag out of the user (as you've done) exactly what they like better, rather than just a blanket "they just are, so nyah, nyah."

You can keep techies arguing all night by saying something like: "Wordpress/Tumblr/Blogger: Go!"

I'm just proud to be associated with a company that's at the root of one of those conversations.

Seems silly, but I'm hesitating to move to Lion because of the fresh glitches associated with a new OS. Especially with Evernote. I use it often enough that I want to be 100% sure it works smoothly. I'm looking forward to the new interface change, though not sure why (as I've read) it's lost it's green??? Why go grey? Green is EN's brand, not Apple's, do what you need.

As for competition driving development, I agree. One of the things I used to LOVE about Springpad is it's beautiful customizable interface. But, as pretty as it is to look at (and believe me, as a branding and design manager, I keep checking it out) it just falls short of what I want to use it for. Evernote simply is organized better and I love how it works. I just wished it looked better. But's a case of spending time developing function over form, I get that. But if that percentage is 60/40 or 70/30 function to form, GUI shouldn't be completely ignored either. Customization is a wonderfully personal and huge value to me. I love Evernote, but I would also love to give it my personal touch, as much time as I spend in EN, it should begin to take on a little bit of 'me'. ;)

Surely I didn't mean to catch flack for suggesting an alternative, but the fact remains that Evernote absolutely has problems under Lion. That's documented and I've sent screenshots and descriptions.

While Evernote and NoteBook are two different applications, I would hesitate to say they are ENTIRELY different, as one said. Each has very similar capabilities and answer a very specific niche market. Evernote's flexibility is the capability to update from multiple platforms, which is extremely beneficial, but it's a feature and that's all. NoteBook's automatic indexing is an excellent feature, too. Features "poker" is always subjective. The fact is that both applications design to do very similar things, so, to say they are entirely different, might be an overzealous remark.

The main issue which plagues (at least) my Mac is that scrolling notes or the contents in the area results in gibberish and smeared output. While I could use the web version, the drag/drop of things into a note can't be done unless done through the App (correct me if I'm mistaken on that). It's pretty irritating when you attach a PDF or have a long dialog in a note, but when you try to scrolling, it's nothing but a gibberish mess.

It does very well on my MacBookPro running Snow Leopard however, which could be an alternative for me until the app is fixed in Lion. My remarks remain the same...if Evernote is a major productivity tool for you on your Mac, be careful about upgrading to Lion.

So it seems that, according to the developers, this was a very real problem. However, here is the solution as sent to me by the support team:

"We believe that the latest Mac pre-release version may address the issue that you reported. Please perform the following steps:

Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar

Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash

Reboot your Mac

Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/pr ... 169166.zip

When you open our download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.

Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote."

What may also work is to just uninstall and re-install the program. It seems to be working fine now, so enjoy!

So it seems that, according to the developers, this was a very real problem. However, here is the solution as sent to me by the support team:

"We believe that the latest Mac pre-release version may address the issue that you reported. Please perform the following steps:

Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar

Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash

Reboot your Mac

Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/pr ... 169166.zip

When you open our download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.

Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote."

What may also work is to just uninstall and re-install the program. It seems to be working fine now, so enjoy!

Glad that you have it working again. We'll keep working on these issues, I think we finally have a pretty good handle on them.

thanks!

Archived