(Archived) Evernote as the best GTD tool

shahram

Idea

Hi!

If you ever look for a good Getting Things Done tool, Evernote is the one and only tool. I have tested most of the tools for both PC and MAC and evernote is the most effective one. of course it lacks some functionality compared to other. At the same time it is the simplicity that is the key in having a trusted tool and trusted place to put things.

Wrote a short blog about it att http://neseco.com/?p=154

Best of luck and thank you for a great tool.

//Shahram

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I agree with many of your comments, however...

The most obvious problem with Evernote as a GTD tool is its inability to schedule anything in the future.

Currently it is very good at "What I did", but not at "What I will do".

Evernote has repeatedly said that they hope to add a "Due Date" column sometime. But until that happens, Evernote is crippled as an effective GTD program. The lack of a Due Date very effectively hamstrings 3rd-party developers from creating a GTD link to Evernote.

My GTD solution was to "jailbreak" Evernote and use the Created Date column as the the Due Date column. The drawback is the top of the Note List page gets cluttered with stuff scheduled way out into the future and the more relevant current stuff gets shoved down past the visible viewing area. To get around that problem, I use a Saved Search to jump to the transition point (from the future to today to the past).

Hi!

Agree 100% with your comments. My solution is to have a nested notebook with dates.

Something like:

January:

Inside these notebooks that are under Jan. I have put all notes for future use. This is very much like the David Allen solution. However, moving, re-arranging and searching is just great.

good luck,

Shahram

My GTD solution was to "jailbreak" Evernote and use the Created Date column as the the Due Date column. The drawback is the top of the Note List page gets cluttered with stuff scheduled way out into the future and the more relevant current stuff gets shoved down past the visible viewing area. To get around that problem, I use a Saved Search to jump to the transition point (from the future to today to the past).

JB,

Being fairly new to EN, this doesn't quite make sense. I am using Egretlist (on the iphone) at the moment but having something on the Mac to do everything would be great. Can you explain in 'numpty' terms, how you do such a "Saved Search"

Regards

Gareth

• Level 5

JB,

Being fairly new to EN, this doesn't quite make sense. I am using Egretlist (on the iphone) at the moment but having something on the Mac to do everything would be great. Can you explain in 'numpty' terms, how you do such a "Saved Search"

Regards

Gareth

Sorry, but the saved search trick I use won't work on other programs like Egretlist.

Also I use Windows and do not know how Macs save searches.

Thanks, what is the process for a Windows search as I can have a play.

Happy that saved searches can't be created in Egretlist, but Egretlist imports EN searches so they show up in the application and can be applied.

Regards

Archived