(Archived) Storing Maps - Dropbox or Evernote? Or both?

I was wondering if anyone could help me compare storing maps in Dropbox versus Evernote for access on the iPhone while enroute to your destination, and which one you would recommend.

I'm thinking of doing both, just because Dropbox will seems better at file synchronization, but Evernote will let me tag the note for easy retrieval plus I can add directions to the note as well. I think my conflict is the fact that I generally download the image file to my HD first, and I get a warm fuzzy feeling by having it there versus having to go into Evernote to view it. If that makes sense.

If you want to search and browse and view thumbnails (etc.), then storing the maps as PDFs in Evernote makes sense. If you just have a set of files that happen to be maps, and you want to just keep those in sync on your different computers, then Dropbox would work well. I think of Dropbox as more about managing "files" while Evernote is more about content and notes and memories and such.

• Level 5*

I tend to put stuff that I'm going to need to search for in Evernote - whereas stand out one off items work just as well in Dropbox. In reality though, everything pretty much ends up in Evernote.

If I know I'm going to really need/want access to something, I put it in both. CYA. If, for some reason, I can't get to it in one app, I can the other. Also, everything that goes into Dropbox also normally goes into Evernote. (The exception is when I'm transferring programs between computers, so I don't have to use a thumb drive.)

I tend to not keep too many things in Dropbox. I have a free account & normally only use about 1/3 of that. IMO, when you start filling up Dropbox, it's a PITA to try to find exactly what you're looking for, unless you're very careful about creating accurate folder & file names.

I think my conflict is the fact that I generally download the image file to my HD first, and I get a warm fuzzy feeling by having it there versus having to go into Evernote to view it. If that makes sense.

I have to admit I'm probably Queen of replication. :D Over the years, I've found it's not unusual to load a backup tape/disk/whatever & find it doesn't work for whatever reason. Or the restore program doesn't work under your new OS. Or whatever. So I tend to also keep copies of important files/photos/documents/etc on my hard drive, too. Even if they are in Evernote. But as you mentioned, the nifty thing about EN is you can add notes. For work, I often include scripts/quick & dirty programs in Evernote with additional notes. Makes finding the script/program again MUCH easier than having to come up with a fairly descriptive program name & then having to review the code to make sure it does what I think it does. This also allows me to keep the work computers from getting too cluttered b/c I can delete scripts/programs that I doubt I'll ever use again, while keeping the code handy, just...in...case... :)

Archived