(Archived) Syncronization Error

I have Evernote installed on my laptop and on desktop. I am having difficulty syncronizing from my laptop. I regularly syncronize the desktop with no errors. Just now I got this error:

11:13 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=BAD_DATA_FORMAT parameter="Tag.name"

What is particularly odd is that it WILL syncronize once in a while on my laptop. What can I do?

Thanks for your help with this!

What version of the Windows application are you using?

I'm guessing (from the error message) that you somehow created a tag with a comma in the name. (E.g. a tag named "Paris, TX"). If that's the case, I think you can fix this problem by renaming the tag to remove the comma. If so, can you let us know how you created this tag? E.g. was this imported from an Evernote 2.2.1 database, or did you make the tag name in the Windows GUI, etc.? (This is a bug in our app either way...)

Thanks

I am using Evernote 3.0.0.594 (29654)

*** OK, I found the problem. I somehow created a Tag Name with the "To Do" check box in the tag name. I don't know how I did it. I just deleted it and I syncronized fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to find the problem

As a software engineer I find it a serious issue when a commercial product accepts input -- and in some cases generates the input itself -- that causes failure. Here's my log:

14:56 0% Authenticating user "rpfarris"

14:56 0% Connecting to preview.evernote.com

14:56 0% TException: EDAM processing error: Message length exceeded: 687874048

14:56 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s

I had this problem for almost two months and had given up on Evernote. I had reported this to the "Report a Problem" Help Menu and hadn't gotten a reply. With no synchronization Evernote is worthless.

But I happened to find this topic today and noticed that it was possible that note titles could cause synchronization failure. This is crazy! If there is a potential problem (and it's obvious that dengberg knows this exists) in input it should have been fixed long before beta. It is a fundamental design principle of UI to catch that kind of problem as early as possible, not at some time later -- like an hour later during synchronization. That sucks.

Evernote should generate a notice when the title is first generated if it contains invalid characters. Period. That's the job of the UI programmer. Not only that, the sync programmer should do some defensive programming and check for invalid characters before the synchronization starts.

On top of that, what idio^H^H^H^Hintern decided that the log entry I included above is appropriate for an invalid character in the input? :)

There. Now I feel a lot better. Obviously you guys have plenty of marketing types. You might plan on putting some architects on your staff so that they can keep a hard eye on the code before you release it.

-- Rick

rpfarris -

As I noted in my reply "this is a bug in our app either way". That's why we'd like to know how to reproduce your bug so that we can make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks for helping us to test the beta.

Dave

Archived