(Archived) How to navigate the GUI ?

Mata Hari

Idea

I use Evernote but cannot see any navigation buttons, f ex go to previous, go to next, history (which notes I visited)

Without such tools it is not possible to use Evernotes since it tends to grow large with many notes.

Can you give me a link in a helpfile ?

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Not to be able to search again without manually saving, I have never seen this before, and I do not see any advantage. Kindly explain what is the point with this kind of search ?

Searches can be complex. Saved searches make it easier to run.

• notebook:Politics "Moammar Gaddafi" -tag:"Gaddafi Muammar" -tag:x created:20110301 -created:20110408

As you can see from other comments on this forum, there is no overwhelming market push to re-write Evernote's code for Windows, Mac, Web, and mobile devices just to have a back key. Some people might like it, but it is not a necessity. I would much prefer the engineering time be devoted to other issues that have a higher priority.

It seems as if there is no "wish list" by the users, that Ever Note is perfect
Check out this forum thread for suggestions:
http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22430#p96568

If it would not work online , it is just a very ordinary text editor. Would you still use it ?

Hardly. Syncing with the EN servers indexes my PDFs & my images. However, yes, if EN were nothing more than an ordinary text editor, I would use it no more than I do Notepad. (Like, never.)

What makes EN usefull is that you can access it online and you have thus no need to backup.

Tell that to someone with local (non-sync'd) notebooks. If you have no local notebooks, you may not want to backup. Or if your EN database is small. My EN database is 8 gigs. If it gets munged tomorrow, I'd really prefer to not have to spend many hours downloading all my notes.

I don't know who they are. Is there a guarantee that the online EN will work for EVER as the name Ever Note implies

There are no guarantees in life other than the proverbial death & taxes. However, with the EN desktop & the export to html function, I figure if I have to migrate away from EN, it's probably going to be easier than when I had to migrate away from my previous note apps. Every man for himself, however.

Well, you don't know what you are missing. All you need is a Back Button, and you will reach NIRVANA !! yes, NIRVANA !

Ah...if only Nirvana were so easily achieved...

Well, One Note is for Windows only (don't you know that ?)

Metrodon is Mac. I don't know if he/she uses PC. So perhaps he/she is not aware of this...you did post this in the Mac forum, you know.

It seems you only have a tiny bit of a grasp of what EN can do. Keep reading the board & you will learn that it is very powerful.

Evernote is not primarily designed to be used in a browser, the browser is just one of many options you have for accessing your data.

Well, the easy online facility of EN is the reason I have decided to give this a serious try. What is your motif to use EN and become a Premium user ?

If it would not work online , it is just a very ordinary text editor. Would you still use it ?

What makes EN usefull is that you can access it online and you have thus no need to backup.

You can sync it with your IPAD or IPHONE or even PC etc. Just as you mentioned you do.

Yet a backup would be still advisable I think, one never knows if the EN team just quits irresponsibly...

I don't know who they are. Is there a guarantee that the online EN will work for EVER as the name Ever Note implies

I don't need a back button.

Well, you don't know what you are missing. All you need is a Back Button, and you will reach NIRVANA !! yes, NIRVANA !

If these 'limitations' are causing you such problems, can I ask why you are not using one of the other wonderful applications that you mentioned - Onenote or Circus Pony?

Well, One Note is for Windows only (don't you know that ?)

Circus Pony: I am just testing it; anybody else has experienced this ?

• Level 5
It is obvious that many of the EN users are not interested in improvements for EN, they are happy with EN as it is, and all my ideas seem to them if not insane, more or less none-sense.

Based on the feedback in this forum, it is obvious that many of the EN users are interested in improvements for EN.

They just don't see the back key concept as a priority.

• Level 5*

I'm a Premium user, have been for a couple of years I guess. I use Evernote on a Mac, iPhone, iPad and the web.

Lots of us want improvements - this is a fantastic forum for people to suggest (and DEMAND!!) changes and improvements and he Evernote technical staff read every post on here.

Evernote is not primarily designed to be used in a browser, the browser is just one of many options you have for accessing your data.

I don't need a back button.

If these 'limitations' are causing you such problems, can I ask why you are not using one of the other wonderful applications that you mentioned - Onenote or Circus Pony?

It is obvious that many of the EN users are not interested in improvements for EN, they are happy with EN as it is, and all my ideas seem to them if not insane, more or less none-sense.

Is METRODON free user or paying ?

It took me quite a while to explain what I mean by a Back Key, I had to explain this also to the EN team. But the idea seemed bizarr also to the support team.

In spite of the fact that EN is primarily intended to use in a browser...and all browsers have a Back Key ... EN does not make use of them.

There are some limitations to EN which I am trying to bring out explicitly

If it is such a complication to edit EN code, then it is written in the wrong code.

I know no multinote program that has no Back key. One Note has it, all browsers have it, Circusponnies has it ; why not EN ?

The online EN should be integrated with the browser, and since any browser has a Back Key, why does it not work with EN. It seems that EN in Chrome would work that way ?

I am surprized that there are those who prefer the saved searches instead of a History Browser

It seems as if there is no "wish list" by the users, that Ever Note is perfect

The named "saved searches" method is another strange feature of EN. I would expect searches to be saved automatically, not manually. At least the last search should be saved automatically until a new search term is entered. As it is now, you cannot search twice the same term unless you save it manually.

Not to be able to search again without manually saving, I have never seen this before, and I do not see any advantage. Kindly explain what is the point with this kind of search ?

How do you navigate among hundreds of notes ? how do you know which notes you visited ?

Tags, keywords, accurate titles, etc. I have no need to know which notes I "visited."

A History Browser would be of much more practical use and would be easy to implement.

I do think at times it would be nice to have a back button on the search bar b/c I sometimes switch between two "views" of notes. But I don't know how difficult that would be to implement (nor do you) or even if it would be a high priority, should EN decide they want to implement it.

• Level 5*

A History Browser would be of much more practical use and would be easy to implement.

Who else agrees ? who does not ?

No thanks. The search engine, tags, and saved searches work fine for me.

Me too.

• Level 5

No thanks. The search engine, tags, and saved searches work fine for me.

A History Browse buttom is elementary, but it seems that the Forum here is not needing it

Tags or search cannot replace a History Browser, nor Note History.

I also have sent feedback to EverNote team, they are not going to implement the idea since there is no such need

They think the Note History is best.

It is only accounting programs (economics) that have such functionality.

Note History is not what I need. I do not see any use of it since I am automatically backing up all my Hard Disk on my mac (Time Machine), so for me it is of no use.

What I mean is a History buttom just like in any browser.

How do you navigate among hundreds of notes ? how do you know which notes you visited ?

• Level 5*

You can get to the history from the View menu - I'm not sure how not having a button is a "serious drawback"?

Not having history at all would be a serious drawback in my world.

Archived