(Archived) Emailed image didn't make it into Evernote

I emailed an image to Evernote and ran into a few problems:

1) The emails took a long time to actually make it into Evernote. I sent the email with the image and then followed it up with 2 test emails and a couple hours later none of them were in my notebook. I checked again about 4 hours after emailing and they are there, but I ran into problem 2 below...

2) The email with the image was empty in Evernote. The text only emails came in fine. I was using Outlook 2003 when I sent the email and the body of the email only contained a pasted screenshot. The screenshot was pasted directly into the email, not an attachment. Also, I have Outlook setup to use MS Word as my email editor.

Hope I provided enough info. If not, let me know.

Thanks for all the hard work on Evernote!! :)

BTW... Where should we be submitting beta issues, like this, to? Is it ok to just put a forum post like this or should we send an email?

I sent the same email with the same screenshot today and, while it made it to Evernote much faster, Evernote still didn't get the screenshot. It's just a blank note with a title. Here are the details of the email:

The email with the image was empty in Evernote. I was using Outlook 2003 when I sent the email and the body of the email only contained a pasted screenshot. The screenshot was pasted directly into the email, not an attachment. Also, I have Outlook setup to use MS Word as my email editor.

So, this is still a problem. Please let me know if you need further details.

More details for my last post:

EN3 does not get the embedded image from emails when emails are sent using the following: Outlook 2003, MS Word as the editor, email format Rich Text.

If I change the email format from Rich Text to HTML, EN3 gets the image in the note.

This sounds like a bug.

Thanks!

Aha ... the attachment problem is separate from the mail server delays yesterday.

Microsoft Outlook/Exchange has two different ways of sending attachments (including embedded images). If it thinks the recipient is another Outlook/Exchange user, it will use a proprietary Microsoft "TNEF" file format. If it thinks the recipient is anyone else on the Internet, it will send attachments using Internet standard formats.

I'm 95% sure that your problem is caused by an Outlook configuration that is sending Evernote the proprietary TNEF data files instead of Internet standards. You'd see a similar problem if you sent this mail to a friend that was using Thunderbird, Mail.app, etc.

You can try changing your mail configuration to use Internet standard mail format instead:

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/microsof ... -tnef.html

Let me know if this works

Thanks for the info. As you can see in the attachment, I made the changes. Here are my results:

1) New emails I create are automatically created in HTML format and EN3 creates notes with the embedded image.

2) When I forward an email that was previously saved or sent to me by someone else and was in Rich Text format, the image is not received by EN3.

3) If I change an email type to Rich Text prior to sending, EN3 does not get the image.

I think you are likely correct, but sadly the changes identified in that article only fixed the issue for new emails. Why does Microsoft always have to use proprietary formats that mess with other apps?? Can't we all just get along?? :)

Thanks again for the help!

post-10874-131906062043_thumb.jpg

Archived