(Archived) New Note ... simple newbie question

Hi,

Something simple.

I can make my notes appear chronologically from top to bottom in the 'Title' window when I click the Creation Date triangle. I like seeing notes with the newest at the top.

However, is there a way to get the BOTTOM screen to show the 'New Note' facility to appear at the TOP of the screen and not the bottom?

With the view I prefer I have always to scroll down to the bottom to make a new note, when I just want to create a new note at the top, as I like.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

I have searched, and as far as I can see, no-one else seems to want or question what I want.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Which client are you referring to -- this is the general discussion forum; there are forums dedicated to the specific clients which may be more useful to post in.

In the Windows client, just create a new note. It will appear in whatever place in the note list is appropriate for the sorting that you're using. If you're sorting by Created date, it should appear at the top of the list; you don't actually need to 'put' it anywhere.

• Level 5

You did not mention your OS, so I will assume it is Windows

If you are in the List View, there are 3 panels

1.) Left Panel

2.) Note List (upper half on right side)

3.) Note Panel (lower half on right side)

Create a note with Ctrl + N

Untitled Note will appear as the 1st title in the Note List #2

The Note Panel #3 will turn empty and that is where you put your note.

What is the problem with the note in this location?

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm afraid I got lost with all the 'client' stuff ... never heard the word outside the context of an appointment with someone.

This will give you an idea of the standard I am at. [ I am a computer illiterate 66 year old, but trying my best!!]

Yes, I use Windows XP, and am sorry for having put this post in the wrong place. How very remiss of me.

I'm afraid that your suggestions have not helped though.

'In the Windows client, just create a new note. It will appear in whatever place in the note list is appropriate for the sorting that you're using. If you're sorting by Created date, it should appear at the top of the list; you don't actually need to 'put' it anywhere.'

Perhaps it SHOULD, but it doesn't ... it appears at the bottom, and I need to reorganise the creation date filter.

'Create a note with Ctrl + N

Untitled Note will appear as the 1st title in the Note List #2 ... '

No, it appears at the BOTTOM and I have to re-sort every time.

When I control n, the new note appears at the BOTTOM of the note panel, and then at the BOTTOM of the note list.

Of course I can then REORGANISE by creation date, but it's a bit of a ***** every time.

None of this is a PROBLEM to me ... [i do feel a bit that I was pounced on] .... I just want it do do what I want it to do if possible.

Thanks

Dave

Aahh ...

Just noticed that if I click on the CATEGORY folder that the new note is in, it does end up on the top of the note list, which is where I want it.

It does seem that the note list DOES have to be refreshed each time, either by an extra click on the category, or a click on the creation date triangle.

I wonder why it doesn't seem to want to go to the top of the list automatically?

Dave

• Level 5*

Are you using the Evernote for Windows version 4? In my experience, the notes list auto-sorts itself. If you have the list sorted the way that you prefer (say, creation date, newest to oldest), a new note should appear at the top of the list.

Hi Jeff,

No, don't know what is going on, but I have 2.2.1.386 version .... must be a cut down free one or something.

When I try to update it says that this is the latest version.

I don't need sync, or anything more powerful than I have, so probably stuck with my minor niggle.

Thanks anyway,

Dave

• Level 5*
No, don't know what is going on, but I have 2.2.1.386 version .... must be a cut down free one or something.

Nope, it's just an old version. Very old. And any problems with it will not be fixed, as it's not under active development any more.

If you're interested in the latest version, you can get it here: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/, but I believe it's a struggle to move your old notes into the new version, so it may not be worth it to you.

• Level 5*

Nope; essentially the software is free to use, including sync'ing, image OCR, and all the rest. If you want more capabilities and capacity, you can pay for the Premium edition.

By the way, if you need to migrate from version 2, there's a forum for that: http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=42. I've never done it myself, but there are folks here who can probably help.

Do you know if there is still a free version with fewer bells and whistles? Can't see anything on the site.

As Jeff said, there is no free vs premium/pro version of the software. The difference is in the level of service.

If you're using a Windows version of EN that starts with a 2, then you need to install 3.1, in order to migrate your database. Once you get your data migrated to 3.1, you'd need to install the latest Windows version (starts with a 4) and it will migrate the 3.1 data.

You can install 3.1 from here.

Archived