how to have note open *iPhone Maps App*

Hi,

I'd like to be able to save a note in Evernote, where, when opening on my phone, I could click something (link, button, whatever) and it would open the **iPhone Maps App** (not an embedded web version of google maps). Is this possible? I can't find a way to do this.

thanks

Chris

I don't think you can do this and I'm pretty sure Apple don't support it.

I'm not sure why you say that Apple doesn't support linking to a Maps app:

• [*:3w1owh6s]There are number of Apps that already do this.
    [*:3w1owh6s]iOS provides support for opening a "document" in another App.

Thanks for the suggestion. Launching an external application is a little rough on iOS, since there isn't as clean a way to go back to the original app. That's why we display the map inside our own app, so that you can go back and forth from notes to map more smoothly.

Thanks for the suggestion. Launching an external application is a little rough on iOS, since there isn't as clean a way to go back to the original app. That's why we display the map inside our own app, so that you can go back and forth from notes to map more smoothly.

Hi Dave, thanks for confirmation.

Please consider adding this as a user option (user can choose to view in Evernote built-in map or native Maps app). I'm a new user to Evernote so I'm just learning my way around, but I was surprised that this function wasn't there. The Evernote built-in map is limited functionally compared to the native Maps app (e.g. can't do "directions from current location"). I would _love_ to be able to do this, I am using Evernote to keep track of certain places that I want to visit in town, and this would save me a rather manual copy/paste into the Maps app after bringing it up in Evernote.

Chris

Well, I don't know myself how "rough" it is to do this, but I do know that several other iOS apps, like Yelp and Urbanspoon, provide a direct link to Google Maps.

Urbanspoon first displays the map within the app, with a button to GoogleMaps.

Getting back to Evernote, or any iOS app, is now extremely easy. Just double-tap the Home button and select Evernote.

The built-in map is very slow and really doesn't provide much in the way of functionality. The built-in map option in 'Awesome Note' is much nicer. It's quicker and allows you to type in the exact address and then it place a map right in your note. You don't have to leave the app to do this. The nice thing is that when you go back to the note you tap on the map and it takes you out to the iphone map so you can get directions. I think it would be a nice up grade. The current set up is just not good.

• 1 month later...

It would be a great feature to open a location in Google maps, or at the very least copy and paste the lat/long. Without this feature the location tool is useless as the main reason to save a location in Evernote is to go back to that location again. If we cannot produce directions or use compass feature then it makes the mapping not very practical.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So it is possible to do this.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/MapLinks/MapLinks.html

On ios and osx if there is a hyperlink with the following url pattern it will automatically open in the Maps app.

<a href="http://maps.apple.com/?q=cupertino">Cupertino</a>

If that link is clicked in your phone will open the maps app to cupertino and there are other parameters to get different types of functionality. Look at the API page for those details.

So in evernote I would prob write something like "Maps Link" and then create a hyperlink to this text with the appropriate url such as "http://maps.apple.com/?q=cupertino".

This will in ios and osx open in the maps app in any other platform it will automatically open to google maps which in my opinion is an added bonus cause it pretty much makes this a universal thing.

• 10 months later...

Archived