(Archived) Evernote 3 toolbar icons replacement for Mac

Ahh, the first skinning for Evernote ever! And a long time coming. I am not a Mac user, but bravo kuswanto! More for Windows...

(Note to Evernote: Deleting this thread, locking the interface, or cease-and-desisting this guy would be a mistake in my view....)

(Note to Evernote: Deleting this thread, locking the interface, or cease-and-desisting this guy would be a mistake in my view....)

So paranoid. ;-) The first thing I did when I saw this post was send it to our Mac lead with a note saying "wow!"

So paranoid. ;-) The first thing I did when I saw this post was send it to our Mac lead with a note saying "wow!"

That's a bit condescending Dave. Why would I think that Evernote might be protective of its new look, after a complete overhaul of its software, redesign of its website, and jettisoning of a raft of user-inspired features? Forgive me if my understanding of Evernote's relationship to its users' input has been a bit rewired.

now I don't feel silly thinking evernote looks a little un-mac-like. :D

Still pretty new to Mac, just a few weeks. I hadn't really noticed the difference. Now that you mention it, EN is different this way. Thank goodness! I do find the all gray windows on my iMac, though "clean" looking, boring. I miss the ability to color things up that I had in Windoze. I guess I'd take colorful (read visually interesting) over clean anyday.

This is a fascinating thread (and the following really has little to do with EN)...

First, one of the most compelling advantages of the OS X platform for me, as someone who's been a Windows-only user until just recently, is the consistency in the look-and-feel of the Mac OS and applications. While there are definitely applications that break with the Mac conventions, and some are mighty fine applications, for the most part applications look and act precisely as I expect. To me, that's a good thing, and so far I'm finding it more productive rather than merely boring.

Second, I don't think that EN would have to be ashamed at all were it concerned about others essentially rewriting the application (to whatever extent), for any number of reasons. At the very least, it could cause a serious support issue should someone's "skinning" cause the application to break. Now, were EN to make such alterations a part of the solution, then they could establish the ground rules, and, at least, make sure everyone knows that the user's at his/her own mercy with such things.

I plan to stick with the application as EN officially releases it. I use it in doing my job, and to me, it's at least a little scary to think about hacking things at this point.

Archived