(Archived) Audio clips

I have successfully made an audio clip on my phone, emailed it to my EN account, and found it within my desktop EN notes. It is displayed as xxxx.wav. All is good, until I double click to play, then I get error meesage "Can't follow link '#cid:809', error code: 2". Am I doing something wrong, Is EN desktop not capable of playing a .wav, or is this a bug? (Note: it played fine when I tried it from my EN web account)

Thanks.

beta 3.0.0.594

Vista SP1

To the moderator, sorry if this post is in the wrong section. I just now found the "bugs" topic, as I had not scrolled down far enough in the main index before I saw this "beta3" topic. Please feel free to move it if you see fit, same as my other "bug" post that has been answered already (Dialog box does not disappear).

Thanks, Mike

This forum is fine, although you can also file bug reports via the "Feedback" link on our Support page:

http://www.evernote.com/about/feedback/

What you described should work correctly. I just confirmed that I can play a .wav resource from the current Windows client on Vista.

Perhaps the audio format produced by your phone isn't compatible. You could try grabbing a reference .wav file and drag that into your Windows client to see whether that plays ok. E.g. take one of the ones from this page:

http://www.nch.com.au/acm/index.html

The reference file worked fine (I had no thought to just drag a local wav to a note). As you say, it must be my phone's .wav format (Motorola Razr v3). That is disappointing news, as that capability was a substantial selling feature for me. But certainly not a deal-killer. I`ll cross my fingers compatibility will be improved in the future.

(Lurkers: Has anyone got it working with this phone type?)

Thanks anyway for the reply

edit: Still I can't help but wonder, why does it play fine from my web account? That, to my sometimes limited and flawed logic, would seem to imply that the format is OK.

Motorola phones use the AMR (Adaptive Multi-Rate) audio format. You might try one of the AMR to WAV converters - search the web for "amr to wav conversion" and you'll see a wide range of solutions.

Motorola phones use the AMR (Adaptive Multi-Rate) audio format. You might try one of the AMR to WAV converters - search the web for "amr to wav conversion" and you'll see a wide range of solutions.

I`m sure I could convert them, but after all that would sort of ruin the point, in terms of convenience. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well after some "playing" I have a whole new take on this error, and I`ll try to be as descriptive as possible but please ask questions if my thoughts don't translate well.

OK in the original post, I had been trying to double click the text link in the note. Excuse my lack of observation, but I had not noticed a small audio icon in the lower left corner of the note. So a few minutes ago I tried to double click that instead. The new error I received was this:

"Can't open file 'C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\EN01bcf56e', error code: 31"

I went to the temp folder, and tried to open the file directly. Well it has no file extension, so when prompted I told it to open with WMP. Then the clip played fine. So I renamed the clip with a .wav extension and now it opens and plays fine within WMP. (although of course this doesn't help the problem playing within EN)

So, to me, it seems that either EN or T-Mobile is leaving off the extension, although in the text link it does show .wav as an extension. Is it possible there is another solution that is being overlooked?

Thanks for your time, and excuse me if I`m reading more into this than I should be.

Mike

How did you originally get this audio file from your phone to the account? Did you email it directly from the phone (e.g. via MMS), or did you transfer this to your PC first?

How did you originally get this audio file from your phone to the account? Did you email it directly from the phone (e.g. via MMS), or did you transfer this to your PC first?

It was emailed directly from phone to EN email address. Actually that was just one of several different voice clips/email trials, all with same result.

To be clear, here is a summary, if it helps at all:

Audio clip email to EN address: YES

Audio clip appears as a new note in EN desktop and EN web interface: YES

Note displays a .wav extension in the text link to it: YES

Audio clip plays when clicked within EN web interface: YES

Audio clip plays when clicked within desktop version: NO.

Audio clip has extension in temp folder of desktop version: NO

gnologic, not a solution to the problem using the files sent by your RAZR, but an alternative method to sending audio data via your cell phone would be to use Jott.com. It will e-mail a transcription of your voice message you record with Jott to your default Evernote notebook along with a link to the original audio file. I believe the audio file stays on Jott's servers as when you click the link, it takes you there.The text of the transcription ends up in your Evernote notebook and of course is editable and becomes searchable.

The first I`ve heard of Jott. I checked into it, and looks to be very handy. In fact, I like it so much, I`m not going to use it. That makes no sense? Well in general I shy away from anything that is going to cost me monthly/yearly down the road (they state it's free during beta only). I dont want to get so used to it that I "cant live without it".

Now this is also EN's new philosphy, I believe, (10,000 notes over a span of many years, then you'll pay whatever they want). But I'm willing to bet my usage will always be under the free limit, and I feel they must always provide a free version or people will simply never start using it to begin with. EN may be the first to jump in the direction they are going but certainly, with no shadow of a doubt, they get it wrong or too expensive and there will be 50 more like it even better and cheaper (in that case, a few hours of cut-n-paste never hurt anyone).

Competition is a good thing - for both Evernote and Jott. Just recently Dial2Do.com recently launched their service - very similar to Jott, also available in 18 other countries along with the US. They are currently in private beta so I can't comment on the quality of their service, but several blog posts have said good things. So maybe competition will keep everyone honest - or at least affordable.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Evernote programming.

DEngberg,

I`d be happy to help, but can you please resend email? I quickly previewed the message within my spam filter, but before I got it open in Thunderbird, it seems to have simply vanished (for lack of a better explanation). Sorry!

Archived